help! isnt 2950 calories. a day alot.

Options

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person's age, size, and requirements. If you have 120 pounds to lose and are 25 years old, it is likely you can lose weight at 2950 a day. It will adjust as you lose.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    That seems like a lot. Could you post a screen shot? Do you have all your data entered in correctly?

What is your height and current weight?
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For a 25 years old female, that does sound a bit high. Make sure you enter your body weight, level of activity and weight loss goal correctly and see if that fixes it.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 yr old, 5'6", 148 lb. My TDEE is 2350. So if you are younger, taller and/or weight a lot more, then no, that number might not be too high. I have a younger, very active, slightly taller and slightly heavier friend who eats 2800 calories on a deficit.

To really figure it out, go to the Scooby Workshop & calculate your TDEE. Enter a 15-20% deficit and that's what you should eat just to make sure. Include all activity, not just working out.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    What's your height, and current weight? And daily/weekly activity level. Also, what are your goals? Just weight loss, toning, strength, etc?
  • judy899011
    judy899011 Posts: 5
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I started last tuesday i weight in at 386 and this tuesday i was at 381.2 and im about 5'3 iv been walking 1 -2 miles a day and my job keeps me active as well but since i started i can never reach 2950 calories and i enter everything i eat and drink....
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It seems about right, honestly. How close have you been getting?

Would you be comfortable opening your diary so we can take a look? We can give you some more specific advice if we can see what you've been eating for the past week.
  • judy899011
    Options
    Yes i can i only have three entrys so far just sec let me openit
  • judy899011
    Options
    Ok can you see it?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Congrats on your loss so far! I would recommend that you skip "home made" entries unless they are recipes you wrote yourself, however--260 calories for a turkey sandwich is great if you use the same bread/mayo/meat/cheese/other condiments in the same amounts as the one in the system, but can vary wildly. At some point, you should invest in a food scale (they can be had for less than $15), but you should be able to lose in the beginning without one, given a large enough deficit.

You can lose on 2950 a day, given how active you are. You should not go too far below MFP's 2 lb/week calorie recommendation.

Good luck on the rest of the weight! You got this.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It's possible that you would be able to lose weight eating that much. I'm 5'4.5" and currently I would maintain on around 2600 (157/156lbs current fluctuations). Looking at your past 2 days, your total calorie consumption is about what I eat to lose weight currently.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    First of all, good, I was worried that you were at like 1200 or something! 1600-1700 is pretty low for you, but I wouldn't stress out about it quite yet. Give it a week or two, get into the habit of logging and learn all the tips and tricks about MFP's database.

For the Subway sandwiches, I would check on their website and see what that calorie count includes. I know sometimes cheese and condiments aren't included, although I'm not sure what is and isn't included for each sandwich. Also, watch out for Generic and Homemade entries, because they're almost always wrong.

Since you do have a relatively high calorie goal, I wouldn't worry about hitting it exactly every day, but you do want to be in the ballpark. Maybe call anything between 2500 and 2900 a success?

First, your body needs calories to run. You need a base number of calories just to breathe and think, etc., and you are really active.

Plus, you're going to be losing weight for awhile, and as you lose, you'll need to lower your goal. If you take it down to the floor now, what are you going to do when you hit your first plateau? Nobody can live on grass and air!

• judy899011
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • veaderful
    veaderful Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mines 2240...I'm 30 years old and weigh 266