When to Eat Carbs?

Options
I had a friend trainer do a eating plan for me, while I was on vacation. I have opened up my diary so you can look. She recommends that I eat carbs at night - two cups of sweet potato, white potato, brown rice or whole wheat bread. My former trainer says no - eat at lunch and no starch carbs at night. My current schedule is that I do weights 3 days a week and eat a smoothie half hour before that. I usually do some light cardio and stretching after. Then a protein shake (30g). I've been doing my meals about 4 hours apart. If I have time, I do try to do a second set of cardio at night for 45 minutes - at least twice a week. Three times a week, I do fasted cardio in the morning.

Please give me your advise. I am looking to lose about 50 pounds but want to maintain muscle mass.
Many thanks.

Replies

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A: Eat them whenever. It doesn't really matter.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

This man speaketh the truth. Listen to him.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    The ONLY reason I can think of to restrict your carbs to earlier in the day is if you like to weigh yourself in the morning and worry about daily weight fluctuations. Carbs cause you to retain a little water so the closer you eat them to weighing time the more water you will be weighing. It has NOTHING to do with storing excess fat or any other weird reasons people come up with for timing of carbs.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Depends. If they're looking to utilize insulin for an anabolic purpose, carbohydrates in the periworkout period would likely be more effective than carbohydrates eaten at other parts of the day.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Don't eat carbs while you are sleeping...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    mrmagee3 wrote: »

Depends. If they're looking to utilize insulin for an anabolic purpose, carbohydrates in the periworkout period would likely be more effective than carbohydrates eaten at other parts of the day.

For someone needing to lose 50lbs, that's irrelevant.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    mrmagee3 wrote: »

If you're lean and an athlete. For most folk it won't make much, if any, difference.

That's fair - I kind of realized it was a nit as I was typing it out, but, he asked, so I figured a little precision couldn't hurt. :smiley:
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The woman who leads the fitness classes that I attend (and who lifts heavy, competes, and a big chunk of her life is focused on fitness, and who is working on her masters in exercise physiology and nutrition - so I tend to consider the advice that she gives) has told us that the best time to eat carbs is right around workout time. Calorie for calorie, it is what it is for weight loss, but for my energy level, I do feel better if I throw a banana in my smoothie, or increase my carbs a little after an intense workout. Just my 2cents - I'm no pro - but I thought I'd share!
    Good luck on your journey!
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    The best time to eat carbs is breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks all
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    Don't eat carbs while you are sleeping...
    i really love this answer. i once purchased a hair dryer that had a tag attached which read, "do not use while sleeping"