No weight loss after starting running

Options
Hi,

I lost 4lb in the first 3 weeks of eating 1250cals per day. Great. I am 29, weigh 145lbs.

I then started running & its been about 3 weeks now. I do between 3/4 miles 4x per week. Burning between 350/450 cals per run.

Ive just weighed and over the last 3 weeks, i have gained one lb. i can tell though that i have lost inches so definately lost fat.

Have i gained because of the running, and gained muscle weight? Or am i eating too little? I eat around 300 cals more on the days i run so instead of the 1250, i will eat around 1500/1600. Is this the right thing to do?

Any help would be great. At what point will the scales go down as i do feel slimmer...?

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Go plug your numbers in here to figure out your BMR.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Do not add in your exercise numbers, calculate as if you did no exercise. Once you get these numbers, add in your exercise calories since you started running and compare to what you have been eating to see if you are eating properly. You might be eating too low, but this will tell you for sure.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you have noticed you have lost inches, what's the problem? What does it matter what the scale says?
    3 weeks is not a sufficient time to notice significant loss, it could simply be a factor of when you weigh yourself, water retention, un calibrated scale, or other factors.
  • FRJM
    FRJM Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was told by a personal trainer that our bodies are very good at adapting to running and will work as efficiently as possible - meaning running is not the greatest thing for weight loss - great for fitness though. I have been told to add some lifting in to my routine to shift the extra weight. Not started yet so can't comment if works but I have been running for a long time and not lost any weight at all - in fact have put weight on before now. Hope that helps :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    At the start of any new exercise routine its normal to retain extra water as the muscles repair themselves. The point is you feel slimmer, that's a NSV (a non scale victory), keep up the great work, the pounds will start coming off soon :)
    It takes our bodies a few weeks to adjust to change in routine.
    Weight fluctuates daily/hourly even, if you have only weighed in once in 3 weeks how do you know that tomorrow the scale wont drop that 1lb? I fluctuate by up to 3lbs depending on what I've eaten/toilet issues/exercise etc.
    I also am a runner and at maintenance. My weight hardly changes these days but I am so lean, fit and strong...keep on running! :)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No, you haven't gained muscle, at least not any appreciable amount of it.

Chances are your body is holding onto extra water due to the increased exercise. Give it time and things will balance back out... no need to worry about water weight over the long haul.
  • jodes112
    jodes112 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ok, thank you.

I guess i should just continue and see how i go.

Default.. I just wanted to make sure that i am doing this right... Of course i want to see the scales move, who doesnt?!

Am i right then to eat the calories i burn on my running days. I do find this hard as i run at 7pm (when the kids are in bed) so i have to make sure that i plan the run so i can eat more during that day. I dont fancy eating after the run, just cos i need to make up the calories if that makes sense.

Grimmeanor.. That calculator is useful. It did say i should be eating slightly more. I just want to make sure i dont get stuck eating too little cals and not lose weight because of it!

Thanks all!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    If you're using MFP to calculate your calorie needs, then in most cases you should be eating back your burned calories (or at least a significant portion of them). If you are using some other method/calculator, then it will depend on how your calorie goal was estimated and whether or not exercise was factored into the estimate.
  • jodes112
    Options
    Yes, im using MFP, although not religiously. But yes i sort of know what ive eaton and what ive burned and what i would need to eat to make up for the burned cals.

Thank you!
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    FRJM wrote: »
    I was told by a personal trainer that our bodies are very good at adapting to running and will work as efficiently as possible - meaning running is not the greatest thing for weight loss - great for fitness though. I have been told to add some lifting in to my routine to shift the extra weight. Not started yet so can't comment if works but I have been running for a long time and not lost any weight at all - in fact have put weight on before now. Hope that helps :smile:

I lost 40 lbs by running only & I am a trainer. Yes, our bodies adapt to what we are doing. Yes, our heart rate will adapt so it is important to vary your cardio BUT we don't just adapt to running; we adapt to anything we do frequently.

You need to adjust your calories & not eat back what you burn!

Harris benedict formula works great.

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Total Calorie Needs Example
    If you are sedentary, multiply your BMR (1745) by 1.2 = 2094. This is the total number of calories you need in order to maintain your current weight.

If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low.

An alternative way of calculating a safe minimum calorie-intake level is by reference to your body weight or current body weight. Reducing calories by 15-20% below your daily calorie maintenance needs is a useful start. You may increase this depending on your weight loss goals.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    bos10fit wrote: »
    FRJM wrote: »

I lost 40 lbs by running only & I am a trainer. Yes, our bodies adapt to what we are doing. Yes, our heart rate will adapt so it is important to vary your cardio BUT we don't just adapt to running; we adapt to anything we do frequently.

You need to adjust your calories & not eat back what you burn!

Harris benedict formula works great.

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

•If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Total Calorie Needs Example
    If you are sedentary, multiply your BMR (1745) by 1.2 = 2094. This is the total number of calories you need in order to maintain your current weight.

If you want to lose fat, a useful guideline for lowering your calorie intake is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For people with only a small amount of weight to lose, 1000 calories will be too much of a deficit. As a guide to minimum calorie intake, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 calories per day for men. Even these calorie levels are quite low.

An alternative way of calculating a safe minimum calorie-intake level is by reference to your body weight or current body weight. Reducing calories by 15-20% below your daily calorie maintenance needs is a useful start. You may increase this depending on your weight loss goals.

I don't agree with that recommendation, especially as a blanket statement on MFP.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ^^

Fair enough although it did come directly from ACE.

Although decreasing by a minimum of 500 would OBVIOUSLY be for the obese.

I stick with percent values of 15%. Works will with clients.

• jacksonpt
    Options
    It's not that there isn't merit to it. The problem is that MFP is specifically designed TO have people eat back their exercise calories. So advising someone not to without the proper context can not only cause confusion, but also lead to unnecessarily large calorie deficits, which could lead to other issues.
  • bethan_tillz
    Options
    It's also what calories you eat, change white pasta rice and bread for brown for example. Eating a slice of cake to make up that 300cal you needed just doesn't work.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    It's also what calories you eat, change white pasta rice and bread for brown for example. Eating a slice of cake to make up that 300cal you needed just doesn't work.

Also disagree. Weight loss = number of calories, not type of calories. Of course I'm assuming a reasonably balanced diet with reasonable macros... not someone eating exclusively chocolate cake.
  • jodes112
    Options
    Bethan
  • jodes112
    Options
    Ffs just wrote a reply and it posted one word!!! Dammit.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think fluid retention is a good explanation. Assuming you're female it could be hormonal. It's unlikely to be a heap of muscle growth, because that takes a while and is tricky to do for lots of (particularly female) people.
    Is it possible being active is making you hungrier, and you're taking in more calories than you're expending without realising?
  • jodes112
    Options
    Bethan, i would love a slice of cake right now! But i do know that i shouldn't be binging on cake to make up my cals lol, unfortunately!

Ok i worked out the bmr it said to maintain i should eat 2255 cals per day, this factors in the excercise. to lose minus 500/1000. So really i may be better off increasing to around 1400pd rather than 1250.

Thanks jacksonpt. I was a little confused. I do eat back the cals though, right?

do i just keep at it for a few more weeks and see what happens? Or increase cals? Argh, What does everyone think? Xx
  • jodes112
    Options
    Yesinpson, defiantly not. Ive been very strict. Im running at 7pm at night so will have some fruit afterwards if anything. An orange or strawberries. Im sort of dealing well with any hunger. X
  • jacksonpt
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jodes112 wrote: »
    Bethan, i would love a slice of cake right now! But i do know that i shouldn't be binging on cake to make up my cals lol, unfortunately!

Ok i worked out the bmr it said to maintain i should eat 2255 cals per day, this factors in the excercise. to lose minus 500/1000. So really i may be better off increasing to around 1400pd rather than 1250.

Thanks jacksonpt. I was a little confused. I do eat back the cals though, right?

do i just keep at it for a few more weeks and see what happens? Or increase cals? Argh, What does everyone think? Xx

If you are using MFP, then yes... eat them back. And continue to be patient. This is a long, slow process. I can't stress that enough.

If you use another method to calculate calorie needs, then it will depend on the method. You mentioned that your BMR calculation factors in exercise. In that case, you wouldn't eat them back (and I wouldn't log exercise calories, either, just to avoid confusion/temptation).

On a side note -binging (i.e. eating silly amounts of that take you beyond your calorie goal and outside your macro needs) on cake is bad. Eating a reasonable portion because you've got calories left and feel like cake is perfectly fine.