Raw veggies and calories!

Options
Do you track all your raw vegetables? I track everything right now, but some vegetables seem pointless to track, like celery, or cucumber. Just curious anyway!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I track them, but I may not be as spot on with accurate measurements as I am with other foods.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It helps when it comes down to vitamins and minerals to keep track!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I track everything, even cucumbers. Echoing above; I want to know my nutrient intake for the day!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I track them, but I may not be as spot on with accurate measurements as I am with other foods.

I have grown lazier over time. I still try and track everything I consume when I am concerned about calories or macros, but like Alatariel75, I have grown pretty comfortable eyeballing a lot of veggies. I still can't eyeball rice, pasta, bread, meats, etc. when I've got some clearly defined goals in mind -- the more calorie dense stuff I still try hard to weigh and measure accurately. I no longer really sweat making sure I've nailed exactly how much raw spinach I am eating.

However - when I was losing and learning how to track calories, I tracked everything I reasonably could down to the gram - and I am glad I did because it taught me a lot about calories and about nutrition, too.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything, including veggies, but I eat a lot of veggies so they make up a large portion of my calorie consumption each day. I believe that you can be a little bit lazier with using MFP logs like "cucumber, 1 medium" in a way you can't be with other foods and still log relatively accurately, but it's worth weighing all foods when you can if you have a good scale, and if you don't, they're quite affordable (Mine was under $20 and I've had it for about a year now).
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you're serious about cutting / bulking.... track them.

• ewartluft
    ewartluft Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a whole meal, like a large salad w/ toppings, I don't track any veggies I eat.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I track everything.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I track everything except spices. I have no time for that. So scallions, broccoli, celery, cucumbers, yes I track them. A large english cucumber is more than 50 calories and I have been known to eat the whole thing with some vinegar and salt and pepper!!! I don't track things like vinegar or a squeeze of lemon or lime. I use very small amounts of those.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I burn the calories in lettuce and cucumber simply by the act of logging them LOL
  • NorthernCardinal
    NorthernCardinal Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I also measure and/or weigh calorie dense food, but I just honestly wasnt sure it was worth it for veggies. Foreinstance, I make gordon ramseys version of broccoli soup. Its just broccoli, water, and salt. I reduce the salt because i dont want to swell up like a baloon, but the soup is like maybe 34cals for a bowl, I have tracked it, but have always wondered if simply eating/digesting it burns the calories. I just dont think anyone ever got fat off a cucumber lol!
  • reallyrosy
    reallyrosy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good to know! I also measure and/or weigh calorie dense food, but I just honestly wasnt sure it was worth it for veggies. Foreinstance, I make gordon ramseys version of broccoli soup. Its just broccoli, water, and salt. I reduce the salt because i dont want to swell up like a baloon, but the soup is like maybe 34cals for a bowl, I have tracked it, but have always wondered if simply eating/digesting it burns the calories. I just dont think anyone ever got fat off a cucumber lol!

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

That's a myth. Celery has a thermic effect of 8% and expends half a calorie (assuming a 6 kcal medium stalk) to digest completely.

I weigh because I already have the scale out. Maybe if I was to make a snack of low-calorie veggies alone, but I don't usually do that.