"Slim Fast", is it worth it?

Options
Hiya! another quick question, I just started this whole slim fast thing, figured it'd help me get my sodium levels down and you know it just works really well with a schedule that has a ten minute lunch break but I've been getting these monster headaches for a while and since that's all I've really changed recently, I was wondering if any of you guys had experienced something similar while starting or if you had any tips, or stories you'd like to share.

Thanks! :)
Red.

Replies

• helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    No. Eat real food.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ditch the Slim Fast. It's a gimmick and not worth your money. Put your money towards real food.

Weigh your food. Log consistently and accurately. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

You are most likely experiencing headaches from 1) not eating enough and 2) not drinking enough.
  • MegBMin
    MegBMin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever tried Slim Fast was about 7 years ago when my gall bladder was trying to murder me and I couldn't eat real food. I alternated between that and Carnation Instant breakfast, you know, for variety.

How many meals a day are you replacing with it? In general, if you're not terribly active, I guess there is nothing wrong with swapping out ONE meal with a meal replacement shake, but there are much better options out there. But I would say that this is for sure at least a small catalyst for your headaches, if you're replacing more than one meal with them.

Have you investigated any other protein powders, etc that might give you a little more heft to your meals?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I agree with Meg, doing it one meal a day probably won't harm you.
    Having a protein powder will probably be more protein, fewer calories, and less sugar than SlimFast.

Having real food would be even better. Even in 10 minutes you could have a sandwich, yogurt, piece of fruit, maybe some crudites (dipped in hummus?) & a hard-boiled egg.

51637601.png
  • maisierosej97
    Options
    I'm on Slim fast and I love it!! Never hungry, and losing weight too!! Week 1 - 7lbs lost! :smiley: Can't believe it - my advice is just to combine it with regular exercise xxx
  • Phoebeg1723
    Phoebeg1723 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm on Slim fast and I love it!! Never hungry, and losing weight too!! Week 1 - 7lbs lost! :smiley: Can't believe it - my advice is just to combine it with regular exercise xxx

Yes the problems come when you stop the slim fast and go back to eating normally. Be prepared for a lot of that weight lose to go straight back on
  • vikkiitoria
    vikkiitoria Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Gonna be the odd one out here because I really like SlimFast. I only believe in losing weight through eating clean and exercise however I always have these around the house. They're great when you don't want to make a meal or don't have anything healthy. I don't do the actual diet (the 2 a day) I just use them to fill in a few times a week.
    Are you drinking the powder form or the prepackaged form? If powder, make sure you are mixing with 2% milk or at least hitting your minimum calorie goal.. maybe you're logging wrong and not eating enough, could that be the cause of your headaches?

Yes the problems come when you stop the slim fast and go back to eating normally. Be prepared for a lot of that weight lose to go straight back on

This could be a concern, but that goes for any weightloss. If you're maintaining after you lose weight I don't think you should have any problems.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You should get your blood pressure checked.
    Monster headaches could be a result of high blood pressure.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Gonna be the odd one out here because I really like SlimFast. I only believe in losing weight through eating clean and exercise however I always have these around the house. They're great when you don't want to make a meal or don't have anything healthy. I don't do the actual diet (the 2 a day) I just use them to fill in a few times a week.
    Are you drinking the powder form or the prepackaged form? If powder, make sure you are mixing with 2% milk or at least hitting your minimum calorie goal.. maybe you're logging wrong and not eating enough, could that be the cause of your headaches?

This could be a concern, but that goes for any weightloss. If you're maintaining after you lose weight I don't think you should have any problems.

I'm so not into clean eating but I really assumed a slim fast shake would not qualify as "clean".
  • vikkiitoria
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm so not into clean eating but I really assumed a slim fast shake would not qualify as "clean".

Haha you're right. I mean't usually I only believe in losing weight through eating clean and exercising but this is my only exception.
  • arditarose
    Options

Haha you're right. I mean't usually I only believe in losing weight through eating clean and exercising but this is my only exception.

Ah, okay. And I didn't mean I'm "so not into" it, I just meant I am not into the clean eating only diets, as a way to lose weight.
  • vikkiitoria
    Options

Ah, okay. And I didn't mean I'm "so not into" it, I just meant I am not into the clean eating only diets, as a way to lose weight.

No, no I'm the same way, i enjoy myself a good cheese burger once in a while :smiley: I mean compared to the crazy fad diets and pills out there.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I only believe in losing weight through eating clean and exercise

What happens if you eat dirty?
  • arditarose
    Options

What happens if you eat dirty and don't exercise?
  • vikkiitoria
    Options

haha wouldn't want to find out
  • missiontofitness
    Options

What happens if you eat dirty and don't exercise?

What happens if you eat dirty, don't exercise, and don't believe?
  • arditarose
    Options

You'd still lose if you were in a deficit.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Well, you can find out through me.
    27lb gone and it has stayed off.
  • arditarose
    Options