Nutritionist opinions? Worth seeing?

I have a lot of food issues (texture, taste etc.) and I'm really struggling with what to eat. I was thinking about going to see a nutritionist. I found one nearby that offers $99 initial consultations and then a $35 follow up a few weeks later. According to the information I got from her, she works one on one to develop a personalized lifestyle plan. She works to help achieve diet and lifestyle goals...

I've heard from some people that seeing a nutritionist is a waste of time and from some people that it really helped... Anyone find it really helped them??

Replies

• Some ins. Companies will pay for it. I think it was a 100./' worth it to me. She gave me a plan to follow that was set to what I like.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    If you're going to spend the money, see a registered dietician. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist without having the slightest educational background.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    ^ What FatFreeFrolicking said. You want to see a registered dietician, not a nutritionist. RDs are accredited, and have undergrads in nutrition. Any random person can claim to be a nutritionist.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    If you're going to spend the money, see a registered dietician. Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist without having the slightest educational background.

Came in here to say this.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    ^ What FatFreeFrolicking said. You want to see a registered dietician, not a nutritionist. RDs are accredited, and have undergrads in nutrition. Any random person can claim to be a nutritionist.

this
  • I went to a nutritionist with Kaiser for a while and it was the only time I actually lost some weight. The biggest advantage was the information I was taught that I continue to us. I was experiencing a lot of stress at the time and we decided I needed to focus on learning to deal with the stress and then tackle my weight. I am hoping to go back to see her again. I think it is worth it but it was also covered by my insurance.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Nutritionist? No - Registered Dietitian - possibly. And check with your insurance - some cover visits to see a registered dietitian . My visit was covered by insurance and she was horrible - waste of time, but I'd be open to seeing one again if I was referred to someone good.
    -
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    see a registered dietician is best and yes they can be very helpful. I learned a lot from mine. She also worked within what I liked and didn't push her own agenda and idea of pills for supplementing. It can be a great experience
  • grandlinegirl
    grandlinegirl Posts: 49 Member
    I don't have insurance :( I'm just a college student.

She comes highly recommended in my small city. From my research, I'm only finding holistic nutritionists in my city and I can't travel anywhere. I don't drive.
  • grandlinegirl
    Okay, I found one but she's from Toronto and she only offers sessions by Skype. That's not what I'm looking for at all.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Check on campus My RD is actually at university cheap too
  • grandlinegirl
    Nothing. Again, we're a small city with a small college. Sometimes I hate being here!

Now I'm not sure at all if I should go for it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I don't have insurance :( I'm just a college student.

She comes highly recommended in my small city. From my research, I'm only finding holistic nutritionists in my city and I can't travel anywhere. I don't drive.

I wouldn't trust anyone who puts holistic in their title-- that's a big red flag for pseudoscience.

I'd ask someone at your student health center. I'll bet they keep a dietician on campus someplace.
  • grandlinegirl
    Alright. I will cancel my appointment and see what else I can find.