Recommendation

Options
would anyones recommend bulk vs cutting first for a teenager??im wanting to lose some bf fat and gain some muscle. I'm currently 18 5'10 at around 150. BF don't know( guessing around 10-12%)
And my current caloric intake is 1900-2100 Thanks

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Lose fat first then bulk usually. Do you have a current pic? And what kind of routine do you follow?
  • ltangodownl
    ltangodownl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Lose fat first then bulk usually. Do you have a current pic? And what kind of routine do you follow?
    g2h497b6dch2.jpg
    I certainly eat and track my calories intake that's all. Mostly clean foods
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You have fairly good definition but still room to cut if you are aiming for abs.. you could even recomp. What is your main goal?
  • ltangodownl
    Options
    You have fairly good definition but still room to cut if you are aiming for abs.. you could even recomp. What is your main goal?
    Goal right now is to lose fat. Would you recommend low carbs? Or cut calorie intake?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Goal right now is to lose fat. Would you recommend low carbs? Or cut calorie intake?

Low carb isnt necessary but if you prefer that lifestyle you can use it. Generally, i follow iifym and aim to get most my foods from whole sources.

What's your full work out routine? Also, do you have a food scale and are you currently losing weight?

• ltangodownl
    Options

Low carb isnt necessary but if you prefer that lifestyle you can use it. Generally, i follow iifym and aim to get most my foods from whole sources.

What's your full work out routine? Also, do you have a food scale and are you currently losing weight?
    Do have food scale. I workout 3 day a week cardio 5 day-20mins each session(rope jumping)
    Haven't weight myself since last Saturday. But it's have been up and down around 148
  • angielisa75
    angielisa75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Continue to eat clean. As for for working out the Insanity workout dvd program is perfect for burning fat and building muscle.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Do you have a lifting program?
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Continue to eat clean. As for for working out the Insanity workout dvd program is perfect for burning fat and building muscle.

Actually it's not, regardless of how it's marketed. Insanity if HIIT training, which is very beneficial for burning a lot of calories and preserving muscle, but it doesn't put progressive overload on your muscles, so it would be impossible to gain any new muscle mass. Even if the OP had a progressive overload weight training program, he is lean, which is going to make it nearly impossible to gain new muscle without a surplus of calories. And if any BB program had a chance to provide those types of results, it would be Body Beast.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything the lemon has said. Good advice, no need to repeat it all.