Appetite suppressants anyone?

Options
I was wondering if anyone uses any appetite suppressants, and what ones they find most helpful? I'm not just talking about tea or herbal supplements. I mean anything that works for YOU.

For me, it's not to stop me being hungry, but really to either give my teeth/mouth some taste satisfaction even when I'm not hungry, or to distract me from the binge instinct.

For instance, for me, I often find that brushing my teeth and/or using mouthwash helps, or chewing a piece of sugar free gum.

What works for you??

Replies

• MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    nobody?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Exercise is one of the best appetite suppressants.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth too. If I feel I can't stop myself after a meal that is the first thing I do. Gum sometimes calms my craving for something sweet. Sometimes. Otherwise, I have one small piece of dark chocoloate every day after lunch. Totally helps my craving for that bag of peanut mm's from the vending machine.

Keeping busy also works for me. I'm big on eating just cause I am bored, so I try and have something to do or to occupy my mind, otherwise I'm likely to binge.
  • MouseFood
    Options
    ninerbuff, very true.

kaili, good tips, ty. i was doing the dark choc thing for a while but I kind of forgot about it. I should start that up again.

i eat when I'm bored too, or lonely.
  • kailibertsch
    Options
    I eat for all kinds of reasons. I'll have to try the exercise trick though. I know on days I exercise I am more motivated to eat healtier, so I could see it suprressing my urge to eat justbecause.
  • MouseFood
    Options
    Yup, me too ... la sigh. I will add you as a friend if you like. I am soon going to be starting a thread for those with eating disorders of any kind, like a weekly chat type thing, if you think it would be helpful.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Talk on the phone
    Read
    Shop
    Water
    Exercise
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of people think like me. My first instinctual answer was exercise and the second was gum. I distinguish between "chew" hunger and "I am about to faint from lack of food" hunger. I feed the second, defer the first.
  • kailibertsch
    Options
    MouseFood wrote: »
    Yup, me too ... la sigh. I will add you as a friend if you like. I am soon going to be starting a thread for those with eating disorders of any kind, like a weekly chat type thing, if you think it would be helpful.

Totally add me. That would be great! I know there is an Overeater Anonymous group on here where they require participation, but I think you have to reach out to actually be invited to it. Let me know if you create a group!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MouseFood wrote: »
    ninerbuff, very true.

kaili, good tips, ty. i was doing the dark choc thing for a while but I kind of forgot about it. I should start that up again.

i eat when I'm bored too, or lonely.

Distract yourself when this happens.

Paint your nails
    Go for a walk
    Lift weights
    Make a puzzle
    Read a book
    Knit
    Draw
    Paint
    Color
  • valerie_neuharth
    valerie_neuharth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    chocolate - I crave it, so one bite usually works pretty good....usually....
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    rub one out and go to sleep.
  • savannahdougherty7
    savannahdougherty7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do- I am working with a weight loss doctor in my area. He has me on 15mg of Adipex. It's not a long-term drug, but something to help suppress appetite until your body learns how to eat an appropriate amount, then he weens you off. It is day 2 for me on the medicine and I feel fine. A lot more productive and focused that's for sure, reminds me of a less intense adderal.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Just say no! Healthy eating, exercise and lots of water. I know it’s just my philosophy but the few pills in your life the better.
    Fight the urge, stay active, go for walks, get out of the house, whatever it takes.
    I wish you the best.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If I feel the sort of "hungry" that I know is not ACTUALLY hunger, I have a tall glass of water. And I don't intentionally exercise to suppress my appetite, but I notice that when I am exercising, food is usually far from my mind. To suppress my cravings for something that I really want to taste but know the calories won't work for me today, I indulge in a bite or two and stop there (I had a few sips of my hubby's Dr. Pepper before I had decided whether I was going to have any today, and until now, I hadn't thought about it since).
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I have some serious reservations regarding this post and the fact that the OP is planning an eating disorder thread. It sounds like a disaster in the making. I literally spend hours on this site being the voice for ED and recovery, and I hate the idea that someone looking for appetite suppression would feel qualified to lead such a discussion.

Side note: Exercise does the opposite for me. I workout, and I voracious afterwards, so if I was trying to limit my intake at that point in time, there's no way I would do that.

The implementation of exercise to avoid hunger or eating is an ED tactic. I understand doing this in response to boredom, but doing this to avoid food that you legitimately need is exceptionally dangerous.
  • kkweathers
    kkweathers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on this site only 10 days, but I find that the Reports allows me to track my sugar content daily. IF I keep my sugar below the recommended goal each day, I am not hungry all the time. Sugar is in everything as we know. Low sugar intake helps stave off hunger for me! If my sugar intake goes above that line, then I am ravenous!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    This whole thread makes me uncomfortable.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat better, better quality food, taste- and nutrientwise.
    Exercise, and otherwise be enganged in something that isn't compatible with eating.
    Eat only at meals.
    Drink only water and black coffee and tea between meals.
    Learn to distinguish between hunger and craving, and act accordingly to those feelings.