Why is it so gosh darn hard to lose body fat???!!!

Options

Replies

• kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    kevinmacpa wrote: »
    Sigh. This bull again? Okay... Dr. Lustig...

Meta-analysis studies have indicated that the clinical trials cited by Lustig, which were aimed at studying carbohydrate consumption, were of only short duration and variable quality, and that study subjects had only modest increases in body weight, thus precluding definitive conclusions. Sources: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22351714, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22617566

In athletes requiring sugar to meet their caloric needs, fructose may enhance exercise performance by stimulating nutrient absorption and energy metabolism. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20622544

I am not watching an hour long video from a hack.

To answer your subject line, it is not hard to lose body fat. Some people overeat because they're eating to cope with their problem. Other people just don't understand portion sizes. It's not that hard to figure out which pool you fall into and how to work on yourself.

About the trial result not being conclusive, I think it depends on personal opinion. But if you disagree, I respect that. My train of thought is better safe than sorry.

Moderate consumption of fructose by athletes may enhance performance, this could be true, but I think this is more about energy from fructose help athletes recover better after intense training; or increased energy during their exercise. But even in the article you citied, they even said they are not sure if there could be any long term negative effects.

With the amount of training and diet control for athletes, I don't think any of them need to worry about becoming obese. But for normal people like us, do you perform physical activity or training even half as hard as professional athletes? If you do, you wouldn't be overweight or obese. I can guarantee you that.

"In athletes requiring sugar to meet caloric need" if this fits you, then go consume fructose if you want to. But in normal people who are struggling to keep their sugar intake, blood glucose level, or calorie consumption under control, i don't see why you should consume large amount of fructose when there are far better options.

Carb is not the devil, but any food that contains high concentration of fructose without dietary fiber is, at least for regular people who don't have their own personal dietitian.

LOL so if you eat sugar you can only lose weight with a personal dietician?? Is that what you are saying?

I lost 50 pounds ten years ago, and have kept it off all the while eating sugar and NOT having a personal dietician..

fat loss is not hard..

people just want to blame "evil sugar" for their lack of self control and dedication to do what it takes..

#thiscrapisgettingold

Well, good for you to lose that much fat and kept it off. It's a lot of work.

People can certainly lose weight while consuming sugar. How much do you consume and what kind of sugar do you consume is the real question. If you know what you are doing, for example, you know how much you can eat and maybe counting some calories, then there is no doubt if you keep your calorie intake below your daily requirement you will lose weight.

But the general population are overweight or obese, for most people, if they don't track caloric intake, the easiest way to keep their calorie consumption in check is to cut food with large amount of added sugar. Even for some people who just started tracking caloric intake, they might have trouble cutting enough calories to maintain a daily calorie deficit. Because food with large concentration of added sugar most of the time are dense in calorie, but have next to nothing of nutrients, they should be the first thing out of your daily food list.

Occasional indulgence is no problem, even if you eat it everyday for a solid reason then why not, but if you HAVE to eat it everyday just because, then you probably have a problem and it could lead to chronic diseases.

so now you are saying that everyone does not need a personal dietician?

If obese people just reduced their overall intake by 15% and kept eating sugar they would lose weight.

Sugar is not the culprit, overindulgence is.

Not everyone needs a dietitian to lose weight while consuming sugar, but sugar is still the devil.

If obese people cut their overall intake by 15% and kept eating sugar, they can lose weight, but if obese people just cut their sugary food especially soft drinks, which doesn't contribute to satiety, and keep all their other food consumption, they will easily cut no less than 15% of calorie intake.

Sugar is addictive if you over consume it, sugar craving is what's causing the overindulgence.

no, sugar is not addictive.

Tell that to countless people starting threads asking for help to solve their sugar craving problems. They are a few on the first page right now actually. What are the chances? Lol.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Meta-analysis studies have indicated that the clinical trials cited by Lustig, which were aimed at studying carbohydrate consumption, were of only short duration and variable quality, and that study subjects had only modest increases in body weight, thus precluding definitive conclusions. Sources: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22351714, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22617566

In athletes requiring sugar to meet their caloric needs, fructose may enhance exercise performance by stimulating nutrient absorption and energy metabolism. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20622544

To answer your subject line, it is not hard to lose body fat. Some people overeat because they're eating to cope with their problem. Other people just don't understand portion sizes. It's not that hard to figure out which pool you fall into and how to work on yourself.

About the trial result not being conclusive, I think it depends on personal opinion. But if you disagree, I respect that. My train of thought is better safe than sorry.

Moderate consumption of fructose by athletes may enhance performance, this could be true, but I think this is more about energy from fructose help athletes recover better after intense training; or increased energy during their exercise. But even in the article you citied, they even said they are not sure if there could be any long term negative effects.

With the amount of training and diet control for athletes, I don't think any of them need to worry about becoming obese. But for normal people like us, do you perform physical activity or training even half as hard as professional athletes? If you do, you wouldn't be overweight or obese. I can guarantee you that.

"In athletes requiring sugar to meet caloric need" if this fits you, then go consume fructose if you want to. But in normal people who are struggling to keep their sugar intake, blood glucose level, or calorie consumption under control, i don't see why you should consume large amount of fructose when there are far better options.

Carb is not the devil, but any food that contains high concentration of fructose without dietary fiber is, at least for regular people who don't have their own personal dietitian.

LOL so if you eat sugar you can only lose weight with a personal dietician?? Is that what you are saying?

I lost 50 pounds ten years ago, and have kept it off all the while eating sugar and NOT having a personal dietician..

fat loss is not hard..

people just want to blame "evil sugar" for their lack of self control and dedication to do what it takes..

#thiscrapisgettingold

People can certainly lose weight while consuming sugar. How much do you consume and what kind of sugar do you consume is the real question. If you know what you are doing, for example, you know how much you can eat and maybe counting some calories, then there is no doubt if you keep your calorie intake below your daily requirement you will lose weight.

But the general population are overweight or obese, for most people, if they don't track caloric intake, the easiest way to keep their calorie consumption in check is to cut food with large amount of added sugar. Even for some people who just started tracking caloric intake, they might have trouble cutting enough calories to maintain a daily calorie deficit. Because food with large concentration of added sugar most of the time are dense in calorie, but have next to nothing of nutrients, they should be the first thing out of your daily food list.

Occasional indulgence is no problem, even if you eat it everyday for a solid reason then why not, but if you HAVE to eat it everyday just because, then you probably have a problem and it could lead to chronic diseases.

If obese people just reduced their overall intake by 15% and kept eating sugar they would lose weight.

Not everyone needs a dietitian to lose weight while consuming sugar, but sugar is still the devil.

If obese people cut their overall intake by 15% and kept eating sugar, they can lose weight, but if obese people just cut their sugary food especially soft drinks, which doesn't contribute to satiety, and keep all their other food consumption, they will easily cut no less than 15% of calorie intake.

Sugar is addictive if you over consume it, sugar craving is what's causing the overindulgence.

Tell that to countless people starting threads asking for help to solve their sugar craving problems. They are a few on the first page right now actually.

lack of self control does not equal addiction.

• fit4eva86
    fit4eva86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

Tell that to countless people starting threads asking for help to solve their sugar craving problems. They are a few on the first page right now actually.
    Its not addictive, Yes people seem to eat and crave it more once they have a taste for it, Things like cookies, chocolate and so on, but sugar itself is not addictive. You don't hear people say they binged on banana's, grapes and other fruits/sugar!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Has anyone really reduced their sugar intake while maintaining their calorie intake and still lost weight? Odd, I've never read about anyone being able to lose weight this way. According to what's being touted, it's sugar that's evil, not the calories

You are missing the point. The major benefit of cutting food with high concentration of added sugar is not that you switch the calorie to something else. When you cut this kind of food, you eat other food with more nutrient and takes about the same amount of space in your stomach, but because they don't have concentrated sugar they have maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the calorie, but you feel just as full if not fuller, so you stop eating, thus without additional effort, without starvation, you just cut several hundred calories from your daily diet.

Once again, calorie in<calorie out= weight loss. How do you make sure your have calorie in<calorie out? You cut sugar dense processed food without starving yourself. When you are not in starvation, you don't have food cravings. When you don't have food cravings, you make less mistakes. When you make less mistakes, you have a better chance stay on track with your diet, and thus you lose the weight.

OR - you can keep eating processed foods and sugar and just eat less food, still not starve yourself, and lose weight..
    -
    not really getting your argument. YOu keep saying it is CICO but then keep coming back and trying to link it to sugar..

again, sugar is not the problem ..over indulgence is.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

and so few people choose to utilize it.
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Genetics maybe?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you use Lustig as your evidence, your position is fatally flawed.
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

Do people who fail at quitting smoking lack of self control? Do people who fail at quitting drug use lack of self control? They fail because there is an addiction. You don't solve addiction problem without first realizing the problem and take appropriate measures to correct it.

When you cut smoking suddenly, do you crave cigarette? When you cut
    fit4eva86 wrote: »

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

Its not addictive, Yes people seem to eat and crave it more once they have a taste for it, Things like cookies, chocolate and so on, but sugar itself is not addictive. You don't hear people say they binged on banana's, grapes and other fruits/sugar!

Do people who smoke cigarette have an addiction? Do people who do drugs have an addiction? Do they like the feeling of sticking a needle in their veins? No, they have addiction to cocaine or whatever drug it is that gives them the pleasurable stimulation. Why is it any different than sugar addiction.

If you over consume something which gives you pleasure but cause health problems, and when you try to quit, it gives you withdraw symptoms, then it is a toxin and it is addictive.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    OP - I eat 100+ grams of sugar a day ..I have no issues bulking, cutting, or maintaining..

you can eat sugar and lose body fat..it just take calorie deficit, hard work, and dedication ...
    I don't blame sugar but why I stopped losing weight eating at a defecit that worked the previous 5 months before randomly stopping has yet to be explained logically to me. "It just takes a calorie deficit" is the most overused chant on the planet. So one week I was in a deficit and the next I wasn't? Really? That makes no sense.

how long did you stop losing for?

could be a number of factors...

did you readjust your calorie intake at the lower level?
    were you using a food scale?

etc etc...

the calorie deficit "mantra" gets repeated because I have yet to meet a person that has lost weight while eating in a surplus...
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Has anyone really reduced their sugar intake while maintaining their calorie intake and still lost weight? Odd, I've never read about anyone being able to lose weight this way. According to what's being touted, it's sugar that's evil, not the calories

You are missing the point. The major benefit of cutting food with high concentration of added sugar is not that you switch the calorie to something else. When you cut this kind of food, you eat other food with more nutrient and takes about the same amount of space in your stomach, but because they don't have concentrated sugar they have maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the calorie, but you feel just as full if not fuller, so you stop eating, thus without additional effort, without starvation, you just cut several hundred calories from your daily diet.

Once again, calorie in<calorie out= weight loss. How do you make sure your have calorie in<calorie out? You cut sugar dense processed food without starving yourself. When you are not in starvation, you don't have food cravings. When you don't have food cravings, you make less mistakes. When you make less mistakes, you have a better chance stay on track with your diet, and thus you lose the weight.

Actually, you're making a huge assumption that by eliminating a sugary food, it would be automatically replaced by a snack with less calories. What's preventing them from eating a sugary snack to a salty one like potato chips?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

Do people who fail at quitting smoking lack of self control? Do people who fail at quitting drug use lack of self control? They fail because there is an addiction. You don't solve addiction problem without first realizing the problem and take appropriate measures to correct it.

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

Do people who smoke cigarette have an addiction? Do people who do drugs have an addiction? Do they like the feeling of sticking a needle in their veins? No, they have addiction to cocaine or whatever drug it is that gives them the pleasurable stimulation. Why is it any different than sugar addiction.

If you over consume something which gives you pleasure but cause health problems, and when you try to quit, it gives you withdraw symptoms, then it is a toxin and it is addictive.

OP ... once again you go into areas where science doesn't support your position.
  • fit4eva86
    fit4eva86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

You are saying sugar in its single form is addictive? do they eat the sugar straight from the tin? No! do they sit and eat bags of banana and grapes till they can not stop? no! You can not compare drugs to sugar. To even do that is ignorant.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I'll say this again as politely as possible. Addiction is the most overused and abused word in the arena of nutrition. Crack cocaine is addictive. Sugar is not.

I have not read where anyone has sold their kid's diapers on the street because they have lost the will to work, sold everything they have and will do anything for a snicker's bar.
  • ndj1979
    Options

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

fat loss is not hard..

#thiscrapisgettingold

First - you are equating sugar to crack cocaine...that is absurd and ridiculous...and is a total straw man argument.

Second - so anything that gives pleasure is then addictive? Based on that driving my sports car can be addictive because pleasure...again ridiculous.

• ndj1979
    Options
    finally, I found this today but have not had a chance to fully read, but I skimmed it and found it interesting..

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261561409002398

Results

The above predications have in common that on no occasion was the behaviour predicted by an animal model of sucrose addiction supported by human studies.

Conclusion

There is no support from the human literature for the hypothesis that sucrose may be physically addictive or that addiction to sugar plays a role in eating disorders.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

<snip for brevity>

As a former smoker, I'll weigh-in on this. Smoking is an addiction, in that the body gets addicted to nicotine. However, the nicotine is out of your system in about three days. The behaviors associated with smoking takes longer to adjust to, and are often what people refer to when they are "craving" a cigarette - it's not the nicotine they want, it's the comfort of smoking in response to the situation (after eating/while driving/when stressed).

Wanting to engage in the behavior because you find that comforting is not the same as a substance addiction. And often, that's the hardest part to overcome because you have modified your entire life to accommodate these behaviors in the first place, and now have to make changes that will impact your entire life to really change them. If you don't have a plan in place of what you're going to do with yourself when a situation arises (stress at work, your normal break time now not being used to smoke), you're more likely to revert to the previous behavior.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - I eat 100+ grams of sugar a day ..I have no issues bulking, cutting, or maintaining..

you can eat sugar and lose body fat..it just take calorie deficit, hard work, and dedication ...
    I don't blame sugar but why I stopped losing weight eating at a defecit that worked the previous 5 months before randomly stopping has yet to be explained logically to me. "It just takes a calorie deficit" is the most overused chant on the planet. So one week I was in a deficit and the next I wasn't? Really? That makes no sense.

etc etc...

the calorie deficit "mantra" gets repeated because I have yet to meet a person that has lost weight while eating in a surplus...

Yes to the food scale (I've been losing weight for several years and have lost close to 135lbs though no all in one consecutive streak. This all is not new to me.)

I adjusted some but there's only so low you can go before it's impractical. I was losing at 2300 then stopped. So I tried 2200. Nothing. Stalled over a month. Nothing. Same two pounds. Up one day. Down the next. Up one day. Down the next. What should I do? Eat 1500 calories? Then "you're starving yourself! eat more eat more eat more!"

Again, the logical question. Why was 2300 calories a day good for just under a pound a week from the end of May until the end of October only to randomly stop? Wouldn't it taper off slowly into slowly diminishing returns if it was simply just "eat at a deficit? The deficit would logically get gradually smaller. Wouldn't it be .5 pounds at least. then .25lbs loss. Why from 1lb a week lost to nothing? And I'm not saying you can lose in a surplus. Or that sugar is bad. That's dumb. But to say "just eat at a deficit" seems a little like BS also. Really? That's it? So why did that stop working?

if you lost 135 pounds (congrats by the way, that is awesome) I am assuming that your new deficit level is going to be below 2200...

I am 5-10 183 pound male (bulking now) but when I was 175 my maintenance level was about 2600 and my cut level was about 2000 t0 2200...

my suggestion would be to go to 2000 and see what happens...

what are your stats? age/height/weight/gender

• JeffseekingV
    Options

etc etc...

Yes to the food scale (I've been losing weight for several years and have lost close to 135lbs though no all in one consecutive streak. This all is not new to me.)

I adjusted some but there's only so low you can go before it's impractical. I was losing at 2300 then stopped. So I tried 2200. Nothing. Stalled over a month. Nothing. Same two pounds. Up one day. Down the next. Up one day. Down the next. What should I do? Eat 1500 calories? Then "you're starving yourself! eat more eat more eat more!"

Again, the logical question. Why was 2300 calories a day good for just under a pound a week from the end of May until the end of October only to randomly stop? Wouldn't it taper off slowly into slowly diminishing returns if it was simply just "eat at a deficit? The deficit would logically get gradually smaller. Wouldn't it be .5 pounds at least. then .25lbs loss. Why from 1lb a week lost to nothing? And I'm not saying you can lose in a surplus. Or that sugar is bad. That's dumb. But to say "just eat at a deficit" seems a little like BS also. Really? That's it? So why did that stop working?

Have you been re-entering your weight so this site re-calculates your calories?