new three wks. fighting diabetes .

Options
43 working on a healthy new life

Replies

• clash71
    Options
    43 and diagnosed last week with type 2. Also working on a healthy new life.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to both of you. Are you already on insulin or are you working on avoiding it right now?
  • clash71
    Options
    The only good news I had in the last week was that I was producing sufficient insulin. I have dropped my BG levels in the first week with a single medication and diet modification. It will take a few months to see if that stabilizes and if I stay that lucky.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    clash71 wrote: »
    The only good news I had in the last week was that I was producing sufficient insulin. I have dropped my BG levels in the first week with a single medication and diet modification. It will take a few months to see if that stabilizes and if I stay that lucky.

Sounds good, are you on a diet and exercise plan?
  • clash71
    Options
    I am working through it now with my doc. I am trying a lower carb, very low sugar diet with almost no carbs at night. All my BP and Cholesterol levels were good enough to try this first, so protein is ok and sensible fats are ok. I am trying to get more active and have been working in 30 minutes brisk walks, with a goal to be walking/jogging for an hour at least 5 days a week within a month. Back to running 5k's like I did 10 years ago within a few months.

I figured this site would help me correlate the food I eat and how my body metabolizes it and what it does to my BG levels.

My trouble is my job and travel. I am in IT with occasional crazy hours and travel at least 50k air miles a year. Staying focused and true to my diet and exercise plan is easy when I am at home and can maintain focus. I am nervous about going into the big bad world out there knowing I have this disease.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I understand crazy life schedules and travel; hope it all works out for you!
  • ahopson214
    Options
    Hi to both fellow diabetics! I'm 29, Type 1 since age 18. Insulin dependent, of course. I started getting serious with MFP about a week ago and so far have already seen my insulin dose decrease (and 1.4 lbs drop off!). Good luck and I know that this site can help you.
  • juliekamps
    Options
    Is there a group on here for people diagnosed with diabetes and trying to reverse it? Thanks.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    juliekamps wrote: »
    Is there a group on here for people diagnosed with diabetes and trying to reverse it? Thanks.

here is the one for T2D: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    clash71 wrote: »
    I am working through it now with my doc. I am trying a lower carb, very low sugar diet with almost no carbs at night. All my BP and Cholesterol levels were good enough to try this first, so protein is ok and sensible fats are ok. I am trying to get more active and have been working in 30 minutes brisk walks, with a goal to be walking/jogging for an hour at least 5 days a week within a month. Back to running 5k's like I did 10 years ago within a few months.

I figured this site would help me correlate the food I eat and how my body metabolizes it and what it does to my BG levels.

My trouble is my job and travel. I am in IT with occasional crazy hours and travel at least 50k air miles a year. Staying focused and true to my diet and exercise plan is easy when I am at home and can maintain focus. I am nervous about going into the big bad world out there knowing I have this disease.

Sounds like what I was doing. My doctor gave me a daily maximum of 180 g of carbs, but no restrictions on sugars or timing. My current target is 160 g. (35% of my total calories).

I was diagnosed last January and was put on one medication. We started with metformin but my kidneys didn't like it so we switched to glipizide. In December, she took me off the meds so I am now diet and exercise controlled only.

Good luck. MFP really helps your understanding of food and how it affects your body.