I ate 600 calories today and I was full. Help.

Options

Replies

• lilxmissxhavic
    lilxmissxhavic Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just have a bigger bowl of cereal for breakfast, or better yet, have eggs and ham or something. Have some nuts for a snack, or an apple and peanut butter, or a banana. Add some chicken to your dinner.

Can't you ask your parents to buy food you like if it's them who do the shopping. I lived away when I was at university, but when I go home to visit my parents now (and I'm 37) my mum always asks me to e-mail her a shopping list so she can buy food we like to eat.

I think it's fine to have a low calorie day occasionally if you just don't feel like eating for whatever reason, just don't make a habit of it.

Yeah I might go back to doing more cereal and stuff, I was trying to follow the mfp/packaging serving sizes, but I might need to double or triple.
    I'll start asking my parents for fruits and things.
    hellokathy wrote: »
    It sounds like you need to look into planning your days a bit more. Do you usually plan ahead or do you 'wing' it, choosing meals spontaneously? From what you told us it seems like you're deliberately holding back on calories during breakfast and lunch and then end up with way too much left over for dinner. Try to plan ahead and add more cals to your meals, so you have less over at the end of the day. If you can't eat more in terms of mass, see if you can use other ingredients, i.e. wholemilk dairy, etc.

I don't plan my meals, I'll have to get into it. I'm not meaning to restrict calories, I'm just trying to follow the recommended serving sizes. I'll have to plan ahead.

rabbitjb-sandwich breakdown a few comments ago, I'm not trying to deprive, I'm trying to follow reccommended serving sizes, butter and spreads is a good idea.

Victoriamrs-really good information in there, thanks

MrM27-Im still 175cm's and I weighed 88.3kg's today after breakfast.

ILift- I will try to figure out how to do that :p

Bigandstripey-thanks :)

• MrsCaldwell628
    Options
    I agree with the thoughts on maybe this is a personal decision of not getting to 1200. Many young girls struggle with the deprivation diets instead of feeding their bodies. I was one of them, so I know exactly what it's like. I restricted myself to 700 calories a day. Now, I eat 1880 and I'm stronger physcially and mentally. It's a mind control game. You need to look at it as fuel, not calories. Maybe for a few days stop counting the calories and just focus on the food. Add more protein to your diet. Boneless chicken, peanut butter, even a whey protein shake. You're causing yourself serious health risks by keeping your body at such low levels of calories and macronutrients. Speaking of, have you ever thought about looking in to IIFYM (if it fits your macros)? This program gives you goals for protein, fat and carbs, which then equals an amount of calories so you focus more on your macros than on your calories. It might help you choose better food choices.

Regardless, we're all here to help. This is why we joined in the first place. We're not here to criticize and label. Some people might not understand what you're going through, but are trying to help any way. I understand that saying something isn't meant to be mean doesn't make it okay, but you also have to realize that that person was being HONEST with you. Getting defensive does not build your case and throwing around excuses and berating that person isn't going to help solve your problem. People sense the hostility and will cease to comment, and that doesn't help anyone.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I gotta call shenanigans here.

There is no way someone who eats to near obesity (30-ish BMI) gets "full" at 600 cal and "struggles" to reach 1200.

The Cognitive Dissonance is screaming.

I'm not buying it.
  • MrsCaldwell628
    Options
    It isn't my intention to be mean here, but what I am gonna say will come across as such.

You don't need a better eating plan, you need a therapist to help you find out why you are purposefully not eating the right amount and types of food. It sounds like you have food issues in general.

Thats a pretty big generalisation to make from one post. Can I please reiterate I AM NOT STARVING MYSELF, I had a reasonable breakfast lunch and dinner and was full, then I was concerned because I wasn't doing it safely so A) went out of my way to get more calories and B) asked for advice.

I'm still eating out, I'm still eating whatever my family happens to be eating for dinner, and I'm still having snacks.
    So add another slice of cheese + butter to your sandwiches? There's another 140 cals right there.
    Boom! Great idea! thanks!

A bowl of cereal, 1 sandwich and a bowl of veggies is in no way shape or form a "reasonable" list of meals for an entire day.
  • Avidcutz
    Avidcutz Posts: 29 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have the same issue! Which is why I'm going to ask: Are you sure you don't have an eating disorder?
    I know I do and that is why I have issues meeting the 1200 cal goal. Sometimes we train ourselves to not feel hungry, or alternatively we start to fail to recognize when we are, and because of how much we weight, having such an eating disorder is typically over looked. You may have to push yourself to eat more.
    And what you may THINK is "not starving" yourself, because you ate two whole meals a day, you may be psychologically talking yourself out of help. That's how mine started "I eat two big meals, that's not a problem. I am not starving" - but it was and by the time I realized there was no going back.
    You might want to review your food diary and in general think about how you eat and really consider what's going on (not just with food and weight loss, but emotionally as well. Think back, when did you start eating like this? Why to I feel like I'm not starving but my body is clearly under the amount of calories it needs for survival). I'm saying this because I wished someone had said it to me when I was younger, maybe I wouldn't be knee deep in it now.
    Lots of people will tell you "as long as it's not a habit to constantly have low calorie days" but.... the reason you posted this is because it's become a habit, hasn't it? One low calorie day doesn't warrant help, or seeking advice, but I image that a couple do.
    My inbox is open if you want to discuss this, I mean this only as a possible reason behind your under eating and as someone who has experienced this and knows intimately about the subject.

NOTE: After reading some of your responses I have to tell you. Chances are... you do. Because in no way, shape of form does studying psychology make you competent enough to make this call. I have an aunt who is a doctor and while she is competent enough to diagnose others- she herself has an eating disorder and was NOT competent in diagnosing herself. This is why Doctors and Psychologists are required to see other doctors and are legally not allowed to self-medicate. Because you can't always accept that this is your reality.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    600 calories isn't even a meal for me!
  • lilxmissxhavic
    Options
    Okay Diary is open now. I only tracked acuratley a couple times, if days are blank or only have one or two iteams ignore that I was camping and didn't have enough reception to use mfp properly.

MrsCaldwell- I'm not intentionally starving myself, I'm following the reccomended servings on mfp/the packaging. I've had a sister go through anorexia and I study psychology, I don't see how anyone could have diagnosed with so little information and I don't think I was overly defensive. But thanks for your info. good reading.

Sergeant Sausage- I don't get it either.
  • AdorkableMe2015
    AdorkableMe2015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

There is no way someone who eats to near obesity (30-ish BMI) gets "full" at 600 cal and "struggles" to reach 1200.

I'm not buying it.

I agree. So much positive can and does result when we decide to "get real" with ourselves and see ourselves for who we really are. Change won't happen until then, either.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Is your profile pic recent? You don't look like you have that much to lose...maybe instead of working on weight loss so much, focus more on toning/strength training to trim up...
    I would agree with what everyone is saying about 600 being far too few calories, but it may be a one off kind of day. I've had days when I'm sick that I don't get sufficient calories...but maybe this day wasn't a typical one for you-in which case, make up those calories over the course of the week.
    I find when I'm more physically active (a heavy running week) I tend to be hungrier. I've gotten in the habit of increasing calories with calorie and nutrient dense foods as others have stated (peanut butter/cashew butter, avocado, olive oil, greek yogurt, dark chocolate, dried fruit, whole grain bread)...or using those extra calories as a treat (we're going to Fogo de Chao this weekend for date night so I'll save up for that).

Don't beat yourself up for one day-but now you're getting lots of advice on how to make changes to avoid insufficient calorie intake in the future.
  • AdorkableMe2015
    AdorkableMe2015 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with the thoughts on maybe this is a personal decision of not getting to 1200. Many young girls struggle with the deprivation diets instead of feeding their bodies. I was one of them, so I know exactly what it's like. I restricted myself to 700 calories a day. Now, I eat 1880 and I'm stronger physcially and mentally. It's a mind control game. You need to look at it as fuel, not calories. Maybe for a few days stop counting the calories and just focus on the food. Add more protein to your diet. Boneless chicken, peanut butter, even a whey protein shake. You're causing yourself serious health risks by keeping your body at such low levels of calories and macronutrients. Speaking of, have you ever thought about looking in to IIFYM (if it fits your macros)? This program gives you goals for protein, fat and carbs, which then equals an amount of calories so you focus more on your macros than on your calories. It might help you choose better food choices.

Regardless, we're all here to help. This is why we joined in the first place. We're not here to criticize and label. Some people might not understand what you're going through, but are trying to help any way. I understand that saying something isn't meant to be mean doesn't make it okay, but you also have to realize that that person was being HONEST with you. Getting defensive does not build your case and throwing around excuses and berating that person isn't going to help solve your problem. People sense the hostility and will cease to comment, and that doesn't help anyone.

Thank you. :) That's exactly what I intended - honesty. We HAVE to be honest with ourselves and each other, when honesty calls for it. Defensive posturing is a way to ward off the truth that is right there, but unrecognizable.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I'm not buying it.

You don't know why she gained weight.

I think sometimes people get into that 'I must eat less' mentality and tell themselves they're full even when they're not, and get used to it.

I was bigger as a teenager and didn't eat a lot, and lost weight at university by not eating enough at all and I under ate for years. It took me until after my 2nd baby, at age 33, to realise I didn't need to starve myself to lose weight. I'm bigger now than I should be, but I had my 3rd baby 8 months ago, I'm not bigger because I ate too much. And I logged all pregnancy and exercised, so I didn't sit on my *kitten* and eat cake :)

People are too quick to judge.
  • lilxmissxhavic
    Options
    Okay just to not have it buried, I'm not intentionally cutting huge amounts of calories, I'm trying to eat regular meals but with the recommended serving on mfp/packaging. It looks like I might need to double/triple my serving sizes.
    Are the serving sizes known to be inaccurate?
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    P.S I agree with the poster who said you don't look like you have much to lose, if your profile pic is recent.
  • MrsCaldwell628
    Options
    Okay Diary is open now. I only tracked acuratley a couple times, if days are blank or only have one or two iteams ignore that I was camping and didn't have enough reception to use mfp properly.

MrsCaldwell- I'm not intentionally starving myself, I'm following the reccomended servings on mfp/the packaging. I've had a sister go through anorexia and I study psychology, I don't see how anyone could have diagnosed with so little information and I don't think I was overly defensive. But thanks for your info. good reading.

Sergeant Sausage- I don't get it either.

I'm almost going to guarantee that MFP would never recommend that a bowl of veggies is a "reasonable" dinner. So, you might be measuring the food that you're eating, but you're definitely not eating enough. And unless you're tricking yourself into thinking you're full because you ate three times, I don't buy that you were "full".
  • Avidcutz
    Avidcutz Posts: 29 Member
    Options

I'm not buying it.

Except it happens ALL the time. Like, have you opened a book or consulted a doctor? This is why most eating disorders in fat/obese people are not addressed, because of the myth that they can't have one.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Always doublecheck your entries to the packaging, and weigh your food. Eyeballing it just doesn't work. A good scale is $15-20 at Target or Wal-Mart. Bulk up your sandwiches with a little more meat, maybe a spread. Add an apple and peanut putter on the side. Make sure you have some protein along with your vegetables for dinner. Eat some nuts, some avocado, some Greek yogurt - eat something more dense for breakfast.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    How are you determining portion sizes? Are you eyeballing it, or using measuring cups/food scale? It seems to me that you may be underestimating your portions. If that's the case, you may not be so far under your calorie goal as you think.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Which day was the 600 calorie day? Today's 1248 consumed? Yesterday's 1199? The 1608 on the 12th?

Your fitbit is generating some large burns for short periods of time. It doesn't look right based upon what shows in your MFP diary. That coupled with the extremely inconsistent logging over the past six weeks makes any feedback purely speculative.