I ate 600 calories today and I was full. Help.

Options

Replies

• aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I still live at home with my parents while I'm finishing my uni degree, I have to work with whats in the fridge/freezer.

Disagree. You are fully capable of shopping for yourself, or going shopping and combining your list with your parents. It's part of being an adult, and stands regardless of living with your folks. The times I lived with my parents after being 18 I always did this. Mom would frequently give me money for groceries, yes, but I wasn't relying on her to stock the pantry. It was one of the things I did to contribute to the house - that and cook dinner a couple times a week, but that's largely because I'm a better cook.
  • lilxmissxhavic
    lilxmissxhavic Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It isn't my intention to be mean here, but what I am gonna say will come across as such.

You don't need a better eating plan, you need a therapist to help you find out why you are purposefully not eating the right amount and types of food. It sounds like you have food issues in general.

Thats a pretty big generalisation to make from one post. Can I please reiterate I AM NOT STARVING MYSELF, I had a reasonable breakfast lunch and dinner and was full, then I was concerned because I wasn't doing it safely so A) went out of my way to get more calories and B) asked for advice.

I'm still eating out, I'm still eating whatever my family happens to be eating for dinner, and I'm still having snacks.
    So add another slice of cheese + butter to your sandwiches? There's another 140 cals right there.
    Boom! Great idea! thanks!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    And still my question goes unanswered. Your profile says you have 44 pounds to lose? My point being how did you come to need to lose 44 pounds if you were unable to eat enough?
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    When you eat a very small amount for an extended period of time, your body adjusts to this amount of food, and ceases to send hunger signals.

Some of us overweight people got this way because we ate so terribly unevenly or did not respond to our initial natural hunger cues that our bodies become resistant to the hunger response. That is, we rarely, if ever, feel hungry.

Me, I hate feeling hungry and rarely experience the sensation. If I only ate when I felt hungry, I would eat only every couple days.

Part of building a healthy lifestyle is retraining one's body to normal levels. Whether that be reducing what you eat, or increasing it, it's important to know a good way to increase and prepare.

I'm not making a diagnosis, but 600 calories is less than the intake of an average anorexic person, and based on that alone, and even moreso when adding activity, you'd be diagnosed as such. Perhaps not psychologically, but physically... Many people don't realize that there is more than one kind of anorexia (anorexia as a term means without appetite).

Refeeding can be difficult, but you can do it. If you know you need to eat more, you should regularly and with metered effort increase your diet 100-200 calories every 1-2 days. Don't just jump all at once, as you may feel very sick because of it. Increase daily until you are at a normalized dietary level. Recognize that if you exercise, you need to increase the amount at least modestly in order to not have a similar problem happen.

Ultimately, what can happen if you maintain these habits over a long span of time, is that your body can go into preservation mode, and eventually become problematic for things like your thyroid. It doesn't happen in a couple weeks though... and without knowing how long the 600/day habit has been going on, it's hard to say if you're at risk of such an issue.

For me, I found the easiest way to increase my food was to eat a very small snack every hour. I know, sounds insane, but it's easy to do with a stash of almonds. Eating 10-15 almonds at the top of each waking hour will easily bulk your calories without making you feel like you're going to explode, or leave much remnants in your mouth. Once you get to a normalized calorie level, you can adjust the calorie intake options to other foods and habits, but it gets you there. :)
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm on my phone so I'd missed the sandwich breakdown. And you'd actually commented 'I suppose I could have had another sandwich to make it up to 700cals'. Hence I would assume you meant you made a 100 cal sandwich. Anyways regardless! You've had some good advice on here from folks.
  • AdorkableMe2015
    AdorkableMe2015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It isn't my intention to be mean here, but what I am gonna say will come across as such.

You don't need a better eating plan, you need a therapist to help you find out why you are purposefully not eating the right amount and types of food. It sounds like you have food issues in general.

Thats a pretty big generalisation to make from one post. Can I please reiterate I AM NOT STARVING MYSELF, I had a reasonable breakfast lunch and dinner and was full, then I was concerned because I wasn't doing it safely so A) went out of my way to get more calories and B) asked for advice.

I'm still eating out, I'm still eating whatever my family happens to be eating for dinner, and I'm still having snacks.
    So add another slice of cheese + butter to your sandwiches? There's another 140 cals right there.
    Boom! Great idea! thanks!

I said I wasn't trying to be mean but your reaction clearly says you are defensive about hearing the POSSIBILITY of an eating disorder. No, you aren't eating enough. I can find a million different ways to get my calorie count to 1200, without even trying, and by eating strictly "healthy" food. To say you "can't do it" is a way to justify your lack of desire TO do it. If you are going to up your calorie intake, that's fantastic. But you asked for people to comment, and my comment was intended to provide a possible insight into why you are only able to consume 600 calories. For me, that's somewhere between breakfast and lunch.
  • lilxmissxhavic
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    OP, you need to go get to professional help to address your eating disorder.
    Because I underate one day? and then was immediatley concerned and looked for help? umm no, thats not what disorders look like.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    And still my question goes unanswered. Your profile says you have 44 pounds to lose? My point being how did you come to need to lose 44 pounds if you were unable to eat enough?

Because I ate crap and never exercised. I'm now exercising and trying to not eat junk food. I'm looking for ways to do this healthier than eating a cookie/chocolate/coke every night to make up the total.

Quasita, that was a really well thought out post, thankyou very much :)
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Just have a bigger bowl of cereal for breakfast, or better yet, have eggs and ham or something. Have some nuts for a snack, or an apple and peanut butter, or a banana. Add some chicken to your dinner.

Can't you ask your parents to buy food you like if it's them who do the shopping. I lived away when I was at university, but when I go home to visit my parents now (and I'm 37) my mum always asks me to e-mail her a shopping list so she can buy food we like to eat.

I think it's fine to have a low calorie day occasionally if you just don't feel like eating for whatever reason, just don't make a habit of it.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to look into planning your days a bit more. Do you usually plan ahead or do you 'wing' it, choosing meals spontaneously? From what you told us it seems like you're deliberately holding back on calories during breakfast and lunch and then end up with way too much left over for dinner. Try to plan ahead and add more cals to your meals, so you have less over at the end of the day. If you can't eat more in terms of mass, see if you can use other ingredients, i.e. wholemilk dairy, etc.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    2 slices of a decent sized multigrain bread are 300 calories (your bread must be tiny and thin cut to be half of that)

butter - add 50 - and you can add mayo / mustard too

easy to add 100 for ham and 200 for cheese

add salad and avocado

and that's a sandwich for about your daily amount of calories

you appear to be on the I must deprive myself form of weight loss - you will crash and burn and you will be whimpering to yourself that you can't stick to diets

you've recognised the problem - good job

now do something about it

it's not difficult - you know what calorie dense foods are - you can get a lot of calories for a small amount of butter / peanut butter / cheese alongside a regular soda

• Victoriamrs
    Victoriamrs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Based on my desired weight loss my calorie intake is approx 1300/1400 per day. I break my calories down 400 to 500 per meal for 3 meals a day or if I want smaller meals then 300 calories allowing me five meals. On top of that I exercise or at least walk every day. I have found when I do not exercise and am sitting around for most of the day my appetite is low, I have put this down to the fact that my body does not need as much energy so doesn't need food for fuel. Therefore for me exercise is an important part of getting fit and healthy not just physically but also mentally.

From what you have said you are eating it seems you are not getting enough nutrients. I am also wondering how if you are eating a ham and cheese sandwich that your calories are under 600 as two slices of multigrain bread are 170 calories on their own and if I had a slice of cheese that can be anything from 85 to 110 calories add ham if you butter your bread or add mayonnaise bringing it up to 350 to 450? Do you drink anything with your meal? I agree with others consider adding lettuce, tomato, onions, peppers etc to your sandwich. Also in my humble opinion I don't think that cheerios is a healthy breakfast however I know sometimes due to time constraints cereal might be better than nothing. I tend to go for Cornflakes but add some nuts to bulk it up.

Anyway these are some of the meals I eat on a day to day basis. I try to make sure I get a balanced diet of protein vitamins fat and carbs obviously more protein and vitamins than fat but its important to remember not all fat is bad and our bodies need it.

Beans on toast, a banana on toast or scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast. If I am in a hurry a fruit smoothie.

Lunches might be 50g of wholewheat pasta with prawns or chicken and veggies, or two small potatoes small piece of meat chicken or turkey breast and veg, veggie stir fry which you can add chicken or prawns or other fish for your protein, jacket potatoes filled with lots of salad.

Dinner might be soup, omelette which can be versatile add mushrooms, onions, peppers or cheese or a fruit salad with natural yogurt.

I remember once hearing this advice re eating, eat like a king for breakfast, like a queen for lunch and like a pauper for dinner that is eat your heavier and bigger meals in the day leaving the lightest meal till the evening. For me this works but we are all individuals so you have to find what works for you. Hope this has somewhat helped.

Feel free to add me and good luck in achieving your goals.
  • lilxmissxhavic
    Options

I said I wasn't trying to be mean but your reaction clearly says you are defensive about hearing the POSSIBILITY of an eating disorder. No, you aren't eating enough. I can find a million different ways to get my calorie count to 1200, without even trying, and by eating strictly "healthy" food. To say you "can't do it" is a way to justify your lack of desire TO do it. If you are going to up your calorie intake, that's fantastic. But you asked for people to comment, and my comment was intended to provide a possible insight into why you are only able to consume 600 calories. For me, that's somewhere between breakfast and lunch.

A: Never said "I can't"
    B: I'm studying psychology and people generalising and overdiagnosing mental disorders is a genuine concern of mine. I gave you two reasons why I wouldn't consider this leading to a disorder. I don't feel I was being overly defensive.
    C: If you read my other comments you'll see I'm responding positivley to most of them.
    D: Between breakfast and lunch is probably a good time to try and fit in a snack.
    E: Just because you say you're trying to not be mean/rude doesn't mean you're not.
    F: Congrats on your getting to 1200 calories easily, I hope I'm going to get there, this is why I'm asking for help.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I doubt the accuracy of your counting. Could you open your diary?
  • bigandstripy
    bigandstripy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok to say "have a bigger bowl of cereal" etc but ultimately, that might mean a smaller sandwich later if the appetite isn't there. I know it's not ideal to have so few calories per day, but if it's a one off day where you've perhaps not done very much, not burned any real energy and not worked up an appetite then surely it's OK?
  • AdorkableMe2015
    Options
    Plain Greek yogurt with honey, pecans and blueberries makes a wonderful breakfast meal and is chock full of protein and calcium. Coconut milk is lower in fat than cow's milk (which I don't drink anyways) but higher in nutrients. And, I am of the belief that eggs are GOOD for you, so I will have a couple fried eggs on occasion. I lost a lot of weight eliminating gluten from my diet, as I discovered I had a gluten intolerance. I cut out wheat and grain and dropped 20 lbs in three months. Long story about that.
  • Revcminor
    Options
    Eat some apples, some almonds (good protein, good fat, high calories), some yogurt....so many healthy choices. I have no trouble getting up to 1200.
  • AdorkableMe2015
    Options

A: Never said "I can't"
    B: I'm studying psychology and people generalising and overdiagnosing mental disorders is a genuine concern of mine. I gave you two reasons why I wouldn't consider this leading to a disorder. I don't feel I was being overly defensive.
    C: If you read my other comments you'll see I'm responding positivley to most of them.
    D: Between breakfast and lunch is probably a good time to try and fit in a snack.
    E: Just because you say you're trying to not be mean/rude doesn't mean you're not.
    F: Congrats on your getting to 1200 calories easily, I hope I'm going to get there, this is why I'm asking for help.

Oh, I totally agree I am in no position to judge or diagnose. It was just a thought I had :) But, I'm a mom and I worry about women your age when they start to obsess over calories. I have an 18 year old daughter who dropped a lot of weight in a short period of time because she wasn't eating enough. I recognized the signs and potential to go into an eating disorder and she pulled out of it right away.

I don't want to hear stories of women feeling they need to starve themselves for...whatever. It's an unhealthy approach to existing. We're all beautiful the way we are.