I need ideas for high protein, low carb/fat meals.

Options
2»

Replies

• florecita453
    florecita453 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in carbs. Just one has 30 grams. Try plain yogurt with some frozen berries and one egg any way you like for a filling high protein, low-carb breakfast.
    Ground turkey and spices like sage, thyme, oregano, browned with a bit of olive oil to go with scrambled eggs in the morning instead of all that processed sausage from the store.
    Broiled tilapia, spinach salad with some pan seared bell peppers and onion, and a couple of tablespoons of guacamole, and exchange the fish for rotisserie chicken. Add steamed veggies as side dish along with the salad
    Tuna casserole on top of fresh spinach. Make the casserole at home with a bit of cheddar cheese, sautéed onions and garlic, salt pepper and sauté some fresh jalapeño for a little spice.
  • 11diggity
    Options
    White sauce over a cup of broccoli, half a cup of spinach and a few mushrooms, top with crushed cornflakes and a little reduced fat mature cheddar. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees centigrade for 20 minutes. It's about 250 calories, contains 17 grams of protein and 135% of your daily vitamin C intake. Plus, it's very filling :)

Also: wheat free pancake mix by blending 2 eggs and 1 banana

White sauce? Like Alfredo? Fresh spinach? It sounds amazing...do you have a picture?
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm generally more on the higher fat side, but I suppose the salad I had for lunch could be tweaked a bit to be low carb/low fat. I had a taco salad with lean ground beef (made with taco seasoning), cheddar, lettuce, avocado, tomato, crispy tortilla strips and taco sauce. If it was made with turkey and the cheddar and tortilla strips were omitted it could be a decent low carb and fat meal.

Also the banana/egg pancakes are surprisingly satisfying - though yes banana is higher carb.
  • JoKessho
    JoKessho Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    spinach and prawns
    veggies and tofu/meat
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Basically just cook any meal using a low fat protein (chicken breast, pork tenderloin, white fish) and skip on the carby side. So for example, I almost always eat my tagines, chills and curries without rice and my meatloaf with a side of just vegetables. Burgers you can wrap in lettuce.

As for breakfast: yogurt with berries is always a good way to go, as are omelets. You can use more egg whites and less (or no) yolks to keep the fat down.

For lunch, I'd say salads and dinner leftovers are the way to go.
  • careeee
    careeee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use ground chicken breast for a lot of things. I make burgers and add jalapenos chopped onions and cilantro in some. Taco seasoning and onions in others, whatever you feel like I've also made meatloaf with it. So good!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to meet my protein limit without going over my fat limit. - MJC

This is why it is better to get diet information from a dietitian. Nearly all protein sources are bundled with fat, because a lot of the good micro nutrients are bundled in the fat, like the B vitamins. Fat also helps in preserving foods like peanut butter so you can carry them with you.

You can eliminate the fat from eggs by eating the egg whites only. But then you also lose out in all the vitamins in the egg.

You can eliminate the fat from peanut butter by buying PB2 from a health food store but again, miss out in all the vitamins.

Hit the protein targets I say, and stop worrying about the fat. As long as you aren't deep frying your vegetables or drowning your salads in high-fat dressings, the fats will help sustain you.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    May I suggest this:

http://www.rippedrecipes.com

Very good ideas for what you seek.
  • mjc83
    mjc83 Posts: 19
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I can't seem to meet my protein limit without going over my fat limit. - MJC

This is why it is better to get diet information from a dietitian. Nearly all protein sources are bundled with fat, because a lot of the good micro nutrients are bundled in the fat, like the B vitamins. Fat also helps in preserving foods like peanut butter so you can carry them with you.

You can eliminate the fat from eggs by eating the egg whites only. But then you also lose out in all the vitamins in the egg.

You can eliminate the fat from peanut butter by buying PB2 from a health food store but again, miss out in all the vitamins.

Hit the protein targets I say, and stop worrying about the fat. As long as you aren't deep frying your vegetables or drowning your salads in high-fat dressings, the fats will help sustain you.

Thanks that's good info!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You can't eat low carb AND low fat. You need to eat high fat when you eat low carb!
  • eylesa
    eylesa Posts: 2
    Options
    For breakfast I do a protein drink with one cup of almond milk, 1 scoop of powder, and a cup of berries. Make sure you check the protein powder some are high carb high sugar. I use blubonnets.

For lunch I do baked chicken with steamed green vegetables. Any kind on sale is what I purchase.

Snack I have a bag of nuts, mainly almonds. Sometimes I eat celery or bell peppers or cucumbers.

Dinner another protein shake only I use two scoops in the shake to keep me full all night.

Good luck.
  • mjc83
    mjc83 Posts: 19
    Options
    eylesa wrote: »
    For breakfast I do a protein drink with one cup of almond milk, 1 scoop of powder, and a cup of berries. Make sure you check the protein powder some are high carb high sugar. I use blubonnets.

For lunch I do baked chicken with steamed green vegetables. Any kind on sale is what I purchase.

Snack I have a bag of nuts, mainly almonds. Sometimes I eat celery or bell peppers or cucumbers.

Dinner another protein shake only I use two scoops in the shake to keep me full all night.

Good luck.

I may actually take that into consideration. A friend of mine does the protein shakes and recommended it.
  • reg1056
    reg1056 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow that shakshuka looks amazing! I'm trying that - tomatoes and eggs are my favorite things but I never would think to try them together.
  • eseviour1981
    Options
    Lettuce wraps work well. I've been eating a lot of them for lunches while trying to get down to my goal weight. I've made Asian versions, taco versions etc. Using ground turkey keeps the fat down to a reasonable level, and using lettuce instead of something like tortillas reduces the carbs. You can increase the protein by adding things like beans too.