Skinny but Fat

Options
My6packgoal
My6packgoal Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys, I'm 5'7 and weight 153 lbs. I'm 20 years old male. I look skinny but my tummy is rather flappy :\ . I'm doing exercise (push-ups, pull-ups, ab roller) and eating in my calorie deficit but still gaining weight. Is this weight gain because of new muscle mass and how do I get rid of belly fat? Thank you so much.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and start different strength training. You're a good weight for your height; try to tone up further and see how that goes. Also, make sure you are eating enough to support these workouts, and that you are hitting your protein goal.

You cannot spot reduce fat, so there is nothing that you can do to specifically get rid of belly fat. It will come off when/where it wants to. Can never go wrong with lifting and incorporating more strength training into your routine.
  • beechd94
    beechd94 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You're what they consider skinny-fat. I have virtually no fat on my legs/arms but my mid section is flabby. I'm starting to slowly get out of this area. I'm 5'10" 167 pounds. I'm eating ~1700 calories with very little body weight training. You will gain a little weight due to muscle mass being gained but you should be losing weight overall if you are truly eating at a caloric deficit. You can't just lose belly fat, there's no such thing as spot fat loss; you must reduce your entire body's fat. Only tip I have is make sure you're counting your calories correctly and weighing your food. This is going to be your biggest thing. You should be eating 1500-1700 calories a day unless you're doing some crazy cardio. Best of luck and don't give up, it's all a game of numbers.
  • My6packgoal
    My6packgoal Posts: 4
    edited January 2015
    Options
    beechd94 wrote: »
    You're what they consider skinny-fat. I have virtually no fat on my legs/arms but my mid section is flabby. I'm starting to slowly get out of this area. I'm 5'10" 167 pounds. I'm eating ~1700 calories with very little body weight training. You will gain a little weight due to muscle mass being gained but you should be losing weight overall if you are truly eating at a caloric deficit. You can't just lose belly fat, there's no such thing as spot fat loss; you must reduce your entire body's fat. Only tip I have is make sure you're counting your calories correctly and weighing your food. This is going to be your biggest thing. You should be eating 1500-1700 calories a day unless you're doing some crazy cardio. Best of luck and don't give up, it's all a game of numbers.

I'm like the same as you in that the only fat I have is in my belly. It's frustrating because I thought belly fat was suppose to be the first to go. I'm going to start my cardio again in a month or so when I get back to my running class. I'm am sure that I am eating at a calorie deficit. My calorie limit I want to stay in is around 1830 a day
  • missiontofitness
    Options

I'm like the same as you in that the only fat I have is in my belly. It's frustrating because I thought belly fat was suppose to be the first to go. I'm going to start my cardio again in a month or so when I get back to my running class. I'm am sure that I am eating at a calorie deficit. My calorie limit I want to stay in is around 1830 a day

You won't build muscle in a calorie deficit, as an FYI.
  • My6packgoal
    Options

really? I'm not sure if that is true or not. I do hit my protein recommendation.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

For almost all males it's the reverse. Belly fat is a F.I.L.O queue - First In, Last Out.

If you are eating at a deficit, fat will go ... but stubborn belly and "love handle" lard will be the last to go for most of us.

• missiontofitness
    Options

really? I'm not sure if that is true or not. I do hit my protein recommendation.

Calorie deficit = less calories to repair your muscles after a workout.
    You are already a relatively healthy weight, so you aren't going to have much fat to burn off from a deficit.
    Muscles like food and fuel and protein while they rebuild and get stronger. As one site I've read before says: "you can't build anything without the supplies."

Surpluses help you bulk/build muscle.
  • My6packgoal
    Options

You are already a relatively healthy weight, so you aren't going to have much fat to burn off from a deficit.
    Muscles like food and fuel and protein while they rebuild and get stronger. As one site I've read before says: "you can't build anything without the supplies."

I want to reduce my belly fat first then bulk up by eating at a surplus. I do this because I don't want to increase my belly fat even more and not being able to take it off in the future.
  • Lambrah
    Lambrah Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I want to reduce my belly fat first then bulk up by eating at a surplus. I do this because I don't want to increase my belly fat even more and not being able to take it off in the future.

if you want to go for the 6 pack, then go ahead and cut first then SLOWLY bulk. it might be easier to build the muscle at higher BF% but i recommend doing what with your happy with. if a six pack all year round will make you happy then do that first.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Echoing the comment above this; surplus slowly so you can find the sweet spot that fuels your lifting while minimizing fat gain.

By all means you can continue cutting, but your gains are going to be small or near nothing if you try to build muscle while in a deficit or close to maintaining. Definitely agree with doing what makes you happy; if you'd rather cut then do the surplus (what I've done), you can do that.

I still have a bit more fat to lose in my thighs/legs, but I am going to be transitioning to weight lifting soon because I know that will assist me in toning up overall and minimizing the "skinny fat" problem. My leg/thigh fat has held on tight this entire journey, so I'm in a similar boat as you. If you have a small amount of belly fat, it may not be harmful to slowly up your intake more and give lifting a try for a month or two, and see if it makes progress.
  • jsalzat
    jsalzat Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    The Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise offers some suggestions that might interest you. The basic principle is to cut sugar intake to 15 grams per day and limit carb intake to six 5-20 gram servings of whole grains. I know a handful of people who have struggled with the same dilemma and got rid of their belly fat using his approach.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    jsalzat wrote: »
    The Belly Fat Cure by Jorge Cruise offers some suggestions that might interest you. The basic principle is to cut sugar intake to 15 grams per day and limit carb intake to six 5-20 gram servings of whole grains. I know a handful of people who have struggled with the same dilemma and got rid of their belly fat using his approach.

Is it possible that they had a calorie deficit and reduced their overall body fat?
    Diet and exercise cannot target specific areas of fat.

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

153 is light for a man. I suggest he eats at a surplus and LIFTS LIFTS LIFTS. A man in his 20's can make gains like crazy.