Does anyone use dietary supplements to aid them in losing w

Options
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone out there uses dietary supplements to help them lose weight? I am skeptical about the ones you see on tv like xenadrine and Kim Kardashin's product, but I wonder if anyone else has had a good experience or would recommend anything to aid in losing weight. I recently was suggested to use Oxyelite Pro, which is a GNC product that is a thermogenic and it has really great reviews and is rated 4 or more stars out of 5. Has anyone ever used this product or had success with a similar product?

Thanks!

Replies

• Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking Oxy but I have a friend who is and she is in love with it! She's trying to get me to take it but a GNC store around me is an hour away so she's sending me some. Guess we'll see how I like it when it arrives!
  • anolan807
    anolan807 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I would like to, but I'm so afraid of them.. I know everything causes something now a days, but I just don't know what to think about using one..
  • LowCarbAmanda
    LowCarbAmanda Posts: 129
    Options
    One of my MFPals is following a similar low carb way of life as me, and she dropped 135 in a year, I believe. I'm only at 8 months, so it's hard to see how we will match up, but I noticed she does take a thermogenic. It may be helping her along! :)
  • deniseoahu
    deniseoahu Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm affraid of having to stay on them to keep weight off. But I'm going to try this natural stuff - I'm gonna buy this week.

I watched Dr. Oz last week and learned a few things from a weight loss nutritionist that was on the show. It was about secret supplements that help with weight loss. I am going to go and get the stuff the nutritionist talked about this week.

* Konjack Root (aka Glucomannan) is a great fiber that helps with weight loss and make us feel full so we eat less
    * Raspberry Key tones help take fat out of system
    * L Carnitine 500 mg 2 times a day helps with energy
    *White Kidney Bean Extract before mean helps neutralize carbs. I found out that it is also called Phase 2 - It apparently keeps the carbs from converting to insulin which converts to fat. It is a starch blocker.

I'm going to pick some up and give it a whirl. Off course you should make sure to talk to physician if you are under any special medical care abut apparently they are all nutritional supplements.
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    If you do decided to take a dietiary suppliment, make sure its an all natural pill that doesn't affect you in the long run. I really don't suggest that you do because then your body depends too much on them after a while of use.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    "Diet pills" work, but they aren't actually very good for you or safe. If you want a good supplement look into natural pills that aren't designed to make you lose weight, but designed to help your body function properly and keep you healthy. If you focus on health, weight loss will come.
  • sarahkroll
    sarahkroll Posts: 6
    Options
    Well I actually just picked up a bottle a couple days ago and I am on day three and I have not had any bad side effects, I just feel really energizer and very focused especially when I workout and after I read all the great reviews I at least wanted to give it a try, but I figured I would ask on here if anyone has ever tried it before.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest I used the pills that prevent your body from absorbing all the fat (I've forgotten the name - sorry) but I found I wasn't disciplined enough and would simply take them when I'd just gorged on highly fatty foods. There were a lot of unpleasant side effects as well, largely centring around urgent dashes to the loo...

They're probably fine if you're very obese and your doctor recommends them but only if you also cut down the fat at the same time! As for all natural supplements - everything I've read, tried and heard about from friends leads me to think they may get rid of water weight but nothing further. (Otherwise we'd all be taking them - surely?) Do let us know though...
  • bass402
    bass402 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    oxy elite is good. its not a gnc product BTW. you can order it on amazon for cheaper.
  • Maripoza28
    Maripoza28 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I heard those were really good, I wish I could take them but I don't take caffeine to well. try them let us know!
  • digidan
    digidan Posts: 3
    Options
    I use Recreate (not a huge stimulant) every week and cycle off that to Oxy Elite pro(big time stimulant). Those are the only thermogenics I take and only in the morning before a workout. I personally cannot handle it if I take it after noon and will get insomnia if I ever take one later than 3pm. They help with stamina and burning a few extra calories, but there is no silver bullet for weight loss. My favorite energy drink is some jasmine green tea in the morning before the gym and at night I relax with some Revolution Chamomile tea to help me sleep and recover.

As far as actual supplements I take Vitamin Code Multivitamin, Vitamin Code B complex, L-Carnitine/Lysine, Vitamin D, L-Glutamine (great for recovery after workout), Jarrow Co Q10, and Jarrow Biotin and Jarrow Pro/Prebiotic. I also use Sprouts Whey Protein and usually drink it with Organic Whole Milk.

If you are going to take any nutritional supplements its best to check with a doctor and get tested for any deficiencies before you start. If you are already on prescription medications its best to make sure anything you take isn't making your medicines more or less effective.

Good Luck!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    absoletly not... I use to take trimspa with my last diet, worked great, supressed my appetite, and really helped me loose 30pounds, and feel great and full of energy... then i hit a plateu where i couldnt loose for over 2weeks (my body built a tollerance) and once i stopped taking them i gained everything back, plus an additional 40lbs ...

u want to loose weight naturally, because u want it to be something u can live with for the rest of your life... if u want to take some pill for the next 50years, go ahead.

Anything that surpresses your appetite or gives you a false feeling of energy, is not ok... u get plenty of energy by eating well, and after a week of counting calories your body gets use to the calorie intake and you dont have to eat some 1000extra calories to feel full. Im a nearly 300pound person and get full off a small amount of calories and have to actually make sure to eat higher calorie foods so i eat enough calories a day to stay healthy.

also anything with cafeine in it depletes the water in your system, so even drinking coffee or cafeinated tea, is not ok in my book unless u plan to drink extra water in order to replace the depletion. You have to drink half of your body weight in ounces as is, i dont want to be drinking even more (a 300lbs person has to drink 150oz---19cups--over a gallon)
  • haileyco
    haileyco Posts: 68
    Options
    Even when you take the "natural" weight loss meds they mess with your metabolism and then when you stop them your metabolism will slow way down and many will re-gain the weight. Even with the "natural" meds, they can lead to portal hypertension (high bloos pressure), arrythmias (irregular heart rate), tachycardia (elevated resting heart rate)....just to name a few. I would really think twice about taking them. I have a bunch of weight to lose and would like it to come off faster than it will doing it the right way....calories in vs calories burned....but i will not risk having health complications down the road to speed up the process. I am a RN and have seen first hand the damage these weight loss meds cause....