Starting at the gym

Options
So today I am starting at the gym. I had wanted to go with a friend, but she can't go, and I feel like this will be a common occurrence. I feel embarrassed to go to the gym alone as I'm an anxious person. Any tips?

Replies

• annalulu23
    annalulu23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be starting at a gym after about 20 years of not going to one. I guess I just have a mindset of "This is about ME, if people look at me or make judgements or whatever, It's their problem." It's hard if you feel anxiety. If it's a good gym, they will have at least one person there who can work with an anxious person. I have found that admitting my anxiety or awkwardness or whatever to the person can disarm them and make them want to help me.

You deserve to be there just as much as any other paying client. If you only go in for 10 minutes and do a quick treadmill walk and then leave, you did it, you broke the seal. Then next time, go a little longer.

• Livingfreetoday
    Livingfreetoday Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just started at the gym. I really know nothing. For me because I am intimidated both by my ignorance and embarrassed at how I look, I chose to get a trainer. I met with him earlier this week for a consultation and then yesterday had my first session. And seriously I was still nervous and almost skipped it. And then I did go and I did really well.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Realize several things: 1) At one point in time, we were all 'new' to the gym, 2) 99% of the people there are NOT paying attention to you, they are wrapped up in their own workouts, and 3) everyone paid their membership, so they have equal rights to all the equipment.

I had a similar moment today at work. I decided that I want to start jogging/running on Tuesdays/Thursdays during my lunch break at work to supplement my M/W/F workouts at the Y. I usually walk during my lunch breaks to get out of the office and get some extra steps on my FitBit. The thought crossed my mind "What will my co-workers think when they see me change in my office and head out in workout clothes? Are the going to think I'm weird? Judge me in some way?" Then I thought "WTF do I care? It's not impacting my work and I'm taking additional steps to become healthier and who cares what they think".
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Lots of other newbies at the gym this time of year, so you've got plenty of company. Ask the staff for a tour if possible; take advantage of a free trainer consult if it's offered. Or just ask questions if someone's standing around. Most people who aren't in the middle of a workout are going to be willing to help out (as with anywhere, there are always a few *kitten*, but that's life). Everyone remembers their first time at the gym -- learning where the heck everything is and how it works it just part of the process.
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wipe down your equipment after you use it. The cardio equipment is all computerized. If you know your way around a copy machine, you'll be able to figure it out. Nobody's ever paid any attention to me, even when I mouth the words to "Roar" as I'm running on the treadmill.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Try going to a group fitness class as part of your gym schedule. Don't worry no one is really paying attention to you at the gym. I may or may not have tripped getting on the stair climber and shouted a word or two. :D It didn't phase anyone.
  • rssdjs
    rssdjs Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks guys! I went for about an hour and of course someone I went to HIGH SCHOOL with works there lol. I remember some of the machines from when I went years ago, but don't know a lot of them that I'm sure I should/want to do. I know it's me being self conscious but I feel like everyone was looking down at me. But I will be going back tomorrow, hopefully a little longer! And thanks again everyone for all your positivity!!! Especially annalulu23 as that was the only one I read before going!
  • kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym for the first time in 20 years on January 6. It was big huge scary. It gets easier everyday. I am starting with what I know and can do. I am doing more everyday and it has actually been fun. I can't believe I said that. I have never in my 40 years said exercise is fun. I go at 5:00 am so it is not very crowded but mostly everyone is just doing there thing. I don't feel like anyone is staring. Before I went I was sure no one wanted the fat girl at the gym but now I see no one cares.
  • annalulu23
    annalulu23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I came back and read the responses. Very inspiring! And thanks for posting that you went, rssdjs! That's the key: to fight that anxiety or fear and just go.
    I'm going on my tour of the gym today and will join when I get my next paycheck.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    rssdjs wrote: »
    I know it's me being self conscious but I feel like everyone was looking down at me. But I will be going back tomorrow, hopefully a little longer!

Great job! And, trust me, everyone's wrapped in their own little world at the gym...they only time they'll notice you is if you're on a piece of equipment they want to use :smiley:
  • icedreamer
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you but my sister ( at her gym almost every day) told me that it may seem like people are watching you but in reality they arnt. No one is really paying attention to you. They will how ever make sure you don't drop a bar on yourself though. I've been at my new gym for two weeks now an I've learned to just listen to my music and if somone smiles I smile back
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    There's something called the false spotlight effect where people think that others are paying more attention to them than they actually are. The vast majority of people in gym don't care about other people around them or what they're doing, and the way I look at it, if someone does have a disparaging opinion about me, it makes absolutely zero difference to my life.