paleo vs. calorie counting healthy foods

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Summrbunni wrote: »
    ssjones999 wrote: »
    Need advice. Paleo vs calories counting with healthy foods??? Opinions please. my sister in law is basically eating paleo, no white foods, dairy etc. the weight is falling off. I'm over here losing weight, but much slower. I just don't think I could do the paleo lifestyle forever.

Do you think you can count calories forever? I know I couldn't so I am doing a low carb lifestyle. I like it because I can eat rich, low carb, high fat foods and as much as I need to...and I feel so satisfied. I admit, it's a lot of work cooking and kind of expensive but you are worth it. I really prefer this way of life verses low cal!

Too most of the posters here, you might as well have said the earth is flat. Calories in, calories out, there can be no other way.

Can't get around those pesky laws of thermodynamics.

I am not an expert on the law of thermodynamics. But when I Google "a calorie is not a calorie," there is a whole host of evidence, mostly within the last five years, that the law of thermodynamics does not apply when it comes to weight loss. But what is your response? It's all garbage. It's all impossible. They are all liars who are just trying to sell something. Not worth reading. CICO or else!

OK - find me the one person that has a maintenance level calories of 2000, and eats 4000 a day and loses weight…

I won't hold my breath ..

google does not equal science….

• ndj1979
    Options
    I eat mostly paleo. Probably about 80/20 right now, trying to get to 90/10. YOU STILL HAVE TO COUNT CALORIES. But for me (and many others), eating at a deficit is way way easier when I am on paleo. There are a ton of reasons why, and they can vary for the individual, and some people on this site will get angry when you bring it up, but there it is.

Try it out, keep counting calories, see if you like it and/or if it is sustainable for you. If so, go paleo! If not, try something else! Check out the paleo/primal group on here for more info. Good luck!

LOL yea when you restrict whole food groups it gets a lot easier to eat less….

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Need advice. Paleo vs calories counting with healthy foods??? Opinions please. my sister in law is basically eating paleo, no white foods, dairy etc. the weight is falling off. I'm over here losing weight, but much slower. I just don't think I could do the paleo lifestyle forever.

Do you think you can count calories forever? I know I couldn't so I am doing a low carb lifestyle. I like it because I can eat rich, low carb, high fat foods and as much as I need to...and I feel so satisfied. I admit, it's a lot of work cooking and kind of expensive but you are worth it. I really prefer this way of life verses low cal!

Too most of the posters here, you might as well have said the earth is flat. Calories in, calories out, there can be no other way.

I am not an expert on the law of thermodynamics. But when I Google "a calorie is not a calorie," there is a whole host of evidence, mostly within the last five years, that the law of thermodynamics does not apply when it comes to weight loss. But what is your response? It's all garbage. It's all impossible. They are all liars who are just trying to sell something. Not worth reading. CICO or else!

Did you actually open any of those articles? Because they would probably state the variability of effects that macros have on one's body. Because for the eleventy billionth time, a calorie is a unit of measure, but proteins, carbs and fats have different impacts on ones weight loss ability.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I can google alien encounters and get a whole host of evidence. All hail our alien overlords.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

I can google alien encounters and get a whole host of evidence. All hail our alien overlords.

their here…their here..they are among us!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Paleo is the biggest joke ever. If you are going to do 100% paleo, then you need to study op on what our paleolithic brethren really ate = semi raw meat, grubs, insects, etc…

YOur sister in law is lowing weight because she is restricting entire food groups, which has lead to a drastic reduction in calories.

IMO you will be much happier enjoying all the foods you love, tracking your calories, and hitting macros…

I would be miserable if I could not eat brad..

with respect to fat loss Paloe is not superior to any other "method/tool" because at the end of the day fat loss = calorie deficit...

To add: the "paleo" diet varies by geography. There is evidence carb intake was between 25%-40% (even the eskimos) some societies even higher. There are modern Hunter-Gather tribes whose diet are primarily all carbohydrates (Ewe Tribe, Turkisenta, and Kitivans)
  • ssjones999
    ssjones999 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Can some one give me any tips on the MACROS way? I have done great counting calories and don't feel deprived of any food group, but feel like there is more I need to be doing.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Can some one give me any tips on the MACROS way? I have done great counting calories and don't feel deprived of any food group, but feel like there is more I need to be doing.

what are your goals?

if primarily fat loss then you just need to be in a deficit and macro adherence is not as important..

if body comp, overall health and fitness, then macro adherence and calorie counting are important.
  • ssjones999
    Options
    Well initally fat loss is primary goal, but I'm a runner and I have never been able to get any definition even when at my best weight. BTW, I do weight training as well.

what are your goals?

if primarily fat loss then you just need to be in a deficit and macro adherence is not as important..

if body comp, overall health and fitness, then macro adherence and calorie counting are important.

Well initally fat loss is primary goal, but I'm a runner and I have never been able to get any definition even when at my best weight. BTW, I do weight training as well.
  • ndj1979
    Options

what are your goals?

what kind of weight training?

how may days do you weight train and how many do you run?

Is your weight training a home made program or one that was designed by a trainer or something like that...
  • ssjones999
    Options

what are your goals?

what kind of weight training?

how may days do you weight train and how many do you run?

Is your weight training a home made program or one that was designed by a trainer or something like that...

Running 4-5 times a week, my weight training was with free weights and some pulley machines. Home made program.... I just want more definition. I'm 44 years old with 2 kids. Don't plan to do any body competitions....just want to look fit.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

what are your goals?

Definition = low body fat levels. Of course you also need to at some point actively build muscle if there isn't anything there. So if you've gotten reaaally lean, I'm talking anywhere below 20% body fat, and you didn't have muscle definition.. then that's when you'd bulk and look to weight training as your primary exercise (since it's practically impossible to emphasize both running and weights, from what I've seen and read). Protein minimums are important, as is eating enough.ALl of this varies for individual people though.
  • ssjones999
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

what are your goals?

Definition = low body fat levels. Of course you also need to at some point actively build muscle if there isn't anything there. So if you've gotten reaaally lean, I'm talking anywhere below 20% body fat, and you didn't have muscle definition.. then that's when you'd bulk and look to weight training as your primary exercise (since it's practically impossible to emphasize both running and weights, from what I've seen and read). Protein minimums are important, as is eating enough.ALl of this varies for individual people though.

So basically, I need to lean up, and drop body fat composition.....
    BTW, never been THAT lean....Not fat, but not that LEAN
  • Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options

even low carb is CICO …

what other way is there?

I don't know about that. If you eat a big steak every night I don't think it's low calorie.

You sure can eat steak every night. Not 16 ounces of steak, but a good 8 ounces can still be eaten if it fits in your daily calorie allotment. I do it quite a bit and still lose.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

what are your goals?

I agree with you on definition=low body fat levels. However... A healthy body fat level for a woman is slightly above 20%. I'm under 20%, about 17% right now, and I didn't get there by dieting and losing weight. I exclusively got there from 25% body fat by lifting weights and eating at maintenance, rarely ever any 'regular' cardio, some HIIT and circuit training with weights.
    While this is my personal experience on the nutrition part of the issue, the exercise part is no coincindence. You can't diet down the percentage of body fat to this level. The previous poster who is a runner, made the point already. You can 'cardio' all you want to, in the end, you'll just be a lighter version of probably the original body composition. That' why it's called 'percentage'...some fat will melt, but also lean muscle mass.
    To the OP's question, if you look at it, 10 tbs of peanut butter are also 'paleo'...and would pretty much use up most of my calorie allowance for one day, without nutritional benefits for me personally. Some 'bodies' respond better to a certain nutrition, others won't. In the end, all that counts is the energy balance that's required to fit your fitness goals. Some need to gain, some need to lose, and in my case, I'm maintaining well on high protein/moderate carbs. I'm still gaining lean muscle mass, but I also work my little hind end off in the process. And this is even harder, being under this popular 'healthy' level of body fat.
    Don't be fooled or discouraged by your in-law's current success. It might change next month. And then there's the possibility that she might not be truthful with what she's telling you. I've known someone who was eating well, too, but never kept it in.... Exercise and eat well to keep yourself happy and healthy in your body and your mind! Good luck!
  • ssjones999
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »

what are your goals?

I agree with you on definition=low body fat levels. However... A healthy body fat level for a woman is slightly above 20%. I'm under 20%, about 17% right now, and I didn't get there by dieting and losing weight. I exclusively got there from 25% body fat by lifting weights and eating at maintenance, rarely ever any 'regular' cardio, some HIIT and circuit training with weights.
    While this is my personal experience on the nutrition part of the issue, the exercise part is no coincindence. You can't diet down the percentage of body fat to this level. The previous poster who is a runner, made the point already. You can 'cardio' all you want to, in the end, you'll just be a lighter version of probably the original body composition. That' why it's called 'percentage'...some fat will melt, but also lean muscle mass.
    To the OP's question, if you look at it, 10 tbs of peanut butter are also 'paleo'...and would pretty much use up most of my calorie allowance for one day, without nutritional benefits for me personally. Some 'bodies' respond better to a certain nutrition, others won't. In the end, all that counts is the energy balance that's required to fit your fitness goals. Some need to gain, some need to lose, and in my case, I'm maintaining well on high protein/moderate carbs. I'm still gaining lean muscle mass, but I also work my little hind end off in the process. And this is even harder, being under this popular 'healthy' level of body fat.
    Don't be fooled or discouraged by your in-law's current success. It might change next month. And then there's the possibility that she might not be truthful with what she's telling you. I've known someone who was eating well, too, but never kept it in.... Exercise and eat well to keep yourself happy and healthy in your body and your mind! Good luck!

Thank you and your point is on spot with the in-law
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly paleo. Probably about 80/20 right now, trying to get to 90/10. YOU STILL HAVE TO COUNT CALORIES. But for me (and many others), eating at a deficit is way way easier when I am on paleo. There are a ton of reasons why, and they can vary for the individual, and some people on this site will get angry when you bring it up, but there it is.

Try it out, keep counting calories, see if you like it and/or if it is sustainable for you. If so, go paleo! If not, try something else! Check out the paleo/primal group on here for more info. Good luck!

Thread winner.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Thread winner.

I don't know how. Every person on that follows a fancy name diet or even a particular diet will say it's easier. I did 6 months of Paleo and you know how much I lost... 0 lbs. You know why, because it cut all the foods I loved and I binged. Do you which diet is the best? It's the one you can adhere to. For some it's paleo, others its low carb, vegetarian/vegan, IIFYM or etc... For me, it's 80-90% whole foods and the rest enjoyment.

• freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Paleo is the biggest joke ever. If you are going to do 100% paleo, then you need to study op on what our paleolithic brethren really ate = semi raw meat, grubs, insects, etc…

YOur sister in law is lowing weight because she is restricting entire food groups, which has lead to a drastic reduction in calories.

IMO you will be much happier enjoying all the foods you love, tracking your calories, and hitting macros…

I would be miserable if I could not eat brad..

with respect to fat loss Paloe is not superior to any other "method/tool" because at the end of the day fat loss = calorie deficit...

So you've never tried and have no experience with it but you're certain it's "the biggest joke ever"?

Sigh.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Counting calories is a lot more sustainable than eating low-carb.

Most can calorie count for their whole life, most cannot eat low-carb for their whole life.