Planet Fitness Comes to Canada

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    There is data proving that low gym prices lead to reduced levels of gym usage on a percentile basis from the paying userbase.

Regardless of what you think. :)
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That's nice. Can you provide a link?
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness has my vote because it's 1) Close to work 2) Huge and always has an available machine 3)Cheap for what I want to do there 4) Does not make me sign a contract. I can leave whenever I want if I feel it no longer fits my needs. I have not found one other gym in my town that does not make me sign a year long contract which I hate!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My biggest beef with PF isn't that it's a gym, it's not that it has a judgemental 'judgement free' zone. It's not that they offer free pizza one a week or month. It's not the lunk alarm or that there are no free weights. It's not that the CEO doesn't use his own gyms and works out in his basement.

My beef with PF is that they advertise themselves as a gym for people to get healthy when really, that's the opposite from their real goal. Their real goal is to lure people who don't go to the gym to give them $10/month, every month. There is one, count it: ONE Planet Fitness in Canada so far that opened not long ago. It already has 6000 members. That's $60k in their pocket EVERY MONTH. I'm willing to bet most of those people will only go once or twice, yet they will never cancel their membership.

Planet Fitness isn't in the business to make you healthy. They're in it for the money.

Which, frankly, is brilliant.

Actually that's NOT 60k in their pocket every month. It's probably way less than that. They have to pay the employees, pay the building lease, utilities (water and electricity which is probably huge, satellite for the tv's, internet), whatever franchise fee they have to pay, pay whatever maintenance they have to do on the machines, probably pay the bill for all the equipment that they have purchased for the gym . . .so no, with one franchise location they're not bringing home a boat load of money. They'd be lucky if they break even.

Now if they owned half a dozen franchises then they'd be making some change.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    There's no reason for all the bashing against PF.

Would you still say that if they were to ridicule fat people instead of bodybuilders in their ads? This is a serious question.

Bodybuilders intimidate some people. Many people feel self-conscious enough when going to the gym- add bodybuilders to the mix and people may feel even more out of place. They may be going about it the wrong way but I think PF is trying to eliminate that feeling of intimidation.

PF is a gym for individuals who are there for exercise- not for bodybuilding. PF is cheap because they don't need to spend the money on very expensive equipment and weights that bodybuilding requires.

Even if PF didn't have a "No bodybuilder policy", bodybuilders still wouldn't go there because the gym isn't suitable due to the lack of equipment that clientele requires.

• dbmata
    edited January 2015
    Options
    That's nice. Can you provide a link?

Eh, I can't find the article anymore. I peeked around for it. Oh well.

ETA - I will add: If you have at least a basic grasp of the fundies of econ, this paper is related and interesting.
    http://eml.berkeley.edu/~sdellavi/wp/gymempAER.pdf

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Would you still say that if they were to ridicule fat people instead of bodybuilders in their ads? This is a serious question.

Bodybuilders intimidate some people. Many people feel self-conscious enough when going to the gym- add bodybuilders to the mix and people may feel even more out of place. They may be going about it the wrong way but I think PF is trying to eliminate that feeling of intimidation.

PF is a gym for individuals who are there for exercise- not for bodybuilding. PF is cheap because they don't need to spend the money on very expensive equipment and weights that bodybuilding requires.

Even if PF didn't have a "No bodybuilder policy", bodybuilders still wouldn't go there because the gym isn't suitable due to the lack of equipment that clientele requires.

Because it's worth linking to again, so "bodybuilder" can be put in cotenxt and because it's hilarious. You know, the "animals can go in this cage..." Do you think she even knows what "lunk or lunk head" even means? What percentage of ANY facility uses it for bodybuilding?

http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592

IMHO, PF is feeding the intimidation and judgment stigma of other gyms with "bodybuilders" that doesn't exist. I think I've seen 1 bodybuilder and 3 pro football players in about 15 years of gym going to multiple facilities. But hey, that's what they want. Feed on the false judgment that the novice believes occurs in every other facility and fill that membership base, when in turn they can perform all the judgment they want....as long as you fit the fitness enthusiast description.

PF doesn't spend money on expensive equipment? Which facilities are they using to film their commercials?

• FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Because it's worth linking to again, so "bodybuilder" can be put in cotenxt and because it's hilarious. You know, the "animals can go in this cage..." Do you think she even knows what "lunk or lunk head" even means? What percentage of ANY facility uses it for bodybuilding?

IMHO, PF is feeding the intimidation and judgment stigma of other gyms with "bodybuilders" that doesn't exist. I think I've seen 1 bodybuilder and 3 pro football players in about 15 years of gym going to multiple facilities. But hey, that's what they want. Feed on the false judgment that the novice believes occurs in every other facility and fill that membership base, when in turn they can perform all the judgment they want....as long as you fit the fitness enthusiast description.

PF doesn't spend money on expensive equipment? Which facilities are they using to film their commercials?

In my opinion, that video is completely staged. It looks fake, it sounds fake, and it seems as though the "actors" memorized the lines the producer(s) typed on the script.

I didn't say they don't spend money on expensive equipment. I said they don't have to spend the money on super expensive equipment that bodybuilders use.

I don't agree with their philosophy. I simply provided an explanation for why they don't want bodybuilders in their facilities.

• dbmata
    Options
    I didn't say they don't spend money on expensive equipment. I said they don't have to spend the money on super expensive equipment that bodybuilders use.
    I know I'm just a spectator for the sport, but... what equipment would that be?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd totally sign up for this if one of them opened up within an 8 minute walk from me (that is my main criteria for a gym). I can't use much equipment anyway. IF they haD a bike and a cable machine, I'd be good.

More than good, I'd be SO HAPPY. The Y is $65/mo, my last membership at a community centre was $55, current membership at a no-frills private gym is $50. $10 would be AMAZING
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Well, for one, they don't have squat racks or Olympic benches. They have a 'no deadlift and clean & jerk policy' (stupid, I know). Two exercises that are big in the "bodybuilding" world. I believe the dumbbells only go up to 70 or so pounds.
  • dbmata
    Options

Well, for one, they don't have squat racks or Olympic benches. They have a 'no deadlift and clean & jerk policy' (stupid, I know). Two exercises that are big in the "bodybuilding" world. I believe the dumbbells only go up to 70 or so pounds.
    A good cage will be sub 1k, a decent leg press is like what, 3k-6k? I saw a PF once that had 4 of those in one corner.

If we're talking gear like that, it's fairly cheap stuff. Some folks claim there are actually barbells and cages at some PFs.

that would be something to see.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    tomsarno wrote: »
    I'd bet the number is sub 5%.

That is why the don't want bodybuilders or "Lunks" joining. They target their advertisement to the type of person who will join and not show up. The low price is also factored in to likelihood of attendance. Most people don't feel compelled to use their membership if it is only a waste of $10. A higher price would bring in more money but more people would actually be showing up. Their business plan is a delicate balance of getting the most members to join without having to expand the size or number of facilities.

Well, entering a new market the plan is to add a lot of facilities, but essentially... yes, what you wrote out is the strategy, and it's a good one.

MAximize membership while minimizing actual facilities wear and tear costs by ensuring the cost is so low that no one goes.

Essentially the members who are absent are paying for the members who do go.

that's every gym, though.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    ksuh999 wrote: »
    My biggest beef with PF isn't that it's a gym, it's not that it has a judgemental 'judgement free' zone. It's not that they offer free pizza one a week or month. It's not the lunk alarm or that there are no free weights. It's not that the CEO doesn't use his own gyms and works out in his basement.

My beef with PF is that they advertise themselves as a gym for people to get healthy when really, that's the opposite from their real goal. Their real goal is to lure people who don't go to the gym to give them $10/month, every month. There is one, count it: ONE Planet Fitness in Canada so far that opened not long ago. It already has 6000 members. That's $60k in their pocket EVERY MONTH. I'm willing to bet most of those people will only go once or twice, yet they will never cancel their membership.

Planet Fitness isn't in the business to make you healthy. They're in it for the money.

How is this different than every other gym?

Simple. Other gyms offer equipment for someone who is more likely to frequent the gym, and other gyms are more like $50+/month, not $10.

"More likely"? Can you give me a number? Like someone who goes to the Y is 43.56% more likely to go on Tuesdays? Or wut?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

In my opinion, that video is completely staged. It looks fake, it sounds fake, and it seems as though the "actors" memorized the lines the producer(s) typed on the script.

I don't agree with their philosophy. I simply provided an explanation for why they don't want bodybuilders in their facilities.

Actually, it's the cardio equipment that's expensive. It probably takes the price of about 2-3 cardio machines to equip the entire free weight section of a PF.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Really? It sounds a lot like may of the PF defenders on this board, so I find it totally plausible. I guess that's me though.

I know why they don't want fitness enthusiasts (let's quit with this whole "bodybuilder" thing). It's to take advantage the urban myth(s) of gyms full of people who are just there to judge you and that they're lined with only "bodybuilders", that many individuals who have never stepped into a gym believe. It's not rocket math.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

A good cage will be sub 1k, a decent leg press is like what, 3k-6k? I saw a PF once that had 4 of those in one corner.

If we're talking gear like that, it's fairly cheap stuff. Some folks claim there are actually barbells and cages at some PFs.

that would be something to see.

Yeah, no leg press at the PF I go to. Good thing my Y has two and my schools gym has one. My PF does have barbells but you can't remove the weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Brilliant? Ummm.....everyone is in business for the money. That's why they call it business.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Oh noes. Just realized that one thing about this PF thing is that it will probably attract a lot of teenaged boys/college aged men and thus even more equipment hoarding, attitude, and grunting than usual... Although I still see that stuff at my gym, it would be worse, I would think. Steering clear of all that might be worth $40.

• dbmata
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    tomsarno wrote: »
    I'd bet the number is sub 5%.

That is why the don't want bodybuilders or "Lunks" joining. They target their advertisement to the type of person who will join and not show up. The low price is also factored in to likelihood of attendance. Most people don't feel compelled to use their membership if it is only a waste of $10. A higher price would bring in more money but more people would actually be showing up. Their business plan is a delicate balance of getting the most members to join without having to expand the size or number of facilities.

Well, entering a new market the plan is to add a lot of facilities, but essentially... yes, what you wrote out is the strategy, and it's a good one.

MAximize membership while minimizing actual facilities wear and tear costs by ensuring the cost is so low that no one goes.

Essentially the members who are absent are paying for the members who do go.

that's every gym, though.
    To a lesser extent, yes.

Every gym isn't based on that direct market approach. This is a smart flip of the dynamic.