Gaining Weight While Eating Less Calories

Options
Hi! Can anyone give me their thoughts on why I am gaining weight on a low calorie diet. I am a male and fitness app says to hit my goals I need to eat less then 1,800 a day.

I started 2 weeks ago, eating clean, removing majority of sugar and carbs from meals, tracking everything. Most days I am at 1,100-1,300. The first week was great felt good, lots of energy and lost a couple pounds. This week same routine but feel sluggish and have gained a couple pounds.

Any suggestions? Not eating enough carbs? Calories? Crank up the exercise?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 1,800 why are you only eating 1,100 - 1,300?! That's too low! You're a grown man, don't eat like a child. Eat your calorie goal. Then go from there. No wonder you're sluggish - your body needs nutrients to function properly.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    But even if he was eating 1100-1300, he'd be losing weight. OP, I think you should take some time and start weighing your food if you haven't been (and be sure to eat all your 1800 calories). Cutting out foods and eating clean does not create a calorie deficit, less food in general does.

• bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights in a calorie deficit would be considering cutting. The object of a cutting phase is to lose as much fat as possible while minimizing muscle loss.

CUTTING SUMMARY:
    •Small meals every 2-3 hours
    •Cut back on the carbs (oats, rice, potatoes, etc..)
    •Your overall calories must be decreased (mostly from the carbs).
    •Increase your cardiovascular workouts, frequency and durations.
    •Don't try to cut weight too fast... slow and efficient is the way to go. If you see your lifts going down week after week, that is an indicator that you need more nutrition to maintain your muscle mass.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    bos10fit wrote: »
    Lifting weights in a calorie deficit would be considering cutting. The object of a cutting phase is to lose as much fat as possible while minimizing muscle loss.

CUTTING SUMMARY:
    •Don't try to cut weight too fast... slow and efficient is the way to go. If you see your lifts going down week after week, that is an indicator that you need more nutrition to maintain your muscle mass.

I think you accidentally posted on the wrong thread
  • Rlyn444
    Rlyn444 Posts: 27
    Options
    Also too you said you cut way back on carbohydrates, which is good but if your under your goal eat more of them because that is actually one of your body's main energy resources and helps you to also metabolize as well .
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Stock answer You are gaining weight because you are consuming more calories than you are expending.

I'd forget about "eating clean" and "removing majority of sugar and carbs from meals" and concentrate being in a calorific deficit by hitting your goal of 1800 calories.

Do this for 3 or 4 weeks coupled with regular exercise. If you are losing too fast, increase it, losing too slow, decrease it (albeit not by much).

1,100-1,300 is ridiculous.

• latresweet
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Stock answer You are gaining weight because you are consuming more calories than you are expending.

I'd forget about "eating clean" and "removing majority of sugar and carbs from meals" and concentrate being in a calorific deficit by hitting your goal of 1800 calories.

Do this for 3 or 4 weeks coupled with regular exercise. If you are losing too fast, increase it, losing too slow, decrease it (albeit not by much).

1,100-1,300 is ridiculous.

• theoryofempire
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? Also, how is your sodium intake? Too little or too much can cause issues.

I know I bloat like crazy and feel horrible from just one day of not getting enough water.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    bos10fit wrote: »

CUTTING SUMMARY:

I think you accidentally posted on the wrong thread

Haha yeah, sorry. Had multiple up!