Muscles and weight loss

I have looked around and seem to be no closer to an answer.

So I'm losing weight, and 1kg a week on average, now is it actually possible to gain muscles while losing weight? If not is it possible to maintain muscles?

Now I'm no expert so please correct me if I'm wrong here but protein is important to muscles repair and growth among a dozen other things right?

So if I go off my google searches the recommended daily intake for some one my weight is 100g of protein at .85 per kg.

So if I'm normally only eating 40-60g of protein am I basically guaranteed to lose muscle and fat?

If what I said above is correct how can I get more protein while still being at or under the calories needed for weight loss? Everything I see is such small amounts of protein with large amounts of energy. Like getting to the point where I could only eat very high protein foods.

Does anyone have any recommendations for breakfast lunch dinner foods that can help get my protein up.

Maybe I'm overreacting, my brother made fun of me cause I was struggling with doing 135kg leg press saying I am protein deficient.

It's just I do kick boxxing and in 6 months I would prefer not to be a skinny and weak guy while my brother is doing hand stand box jumps and or able to lift me and throw me away

Thanks
This was annoying to type on my phone

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »

Thanks
    This was annoying to type on my phone

I'm surprised your battery didn't die. B)

Try to up your protein. Not necessarily 100g, but higher. I don't know what foods you like or what's available in your country, but Google "protein rich foods" for ideas. If you need more help with diet, make your food log visible (click "settings" at the top, then "diary").

Also do full-body strength training to maintain muscle. It seems like you might already be doing that.

• littleknownblogger
    littleknownblogger Posts: 67 Member
    1. Meat and eggs will always be your best protein sources.
    2. No, you cannot gain muscle while losing WEIGHT. Your body is too catabolic. However, you can gain muscle while losing FAT. Just focus on gaining muscle.
    3. Make sure you are getting plenty of healthy fats, to keep your body ketogenic.
    4. Here is the protein calculator you should be using: http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    1. Meat and eggs will always be your best protein sources.
    2. No, you cannot gain muscle while losing WEIGHT. Your body is too catabolic. However, you can gain muscle while losing FAT. Just focus on gaining muscle.
    3. Make sure you are getting plenty of healthy fats, to keep your body ketogenic.
    4. Here is the protein calculator you should be using: http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp

Do you have any tips to gain muscle while losing fat? Do I eat more protein and less fat? Thanks.
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    I am on 2000 calorie cutting diet losing weight. It's not impossible to gain muscle while lose fat, but it's going to be extremely hard especially when you are trying to lose a lot of weight fast. I am losing weight at about 1 kg per week as well, at about 200 lbs, I am eating an average of 200 grams of protein per day, on 2000 calories, that's quite a lot. I do weight training 3 to 5 times per week and cardio 2 to 3 times per week. I am also taking creatine and glutamine and multivitamins. I feel like I am at least maintaining my lean body mass if not gaining, but based on my bodyfat % change and my weight loss, I am still losing some lean body mass.

Unless you don't mind the ultra long process of body mass recomposition, just try to lose as fast as you can safely, and try to maintain as much lean body mass as possible, and once you get to your goal body fat%, bulk a little if you need to gain muscle.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    when you lose weight you're losing about 1/3 muscle - to reduce amount of loss lift heavy whilst at defecit, eat protein to 0.8 - 1g per LBM, reduce rate of loss - the slower the better

if you're new to lifting you may get some minor newby gains but in general you can't cut and build muscle at the same time

Good protein sources
    Low fat greek yogurt
    Meat, eggs
    some use protein powders