I wanna dance!

Options
Okay, so I'm just sound-boarding off you guys.. so bear with me, please!
I really like to dance. But unfortunately I'm a person who hates busting out moves in public or with any potential of an audience. I live at home with my parents, so the living room (which has laminate hardwood) is off limits because my mother and I get home at the same time and I don't want her watching/seeing me jump around like a ninny. My bedroom is also off limits because it's so tiny.
The other downside is: I'm broke. I am a struggling student with full-time employment and I'm trying to save up for upcoming term tuition costs as well as for "move-out money". So I really want to avoid renting a space just so I can dance.
So I'm just wondering if any of you might have any thoughts or ideas about how I can go about gettin' down without breaking the bank...

Replies

• RachelSD7
    RachelSD7 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Can you just explain to your mum that you need the living room for one hour twice a week for some absolutely offensive dancing, and that unless she wants to risk losing an eye to some wayward arm movements, it's best to give you some privacy?
    I know I can't bring myself to workout in front of other people, so I clear out the living room, turn up the volume and slam it like the devil paid me to dance.
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise, see if you can babysit there or something so your membership can be free
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Work to get over your fear of dancing in public and take a class at your university fitness centre (they usually have discounted rates).
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Can you take up Zumba or something? Yes, it's in public, but nobody is looking at you, and everybody else looks just as awesome/goofy, depending on your perspective.
  • mystic81
    mystic81 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    joseph9 wrote: »
    Can you take up Zumba or something? Yes, it's in public, but nobody is looking at you, and everybody else looks just as awesome/goofy, depending on your perspective.

Totally check out a Zumba instructor (or two, or three!) in your area. a lot of them offer drop-in passes or multiple classes upon sign up at a discounted rate. Other than that, the drop-in rates are usually around $8-12 depending on the coach. also check to see if they offer a first class free. If a few of them do, check them out, remember some of the moves, and throw on some internet radio and boogie away!

Even get your Mom in on dancing around your living room! Make it a bonding time, cook up a good, healthy meal, let your Mom even pick some tunes, and away you dance!
  • analiseknight
    analiseknight Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I got into West Coast swing and a lot of places will let you volunteer in exchange for the classes. The classses are low key and low impact especially for beginners.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Just take a dance class or go to a zumba class. Good time to get over your fear. You'll love it and won't notice any fear there after. Look for drop-in or student rates. Volunteer like previous poster said.

Also, if you have an xbox the dance and zumba games are so much fun. There's dvds you can get for cheap at stores too. Talk to your mom and I'm sure you both can find a block of at least30min for you to dance around.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Does your school offer any fitness/dance classes? My school offers zumba once a week during lunch time and it is very affordable if not occasionally free. Also, the classes are rarely full.
  • millerdelorme
    Options
    I used to feel the same exact way! Then I decided to just let it go and try a Zumba class. I started in the back where no one could see me. Then I realized that absolutely nobody is going to look at you because they're either too busy looking at themselves or trying to follow the instructor. I went from being terrified and embarrassed to loving it! It changed my life. Now I have just become a Zumba instructor! Just give it a quick try! You might surprise yourself. :)
  • zenmonkey760
    zenmonkey760 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dancing is one of my favorite forms of exercise. I am pretty self-conscious about indoor exercise because I sweat a LOT. I'm also not excited about classes because I have 3 left feet and a tail which always gets in the way. However, I've found a great way to get my dance on while feeling comfortable about it. There are weekly events all around the world called something like "Ecstatic Dance" or "Dance Church" or "Five Rhythms". They're non-judgmental, supportive, usually all-ages, family oriented events often held in dance studios. They are attended by everyone from professional dancers to people who just wiggle (like me). People dance by themselves, dance with others, dance in a group, dance with blindfolds on, dance with hoops or other appropriate 'toys'. There's no alcohol and it's not a pickup scene like a club. It's also usually very inexpensive (often on a sliding scale) and there are usually opportunities to volunteer in exchange for entry (Where I live, we have several people who volunteer to set up and clean the dance studio before and after). Obviously, not all the music that gets played is stuff I like, so I volunteer DJ once per month. While it doesn't solve your issue with self-judgement around busting a move in public, it might give you both a place to dance and the opportunity to dance in a welcoming, supportive and non-judgmental environment.

It looks like there's a Facebook group for one of these events in your area: "Conscious Dance Edmonton" https://www.facebook.com/groups/250864087040/.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Kindest regards,
    Gyan.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your advice. I have done Zumba in the past (with a friend) but it's not my kind of "getting-jiggy-with-it" music. Like I said earlier, I am a student, but unfortunately I'm taking my classes on-line so the option of checking out programs offered by my university is kind of "not-gonna-happen". I'll have to keep thinking of options taking into consideration some of your ideas.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I saw in your profile that you work at a jr high, could you maybe arrange to use a room there after hours? You might even find a few co-workers to join in :)
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your advice. I have done Zumba in the past (with a friend) but it's not my kind of "getting-jiggy-with-it" music. Like I said earlier, I am a student, but unfortunately I'm taking my classes on-line so the option of checking out programs offered by my university is kind of "not-gonna-happen". I'll have to keep thinking of options taking into consideration some of your ideas.

There are a huge variety of dance fitness videos on YouTube that are set to different genres of music. It is worth a look if you think Zumba was fun, but the music wasn't great.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just googled belly dance in Edmonton- at least 10.

you can check that out.

If not - try hip hop.
    Try modern- try contemporary. The only way you'll get past feeling like a dope is by doing the thing. trust me it's worth it.

Secondly- I got a gym memebership solo so I had studio space- it was cheaper than renting a studio- I have video's on my youtube channel where you can see I have taken over the aerobics room in off hours. Gotta do what you gotta do for work and getting things done. Gooooo dooooo eeeettttt.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Les Mills Body Jam & to a lesser extent Sh'bam. They are both fun dance + fitness classes. Not sure if they're available in your area but have a look out for them.
  • TaintedVampyre
    Options
    I saw in your profile that you work at a jr high, could you maybe arrange to use a room there after hours? You might even find a few co-workers to join in :)

I have thought of this... They do have a dance studio but.. ya, I'm still trying to figure out the kinks in that idea..
  • TaintedVampyre
    Options
    Sorry all, I never changed my profile location (for personal reasons), I'm not residing in Edmonton anymore otherwise, yes, yes I would probably look further into some of these classes even though I'm trying not to spend money on a membership because there are no "cheap" gyms in this town. You're looking at upwards of $30 CAD per month.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are now, but I know around the Edmonton area gym memberships are more like $45+ :( And most drop in zumba classes etc here start at $8+ per visit, which would add up quickly over a month.
  • TaintedVampyre
    Options
    I'm in Northern Alberta, the average price for a monthly membership is about $57 and usually you have to pay additional for other programs. In Edmonton, depending on your location, you can hit up one of the cheaper gyms hosted by Good Life for about $10-20 a month. Because in Edmonton I would want to be able to go outside more often because there is more to do, so I could justify paying for a monthly membership like that to work on my weight training.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    People aren't really looking at you in class. I take pole fitness/dancing classes, and we're paying too much attention to the instructor and ourselves to bother with anyone else. So just sign up for Zumba and have fun.