How do you avoid offending??

Options
I have to go to my partners parents place this weekend which is generally no problem except that now I am trying really hard to stick to my eating plan. The problem lies in the fact that they generally fry things or eat foods that I don't think I should be eating. How do I stick to my eating plan without offending them (it really doesn't take much) They don't really understand the concept of portion control and healthy eating.

Replies

• BeardedStud
    Options
    Just say "look homeys, I got to keep this reall and eat my grilled chicken. but yall can have your tub of ice cream and cheerios and diet coke. WORD!"
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Do they make a salad too? Eat a huge salad and a piece of fried whatever. There's usually a way to stay within your calorie goal.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    One day enjoying yourself won't undo your progress, so if you enjoy the food and the only reason to avoid it is a mental one, then I'd say feel free to take a break this weekend. Otherwise, just say the truth: I'm working on losing weight right now, so I just need to be mindful of how much I'm eating.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    Tell them the truth. And bring your own back up food just in case needed. I even now carry my food scale in my purse if I know I am going to eat at some ones home. This way I can weigh my food just as I would at home.
    I may get a odd look at first, but I simply explain, " hay on a diet, I have been doing good, and don't want to get off corse with it so got to do my thing". They understand and tell me they are proud of me.
    Of corse I have gotten the " oh you can take a night off tonight and just eat what ever." I simply say , nope. Sorry my nights off are rare. Maybe once a month and for holidays mostly. Plus I don't feel like spending the extra time at the gym tomorrow trying to burn off extra calories.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Have a little of what they made out of the goodness of their hearts. One day won't ruin everything.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    That's a hard one, but you'll just have to either eat it or tell them.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Tell them the truth. And bring your own back up food just in case needed. I even now carry my food scale in my purse if I know I am going to eat at some ones home. This way I can weigh my food just as I would at home.
    I may get a odd look at first, but I simply explain, " hay on a diet, I have been doing good, and don't want to get off corse with it so got to do my thing". They understand and tell me they are proud of me.
    Of corse I have gotten the " oh you can take a night off tonight and just eat what ever." I simply say , nope. Sorry my nights off are rare. Maybe once a month and for holidays mostly. Plus I don't feel like spending the extra time at the gym tomorrow trying to burn off extra calories.

I'm fine with just guesstimating as needed, but I do kind of wish I felt comfortable doing this. But I would NOT wind up feeling comfortable doing this around extended family :/ I figure that since I don't plan on being as strict with logging when I maintain (will be strict for cuts and probably bulks though) I do want to make sure that I am mentally comfortable just eating to fullness and not having to track all the time.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a tricky situation. I've dug many an unintentional hole with members of my own family in similar circumstances. Start by telling the truth about choosing a healthy lifestyle and let them know that your diet is a big part of the changes you are making. Since the gathering is on the weekend, perhaps offer to bring a plate of food to share. This shows them that you're serious about the changes and gives them an opportunity to try healthy eating for themselves.
    Perhaps the reason they don't understand 'healthy eating' or 'portion control' is because no one has explained it to them. (or maybe they just don't care)
    If they don't like what you bring, then there's more for you.
    If you don't want to eat the food they serve or large amounts of it eat something healthy before you go and you won't have real estate in your stomach for the fry up.
    I've had many criticisms from family members about my eating habits "You don't need to lose 'that' much", "why don't you eat 'real food' any more", "Isn't my cooking good enough for you now", "surely you could have one [insert unhealthy food/drink here]". Honestly, it's a challenge to keep my cool sometimes but, I try to keep things positive and all about my choices rather than returning the criticisms. It works for me most of the time although, some people are easily offended (no matter what you say) so you might just have to accept that they'll take offence anyway.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Have a little of what they made out of the goodness of their hearts. One day won't ruin everything.

I gota go with this one, just try and watch the servings. I have the same problem at my mom's house but its one of the high points of her week to feed everybody bless her.

Problem is it taste so dam good :D

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Can you ask your partner? It's likely you'll get a better idea than any of us could give you, since we don't know these people.

"No, thank you" and "Yes, I'm sure, thanks" work okay most of the time.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Ask if they would like a break from cooking and offer to bring food for everyone
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    In my experience people don't really notice what you eat. After a dinner party I would have no idea if one of my guests didn't eat mashed potatoes or bread or left half their dessert. I would take a little of what she cooks and maybe leave some on the plate, keeping under the radar as much as possible. Mush it around like when you were a kid so it's less obvious.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You're an adult, so buck up, because that means you can choose what you eat, and no one can say boo.

Tell you don't want it if you don't want it.