Should I stop eating beans.....

Options
2»

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Well, beans do have a significant amount of carbs, so what he is saying does make some sense. I love beans but really limit the quantity for that reason. Generally, it's hard to put on muscle without increasing protein and reducing carbs.

As a vegetarian though...I don't really see how you can live without them.
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Well, beans do have a significant amount of carbs, so what he is saying does make some sense. I love beans but really limit the quantity for that reason. Generally, it's hard to put on muscle without increasing protein and reducing carbs.

Thank you!
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    have you read "thrive" by brendan brazier? i think that's his name. anyway, professional vegan athlete. my vegan cousin swears by him.

I will look into this.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Why would one need to reduce carbs to put on muscle?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

you got that backwards…

increase carbs = add more muscle
    increase protein = maintain as much existing muscle as possible when one is in a calorie deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Why would one need to reduce carbs to put on muscle?

because carbs bad?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Beans are little tiny protein and fiber bombs that pack a huge punch. Eat them.

Yes.

Eat a giant bowl of them before going to your trainer and let one rip.
    Let him know you can pack a punch in two different ways, no matter what foods you decide to eat.

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Beans = protein, fiber, micronutrients and low calorie. Sounds like the perfect "diet food" to me.

Kung fu teachers =/= nutritionist

This. I can't even fathom how someone could pick beans as a food to cut out, Unless you keep farting on him and that was his discrete way of making you stop. :smiley:

Depends... would that constitute a forfeit?

In all seriousness, keep eating beans if you like. High in protein and Fiber and, in my opinion, delicious. There really shouldn't be any need to cut out a whole food group.

• MikeLAdams
    Options
    You should match your macro-nutrients (percent calories from fat, protein and carbs) to your work out regimen, and eat healthy foods as much as possible within your calorie limit. Beans fit in to that program quite nicely. Currently, I am going for 20% fat, 30% protein, 50% carbs. With a 1500 net calorie limit and working out 5 times a week, I was losing 3 pounds per week with that program when I was really overweight. Lots of salads, lots of cabbage, LOTS of beans = LOTS of fat loss.