stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    dubird wrote: »
    So, this is more of a rant than anything else, but am I the only one that doesn't actually like 'healthy' food? I hate most veggies. There are few that I'll eat and kinda sorta like if cooked right, but mostly I do not like the taste. Yogurt? If it's not frozen, no. I have yet to try a variety of regular or Greek yogurt that actually tastes good to me. Fruit? I like some fruits ok, and if I have them I'll eat them, but I don't crave them. So telling me to eat fruit when I crave something does NOTHING for the cravings I have. I know that part of getting healthy is eating healthy, but I have no desire to do much in that direction since it's mostly foods I don't like. And the 'eat them often enough and you will like them' doesn't actually help. I've been eating sweet peas for a lot of years since it's about the only cooked green veggie I don't mind eating. Doesn't mean I like them, just means I don't notice them. So, am I just a freak, or is this something a lot of people deal with? What's the point of eating healthy when it makes you not want to eat because you don't like any of the meals?
    I don't understand this.

A grown adult with the eating preferences of a kid. What's scary is that this isn't abnormal, as I wish it were. That's why just about every packaged item in the market has added hfcs.
    So being picky about food has a cut-off age? Good to know. Will you make an I.D. for me so I can order off the kids' menu at restaurants?

Oh no, I have no problem with you having poor taste. You don't need a little badge for your sleeve.

Obviously you have poor taste if you are upset with me generally calling out people with the palate of a child. :)

Nice assumption that I have poor taste because I don't eat every food on the planet and that I'm upset with you. All I want is an official-looking document that will allow me to order grilled cheese sammiches off the kids' menu.

Enjoy your sannakji and kale :)

Have you ever just asked for something off the kids menu?

I do it from time to time when I want a little snack to go with my beer. I doubt Denny's or something like that would do it, but that just means don't frequent places like that.

I'll see your sannakji (I had that in mexico.) and kale, and raise you fiddleheads and huitlacoche. I'll be honest, all I really hope out of people is the sense of adventure to try something new, and the maturity to maintain decorum. I watched a woman have a fit over not liking the texture of okra once. She took a bite of fried okra, stood up, ran around while making loud gagging noises, and waving her hands around in the air.

I went over to her extremely embarassed husband, and said... "You guys have kids, surely she's had that texture in her mouth before?" He spit his drink out he was laughing so hard.

Why wouldn't Denny's do it? I order off of the kid's menu or the senior's menu at IHOP all the time (I'm neither). Never had the wait staff so much as look at me funny.

They DO look at me funny when I order the simple and fit 2 pancakes, 2 eggs breakfast ... and substitute the 'healthy' harvest grain and nut pancakes for chocolate chocolate chip pancakes. :wink:
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Don't feel that way but many do...some of it has to do with how you grew up as well...I was exposed to a lot of fruits and veggies growing up-those were our treats. We used to fight about why had to share artichokes...we looked forward to fresh peaches all year. I crave Brussels sprouts.
    SO no...I guess I don't feel the same.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    So, this is more of a rant than anything else, but am I the only one that doesn't actually like 'healthy' food? I hate most veggies. There are few that I'll eat and kinda sorta like if cooked right, but mostly I do not like the taste. Yogurt? If it's not frozen, no. I have yet to try a variety of regular or Greek yogurt that actually tastes good to me. Fruit? I like some fruits ok, and if I have them I'll eat them, but I don't crave them. So telling me to eat fruit when I crave something does NOTHING for the cravings I have. I know that part of getting healthy is eating healthy, but I have no desire to do much in that direction since it's mostly foods I don't like. And the 'eat them often enough and you will like them' doesn't actually help. I've been eating sweet peas for a lot of years since it's about the only cooked green veggie I don't mind eating. Doesn't mean I like them, just means I don't notice them. So, am I just a freak, or is this something a lot of people deal with? What's the point of eating healthy when it makes you not want to eat because you don't like any of the meals?
    I don't understand this.

A grown adult with the eating preferences of a kid. What's scary is that this isn't abnormal, as I wish it were. That's why just about every packaged item in the market has added hfcs.
    So being picky about food has a cut-off age? Good to know. Will you make an I.D. for me so I can order off the kids' menu at restaurants?

Oh no, I have no problem with you having poor taste. You don't need a little badge for your sleeve.

Obviously you have poor taste if you are upset with me generally calling out people with the palate of a child. :)

Nice assumption that I have poor taste because I don't eat every food on the planet and that I'm upset with you. All I want is an official-looking document that will allow me to order grilled cheese sammiches off the kids' menu.

I do it from time to time when I want a little snack to go with my beer. I doubt Denny's or something like that would do it, but that just means don't frequent places like that.

I'll see your sannakji (I had that in mexico.) and kale, and raise you fiddleheads and huitlacoche. I'll be honest, all I really hope out of people is the sense of adventure to try something new, and the maturity to maintain decorum. I watched a woman have a fit over not liking the texture of okra once. She took a bite of fried okra, stood up, ran around while making loud gagging noises, and waving her hands around in the air.

I went over to her extremely embarassed husband, and said... "You guys have kids, surely she's had that texture in her mouth before?" He spit his drink out he was laughing so hard.

Why wouldn't Denny's do it? I order off of the kid's menu or the senior's menu at IHOP all the time (I'm neither). Never had the wait staff so much as look at me funny.

They DO look at me funny when I order the simple and fit 2 pancakes, 2 eggs breakfast ... and substitute the 'healthy' harvest grain and nut pancakes for chocolate chocolate chip pancakes. :wink:

I don't go to places like that, but I could see some regional manager being an a-hat about that.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Take a multivitamin.

In way late on this, but please don't think that taking a multivitamin is equivalent to eating fruits and vegetables (not that you think that, but a lot of people do). A multivitamin is usually only necessary if you get fewer than 1600 calories in a day and/or exclude food groups. The vitamins and minerals in whole foods are more readily absorbed by the body, often occur in combinations that enhance absorption, and by eating a varied diet containing plenty of fruits and vegetables you get nutrients that vitamins just can't contain, like cancer fighting phenols. People who don't eat fruits and vegetables get cancer more frequently.

If you fit into either of the two categories above, or have been recommended a multivitamin by your doctor, buy an inexpensive generic and and take it with a meal.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this.

I know I'm being dense, but I don't get the joke. Please explain? :)
  • cakegoddess1
    cakegoddess1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Why are you concerned about this? If you only have 10 lbs. left, what difference could it possibly make? Eat what you want just less to keep the weight off for good.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I don't understand this.

I know I'm being dense, but I don't get the joke. Please explain? :)

uh, I can't on this forum.

It's along the lines of the spits and swallows joke from Austin Powers.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    LOL...ok, got it. Dude...that's not how you make babies! ;)
  • dbmata
    Options
    LOL...ok, got it. Dude...that's not how you make babies! ;)
    No, but it's legal play in practice sessions.