Best protein/fat/carb ratio?

Options
Okay so I've noticed that we need to determine the ratio needed to match to 100% but was wondering is it better more protein than the other two or more equal ?? New to weight loss and I am trying to monitor all this as well as calorie intake.. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am set to 45 / 25 / 30. My protein is 50..

I found that the following in research and may start the debate.

Dietary allowances for carbohydrates is 130 grams per day for adults. Protein is 46 grams per day for women, 56 grams per day for men and 71 grams each day for pregnant and nursing women. Regardless of the protein and carb balance that’s appropriate for your individual needs, aim to consume at least the RDA for protein and carbs each day.

Macronutrient Distribution Ranges

The Institute of Medicine has also established acceptable macronutrient distribution ranges, or AMDRs, for carbohydrates and protein. AMDRs are percentages of your total daily calorie intake that should come from carbohydrates, protein and fat. Based on these guidelines, you should consume between 45 and 65 percent of your daily calories from carbohydrates and 10 to 35 percent of your calories from protein. For a 2,000-calorie diet, this means consuming 225 to 325 grams of carbs and 50 to 175 grams of protein each day.

Weight Loss

High-protein, low-carb diets are often effective for weight loss because they can lead to a reduction in calories. However, consuming a diet too low in carbs is difficult to adhere to long-term.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    The simple answer is one that you can stick to, like carbs? have a higher percentage of carbs, like fats? have a higher percentage of fats, like protein? have a higher percentage of that. No one macronutrient is going to change the magic formula of calories in vs calories out.

Looking past that I'd say it came down to;

a) How you are going about reaching your goal. For example, maybe you are doing a lot of gym work and want to preserve lean muscle whilst losing body fat, a higher protein intake may be beneficial. Although, maybe you want to fuel those workout with lots of carbs because your energy levels drop during a workout, eat a higher ratio of carbs.

b) How your body feels. From personal experience I do better on a higher protein and fat ratio, as carbs tend to make me feel sluggish, so I keep the carb ratio in check.

So, concentrate on consuming less calories than you use, and then begin to tinker with macronutrient levels to suit.
  • jozerrr
    jozerrr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Perfect!!! Thank you both... I definitely loves to eat protein so It would be more easy to eat more protein and less about the other two.. I will try to see my pattern I am using and adjust as needed.. Thank again :)