Planet Fitness Comes to Canada

Options

Replies

• tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »

They're planning on opening 80 within the Greater Toronto Area.

The new facilities are not to accommodate the number of existing members, but to move into additional areas to sell more memberships. The square footage will be large enough to be attractive but not large enough for the amount of people that they plan on signing up.

Read the article http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/12/30/373996649/why-we-sign-up-for-gym-memberships-but-don-t-go-to-the-gym
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    First off, you won't find one gym whose goal isn't to make money. That's every gyms goal- not just PF.

PF is cheap because they don't have PT's and they don't have a juice/smoothie bar like most gyms do.

I have three gym memberships… The Y (costs me $100 a month), PF ($10 a month), and my school's gym ($30 a month). PF has equipment the Y and my school's gym doesn't. And the Y and my school's gym have equipment that PF doesn't.

There's no reason for all the bashing against PF.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Gyms have smoothie bars? I need to find that. There's times after a workout when I just want a big ol cup of carrot and wheat grass juice. Oh man.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    First off, you won't find one gym whose goal isn't to make money. That's every gyms goal- not just PF.

PF is cheap because they don't have PT's and they don't have a juice/smoothie bar like most gyms do.

I have three gym memberships… The Y (costs me $100 a month), PF ($10 a month), and my school's gym ($30 a month). PF has equipment the Y and my school's gym doesn't. And the Y and my school's gym have equipment that PF doesn't.

Most do?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Gyms have smoothie bars? I need to find that. There's times after a workout when I just want a big ol cup of carrot and wheat grass juice. Oh man.

I hear there's a new product coming out for that...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Most do?

Most gyms have personal trainers, yes.

I didn't mean most gyms have juice/smoothie bars. Should've put that in a separate sentence. But I have been to gyms that have juice bars. The gyms in my town have juice bars, but then again, I live in an extremely affluent area so it's no surprise.

Point is, the more amenities a gym has, the more they have to charge.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

I hear there's a new product coming out for that...

I have a juicer. Bought it right after I saw that juice-umentary, Fat Sick and Nearly Antipodean.
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Retro Fitness has smoothie bars. Not having one would not make membership cheaper? It turns a profit. I workout at a Retro for $20 a month. I am one of the people that go consistently and it comes to about $.20 an hour for me to use the facility. I am all for cheapo corporate gyms. The problem I have with PF is they purposely target the consumer that will join and not come and exclude anyone that looks muscular or lifts heavy using the excuse it intimidates other members. In actuality, a hard lifting muscular people is more likely to come more often and crowd the gym. That would make selling memberships to the 'less likely to show up people' harder.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Most do?

Most gyms have personal trainers, yes.

I didn't mean most gyms have juice/smoothie bars. Should've put that in a separate sentence. But I have been to gyms that have juice bars. The gyms in my town have juice bars, but then again, I live in an extremely affluent area so it's no surprise.

Point is, the more amenities a gym has, the more they have to charge.

Yes, in many cases the more the amenities the more you pay (In many cases the gym itself doesn't pay the trainers...the client does). However, that doesn't seem to be the case in this instance. I believe it was shown previously in the thread.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    My biggest beef with PF isn't that it's a gym, it's not that it has a judgemental 'judgement free' zone. It's not that they offer free pizza one a week or month. It's not the lunk alarm or that there are no free weights. It's not that the CEO doesn't use his own gyms and works out in his basement.

My beef with PF is that they advertise themselves as a gym for people to get healthy when really, that's the opposite from their real goal. Their real goal is to lure people who don't go to the gym to give them $10/month, every month. There is one, count it: ONE Planet Fitness in Canada so far that opened not long ago. It already has 6000 members. That's $60k in their pocket EVERY MONTH. I'm willing to bet most of those people will only go once or twice, yet they will never cancel their membership.

Planet Fitness isn't in the business to make you healthy. They're in it for the money.

Which, frankly, is brilliant.
    How is this different than every other gym?
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    laurajo521 wrote: »
    I go to Planet Fitness, Gold's Gym and a local community center. Say what you want about Planet Fitness, but no one ever judges me there. There are some pretty heavy lifters at PF, and Gold's has a lot of the same policies that PF does (dropping weights, etc). Last night I went to Gold's and I got disrespect from patrons and a couple of workers. People at PF are much more encouraging. Every gym is what you make it. PF has weight machines, treadmills and stretching cages, so I don't really worry about the rest. Gold's has those things, but I feel like if you aren't at their level, they see you as an annoyance. I don't let it slow me down. In fact, it pushes me harder.

Every gym has the dropping weights rule, because the weights can break if they're dropped.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    For me no Squat Racks / Power Cages / Half Racks = No good. If those pieces of equipment are not in line with your goals then I guess it is ok. From the couple times I have been they just seemed to lack equipment for strength. IMO their focus was just the average Joe. I don't want to be average... I want above average so that is why I am not a member. I will say if that was the only option I had available then I would have to make due.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    For me no Squat Racks / Power Cages / Half Racks = No good. If those pieces of equipment are not in line with your goals then I guess it is ok. From the couple times I have been they just seemed to lack equipment for strength. IMO their focus was just the average Joe. I don't want to be average... I want above average so that is why I am not a member. I will say if that was the only option I had available then I would have to make due.

This is why serious lifters don't go to a gym like PF which only has basic equipment.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Would you still say that if they were to ridicule fat people instead of bodybuilders in their ads? This is a serious question.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Are they going to judge, but judge politely?

Instead of a lunk alarm, it will be recorded audio of someone pointedly clearing their throat in annoyance?

Nope. It's going to literally be the exact same as the American Planet Fitness.

wlitgvcyf9gs.jpg
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    If you've never seen planet fitness trolling on youtube you really should! Its from user kanevskyfitness and they are really funny! I'm giggling thinking about it
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I'm in Canada and I've never heard of Planet Fitness before, but if I could get a second gym membership for $10 a month that was closer to home, for the 2 days a week that I don't need to commute downtown, I would JUMP on it! I'd save double that on gas alone, and would probably add in a few extra workouts here and there on days that I was bored and wanted a double.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    My biggest beef with PF isn't that it's a gym, it's not that it has a judgemental 'judgement free' zone. It's not that they offer free pizza one a week or month. It's not the lunk alarm or that there are no free weights. It's not that the CEO doesn't use his own gyms and works out in his basement.

My beef with PF is that they advertise themselves as a gym for people to get healthy when really, that's the opposite from their real goal. Their real goal is to lure people who don't go to the gym to give them $10/month, every month. There is one, count it: ONE Planet Fitness in Canada so far that opened not long ago. It already has 6000 members. That's $60k in their pocket EVERY MONTH. I'm willing to bet most of those people will only go once or twice, yet they will never cancel their membership.

Planet Fitness isn't in the business to make you healthy. They're in it for the money.

Which, frankly, is brilliant.
    How is this different than every other gym?

Simple. Other gyms offer equipment for someone who is more likely to frequent the gym, and other gyms are more like $50+/month, not $10.
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think the prices are higher in Canada then the US. Also, specific to the area in the US you live in. In my area, $35 is probably average, although I pay $20 for Retro. in the more wealthy areas you'd probably see $50 more often.

I think there is an assumption that if you're not lifting weights like a bodybuilder then you're not frequenting the gym. Or, if you're not paying more money for a membership, you're not using they gym.

I don't think that's necessarily true, just as many people go to my gym that just use the elliptical and leave. I think PF appeals to those type of gym-goers more than one with a big weight floor. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll go less often.

Additionally, if it was intentionally appealing to those who would not use the facilities, as far as ethical concerns, I think the responsibility is more on the person who signed up and didn't use it than the gym. If anything, they're getting more people in the door initially who wouldn't otherwise be going to the gym, and hopefully some of them stick around and get benefit out of it.

When I used to sell memberships (not at PF), we were trained that the best customer is one who doesn't show up, so that's not at all just a PF business move.