Sugar Free

Options

Replies

• robingarduno
    Options
    I have tried to cut out sugar. I can easily give up pies, cakes, candy, etc. My problem is soda. I used to drink quite a bit. Regular or diet. I want to give it all up. I still crave some. Everyone says drink water. I do, I drink a lot of water. I do tend to lose more when I give up or cut down on sugar and carbs.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot more sugar when I ate more processed food. Now I eat very little processed food. The result is I don't get nearly as much sugar. I just looked at my food for the last 5 days and my sugar was 19,20,24,20,37 which is very low and pretty typical for me. I am not trying to cut it out but a healthy lifestyle and food habits will do that for you naturally.
  • emcdermott85
    emcdermott85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes i've been off sugar for a few weeks now. Great to find others that are on the same journey as me. :)
  • 03julie
    03julie Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I give up sugar foods for 3 days if i start struggling to stick to calories. Stabilizing blood sugar makes dieting easier. I gave up sugar for 3 wks a while back and defo lost weight quicker but hard to give up for good
  • JZygmunt72
    JZygmunt72 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I recently watched a documentary on sugar. 4g= 1 teaspoon. do the math. we eat so much sugar in one day.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    GoAnaGo1 wrote: »
    I am so happy to find others who are passionate about losing weight and being healthy! I am new to the site but have lost 9 LBS and 6.5 on this site. I have 10 more to go and I know being 90% SUGAR FREE made a huge difference. Has anyone else stopped eating ( most sugar)

I'm really curious as to what a 90% sugar-free diet comprises of. No milk, honey, fruits, vegetables, grains, tubers, etc?
  • lynnejstanley
    Options
    I significantly reduced the amount of added sugar I eat, about 14 years ago now. Best thing I ever did for myself. And yes, I think it made losing weight easier and it has made it easy to maintain for the last 13 and a half years. Good luck to you.

• lynnejstanley
    Options
    I keep going over my sugar limit, but this mainly is due to eating fruit, such as bananas or peaches. Am a bit confused if I should cut these things out.
  • wesley58
    wesley58 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have tried to cut out sugar in my diet as much as possible, I know it is hard. I don't eat any fruits, very little carbs. I have lost 40 lbs
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've reduced mine since last September and the weight has come off quicker. Slightly smaller calorie deficit to the year before but 2x the loss rate. I make sure most of my sugar allowance comes from fresh fruit and dairy in the mornings.
  • Sarahland
    Sarahland Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My family and I stopped eating white (processed) sugar about a year ago and haven't looked back since. We love natural sugars like fruit, raw honey, and pure maple syrup but we let the processed stuff go completely. We made the change for health reasons other than weight loss, but losing over 190 pounds (between my husband and I) has been a wonderful side effect. I don't try to "deamonize" sugars as some people have put it. We just choose to not put it in our bodies; and the same with a long list of other chemical filled food-like products. I would love to have some friends on here that eat like we do, so feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • BeccaFitPro
    BeccaFitPro Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat (and highly recommend) zero added sugar. By eliminating processed foods, this is very simple. Sugar is one of the leading causes of inflammation in the body, which then causes a myriad of other issues, including exacerbating symptoms of arthritis and autoimmune diseases. I'm not talking about the natural sugars that occur in carbohydrates. Even with cutting sugar, I still get 40-50g of sugar per day. Your body and brain need the carbs and even some sugar- we just do not need the added, refined and processed sugar that is in packaged foods.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I eat (and highly recommend) zero added sugar. By eliminating processed foods, this is very simple. Sugar is one of the leading causes of inflammation in the body, which then causes a myriad of other issues, including exacerbating symptoms of arthritis and autoimmune diseases. I'm not talking about the natural sugars that occur in carbohydrates. Even with cutting sugar, I still get 40-50g of sugar per day. Your body and brain need the carbs and even some sugar- we just do not need the added, refined and processed sugar that is in packaged foods.

i recommend ignoring this 100%...
  • Sarahland
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Then take your own advice and please stop bullying people.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    GoAnaGo1 wrote: »
    I am so happy to find others who are passionate about losing weight and being healthy! I am new to the site but have lost 9 LBS and 6.5 on this site. I have 10 more to go and I know being 90% SUGAR FREE made a huge difference. Has anyone else stopped eating ( most sugar)

I've certainly cut back on sugar and have found it a useful tool to eating in a calorie deficit, without having to cut back on the foods I enjoy or having to calorie count.

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Sarahland wrote: »

No, he's right. She's giving awful advice. The last thing anyone should want is people taking her broscience as fact. Your body cannot tell the difference between added sugar and fruit sugar, for one, and all that stuff about 'inflammation in the body'? Nonsense. I suffer from several autoimmune diseases, sugar has absolutely zero affect on them. If anything I'm eating more sugar than I did when I was obese (as I now drink more tea and take 5-6 teaspoons of sugar per cup) and my immune disorders have stayed totally fine.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited January 2015
    Options

No, he's right. She's giving awful advice. The last thing anyone should want is people taking her broscience as fact. Your body cannot tell the difference between added sugar and fruit sugar, for one, and all that stuff about 'inflammation in the body'? Nonsense. I suffer from several autoimmune diseases, sugar has absolutely zero affect on them. If anything I'm eating more sugar than I did when I was obese (as I now drink more tea and take 5-6 teaspoons of sugar per cup) and my immune disorders have stayed totally fine.

Then how do you explain fructose and sucrose intolerance?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Alright then. Bar any individual medical intolerances that most people do not have, your body cannot tell the difference between added sugar and fruit sugar.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Alright then. Bar any individual medical intolerances that most people do not have, your body cannot tell the difference between added sugar and fruit sugar.

Are the symptoms of glucose intolerance and fructose intolerance the same?

Also does high dietary glucose affect the livers fatty acids in the same way high dietary fructose 'can'?
  • Sarahland
    Options

My issue isn't with who is right or wrong. Put whatever you want in your body, because it won't effect me the least bit. But bullying people for what they DON'T put in their bodies is asinine. Just be nice to people.