Not wanting to track ''bad food''

Options

Replies

• jessieandcharlotte78
    Options
    Having been down this exact road, I think you are actually craving, not addicted to, the taste of sodium/fat that is present in most fast foods. I could probably guess you aren't ordering the salads/wraps/grilled chx, etc. type of foods. You are probably going for the grease and salt.
    As far as the will power thing, your problem may be spiritual, so to speak. It's unhealthy for anyone to overindulge in any of our base needs, such as food, water, sex, sleep, need to connect through relationships, etc. But nobody on earth, but you, can decide and make yourself not go and eat those things. Your mind play tricks on you and tells you that "just one won't hurt", or my favorite, "tomorrow is a new day". That kind of stuff you just need to be aware of and nip it in the bud. How much water do you drink in cups/ounces per day?
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Having been down this exact road, I think you are actually craving, not addicted to, the taste of sodium/fat that is present in most fast foods. I could probably guess you aren't ordering the salads/wraps/grilled chx, etc. type of foods. You are probably going for the grease and salt.

I usually order a 2-3 piece quarter pack, which has a bread bun, a regular potato and gravy, chips with chicken salt, 2-3 pieces of original recipe chicken and a pepsi max.
    How much water do you drink in cups/ounces per day?

I just drink when I'm thirsty, so probably not enough. I do drink a lot of tea though.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it and you don't have to.
  • jessieandcharlotte78
    Options
    And all the "just want it more than you want fatty foods" comments ring true. That's the reality of this whole weight loss thing. I wish I could tell you how to flip that switch, for most of us it's viewing a picture of us (we look different in a mirror) or trying to fit into some old piece of clothing. If you have been big your whole life, like me, it comes with medical/health issues, self inflicted health problems that SUCK *kitten*. EVERY JOURNEY BEGINS WITH ONE STEP! You think you can't stay away from the bk, for one day, UNTIL YOU DO!
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Log everything. Even the bad stuff. Are you still going to eat it whether you log it or not? Probably. So might as well be truthful with yourself and log it. Maybe over time, when you see what you are eating, it will make help you to stop eating it. Prelogging a day of good food might help you to stop also. If you take some time to do food prep the night before, you are more likely to eat all of that because you took all that time to prepare and log it. At least that's what helps me.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Per logging helps me- I will plan that "bad" food. Often I end up not ordering a full meal. I don't like fries and don't need a huge soda (just drink a small can when I get home). I usually get them just because it is a "value" meal. Now I just get what I want. I love KFC, but I just get a small meal. It is prelogged so no worries. You are putting these items or the forbidden list which makes it even more desired.

also, try making similar items at home. A good burger is a great meal and you have control over what is in it.
  • xstephnz
    xstephnz Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I also like the BK Hawaiian Chicken burger, which has bacon, chicken, cheese, pineapple and lettuce (I think). I tried making it at home, but it tasted nothing like the real thing :(
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I think I have an addiction.

No, you just need to exercise a bit more willpower. Stop looking for excuses and stay out of BK and KFC.

You don't think you can be addicted to food? I have tried using the will power thing, and have tried waiting it out, but I am obsessed with those places for days after not going.

No, you aren't addicted. Will power takes constant use to build up. But as you said you want it more after not going, and from the title of your thread labeling it bad food, I'm going to assume that you try to cut it out completely.

Stop calling it good or bad, it's food. Stop telling yourself you can't eat it. I know for myself the minute I say I can't have this, I want it that much more. You can include fast food and anything else you want into your flexible diet, track it and make it fit into your day.

^This.

Eat it, log it, make it fit into your day. Even if it's all you eat that day. Eventually, you will want to be able to eat more food, which will push you to make different decisions regarding meal choices, food volume and so on.

For example, I'm a sucker for a Capriott's Bobbi. I eat it, and it's a whole day's worth of calories. Which means that's all I eat for the day. Boring...and not sustainable over time. A treat every once in a while (like when I'm hungover)? Sure. But most days I prefer to eat 3-4 meals.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Am I right in assuming you will go eat it and then not log it out of fear? In that case my advice would be – force yourself to log it!

I tend to do the same. It is much easier to ignore the huge calorie intake from "bad" foods when you just don't log it.

I would find myself craving for fries with all kind of sauces, and then would chicken out when it came to logging them, and it would just slip by. Last time I finally forced myself to do it and remained aghast at the huge number that came out. Basically if I had wanted to stay within my calorie goal for the week I would have had to skip dinner and eat only 600 calories the next day.

Now I think twice before getting fries. They are yummy and I will never fully give them up… but at the moment I care more about getting fit and looking better. :)

So go log all the "bad" food you eat! Make yourself accountable for it!
  • mbcaldwell123
    mbcaldwell123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep, be obsessed, just don't go..... If I really crave something I'll think about it for weeks before I give in, then I eat it, feel crud and don't do it again for a few weeks ;)

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    rekite2000 wrote: »
    Per logging helps me- I will plan that "bad" food. Often I end up not ordering a full meal. I don't like fries and don't need a huge soda (just drink a small can when I get home). I usually get them just because it is a "value" meal. Now I just get what I want. I love KFC, but I just get a small meal. It is prelogged so no worries. You are putting these items or the forbidden list which makes it even more desired.

also, try making similar items at home. A good burger is a great meal and you have control over what is in it.

KFC is a freaking pain in the *kitten*, and yet even there you an get lower calorie combinations. After half an hour on their website I found a meal (with fried chicken, none of that grilled nonsense) that only put me at 680 calories. Actually way better than I expected.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    For me two years ago it was Taco Bell - I was having it every other day. I would get five tacos, three encheritos, and two bean burritos. I would have it during my lunch break at work. Every time I would try to quit I would last a day and then be right back again. I was always craving it and thinking about it. What worked for me was to make something similar at home, in smaller portions. I wanted the salt and the grease. For a few months every time I had a craving I would make my own 'Taco Bell' version, and while it was cooking I would drink as much water as I could as added insurance to keep my portions small. After A while I noticed the cravings were virtually gone. When I would have the odd craving I would do serious research about how Taco Bell food was processed, and would study the ingredient list which would put me off eating, so I wasn't giving into the craving lol. Good luck to you - food cravings are the worst when you're calorie counting!!!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about chocolate although I don't believe it's an addiction.
    I don't eat as much as I used to and switched to dark chocolate but I want it everyday and I DON'T want to resist it so I work it into my day and workout everyday to make sure I'm within my goal.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Don't go to those places. Seriously, you need to make a conscious choice to go to those places, if the smells and ease of getting the stuff is too much for you, then you need to stay out until you have some willpower.

You don't have an addiction. You have a habit. You can break it if you want to...it's not easy to break habits, but it's not impossible.

Start taking the money you've been throwing down the drain on fast food and put it in a jar. Spend it on someting nice when you have a certain amount in there...get a massage or a gym membership or a new pair of trousers if your old ones have mysteriously gotten too big....
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Arby's all the time but I just stopped going. And I don't want it anymore
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If you're going to go with that approach you might as well never log.

Yup, even if YOU don't log it, YOUR BODY will.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I think I have an addiction.

No, you just need to exercise a bit more willpower. Stop looking for excuses and stay out of BK and KFC.

You don't think you can be addicted to food? I have tried using the will power thing, and have tried waiting it out, but I am obsessed with those places for days after not going.

A habit takes two weeks to break (or more). Do a 30 day "no fast food" challenge. You'll be surprised by the end!

There's nothing wrong with eating fast food every now and then, but sometimes you have to quit entirely for awhile before you can slowly add in some without going overboard.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Eat it, log it, have a lighter breakfast and dinner.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Great advice here. The number one thing is to keep logging it. That will help you to see what you are doing and enable you to try some different strategies. You can work on pre-logging, exploring fast food options that fit into your goals, cooking similar foods yourself, etc. For me, if I am going for fast food it is usually a sign that I'm not effectively planning to have meals when I need them. I always have my snack foods and have a general plan for lunch and dinner (95% of the time I pack these). If you either don't eat enough or don't have a plan for your meals, it will be hard not to go for the convenient option.

Re addiction, whether it is physiological or behavioral, you will find that if you start going for fast food less often it will get easier and easier not to go. However, if you tell yourself you can't ever go then you are very likely to have what we call an "extinction burst" where your urge to go gets even stronger.