3+ Weeks, no cheats, no days over, gained 2 lbs

Options
So, yeah, pretty much the subject line. I've been at this for 6 months, and this is the second time in my journey I've had this happen.

I was at 220-222 for a month straight about 3 months ago and then suddenly lost weight again. It seems like that same thing is happening again now.

My current best weigh in was almost 3 weeks ago at 209.6, and since then I've not once been below 210.6. Today I'm at 211.7. I've not cheated once, I've eaten right at or under goal, counting exercise every day. I never eat more than about 2000 calories a day, even if I do work out a lot. I have a Fitbit Charge HR that tracks activity.

I measure foods, eat vegan and work out lightly, but regularly.

What the hell man. My profile is open. Advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    1) Do you measure foods or do you weigh them?
    2) How tall are you? How did you calculate your daily calorie goal?
    3) You eat quite a bit of sodium, which is likely causing these few-pound fluctuations. Would you consider reducing that by eating more whole, home-prepared foods instead of prepackaged and takeaway?
  • rspoelstra
    rspoelstra Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    1) Do you measure foods or do you weigh them?
    2) How tall are you? How did you calculate your daily calorie goal?
    3) You eat quite a bit of sodium, which is likely causing these few-pound fluctuations. Would you consider reducing that by eating more whole, home-prepared foods instead of prepackaged and takeaway?

I do agree with number 3, it might be worth while to see if you can keep your sodium intake below the recommended daily intake for a week or two, and see what happens.

I agree with the other 2 as well, but the sodium intake is what stood out for me.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Every body is different, so I don't want to sound like a diet newb who believes it's *all* about water weight. That said, when my weight goes up like that, it's usually because I'm having too much sodium and/or not drinking enough fluid, even if I am exercising and eating alright. As soon as I get back on the 8-or-more-cups-a-day train, I lose the weight I gained plus another pound or two. But I'm also in the very beginning of my journey and haven't seen much result just yet, so my two cents should be taken with a spoonful of salt.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Whooooooooooooooosh. Start weighing your foods if you're not already, but three weeks and no loss can still happen if you're on point. Recalculate your goals at your current weight if you haven't already.
  • smithersshorty
    Options
    Are you eating enough lean protein? It's tough to get that when eating vegan and if you aren't getting protein to build lean muscle then you won't have muscle to burn fat when you aren't excersicing (the other 23 hour of the day :P) Just a thought.
  • khelwig
    khelwig Posts: 15
    Options
    Sometimes when you think you are eating healthy, you actually are not. Noticing your food diary, I see you do not eat breakfast. Bad idea. I also see that you eat almost 700 calories for lunch, dinner, and snacks. Try spreading out your food intake and instead of eating 700 calories for lunch, have 300 calories for breakfast, have a 300 calorie snack mid morning, 300 calories for lunch, 300 calorie snack mid afternoon, and have a 300 calories for dinner. Your body will metabolize the calories much more efficiently if you spread out your calories. This also gives you some calories to bank if you want a snack at night or want to add a few calories to your meals during the day. Also, drink water. If you weight 200 pounds, you should at least drink 100 ounces of water. It can help counteract the sodium intake as well. One last tip - increase your protein. A lot. Eating protein not only helps build muscle after workouts, it is a better source of calories and keeps you fuller for a longer period of time. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    It's not true that you need to eat at certain times to lose weight or make your metabolism run "efficiently." Your metabolism is always running. If skipping breakfast helps you achieve your calorie goals for the day, doesn't leave you hungry or icky-feeling, and isn't causing you to undereat, you just do you!
  • MichelleS08
    MichelleS08 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein for sure.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    khelwig wrote: »
    Sometimes when you think you are eating healthy, you actually are not. Noticing your food diary, I see you do not eat breakfast. Bad idea. I also see that you eat almost 700 calories for lunch, dinner, and snacks. Try spreading out your food intake and instead of eating 700 calories for lunch, have 300 calories for breakfast, have a 300 calorie snack mid morning, 300 calories for lunch, 300 calorie snack mid afternoon, and have a 300 calories for dinner. Your body will metabolize the calories much more efficiently if you spread out your calories. This also gives you some calories to bank if you want a snack at night or want to add a few calories to your meals during the day. Also, drink water. If you weight 200 pounds, you should at least drink 100 ounces of water. It can help counteract the sodium intake as well. One last tip - increase your protein. A lot. Eating protein not only helps build muscle after workouts, it is a better source of calories and keeps you fuller for a longer period of time. Hope this helps and good luck!

You don't have to eat breakfast to lose weight.

OP, I agree with everyone about the food scale.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Dat der non linear weight loss.

Yep

It's normal to stall, fluctuate then drop

See...kmsazn9q8fsi.jpg
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you're measuring foods, its possible that your margin of error is juuust enough to put you at maintenance, rather than a deficit. Weighing is more reliable than volume measurements due to fluctuations in air content, size of items, etc. It's worth thinking about. The closer you get to your goals, the less wiggle room you'll have with calories, so every bit of accuracy counts!

I find the biggest fluctuations in my weight come from sodium content and when I weigh during the day. If I had a lot of sodium the day prior, I'm likely to see a 2-3 lb fluctuation in weight. That weight will quickly drop off in a couple days, and I'll usually see an all-time low if I commit to keeping the sodium down. When I weigh also contributes. I used to weigh first thing in the morning as that's what others recommended. However, I do intermittent fasting and eat all of my food later in the day. As a result, I haven't been fasting as long as most people by the time I wake up, and most of that food is still in my system. After some experimenting with multiple weigh-ins each day, I found my lowest weight tends to be right after I get home from work, so that's when I weigh in now.

Last suggestion is to consider taking measurements. If you're also working out, you may have some slight increase in muscle mass, especially since it seems like you're eating close to or possibly just over your maintenance.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Looks like a lot of packaged/processed foods as well, which tend to be high in sodium. You might just be seeing some more dramatic water weight fluctuations.
  • bteeter2
    bteeter2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. A couple answers to questions:

1) I work and sleep odd hours. I go to bed at like 3-5am, get up between 9-11am depending on the day. I am not hungry in the morning. It usually takes me a couple hours before I can eat something. I've always been this way, don't know why. Often times I won't eat anything until 1 or 2pm. Today for example I just ate for the first time and its 2:30pm. My usual pattern is to eat 2 bigger meals, and then snacks as needed.

2) Sodium. Yeah, guilty, I love salt and salty foods. I will try to cut down.

3) Packaged / take out - I try to avoid it, but when I do eat it I try to eat a healthy option. I'm on the road a lot so I cannot really always eat perfectly.

4) Also, regarding my weight chart, I pretty much don't log weight unless I lose something, so that's why there are so many odd plateaus.

Thanks - Brian

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Yeah one thing I've noticed is that I'm pretty sensitive to sodium intake - if I ate the levels of sodium I see in your diary I'd be pretty puffy.... :smile:
    Worth taking a serious look at.
  • bteeter2
    Options
    Hmmm. OK, so consensus seems to be it might be sodium. I can try to cut down for sure as much as possible.

Also, for context, I know I didn't mention before but I'm 6'2" and 38.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sounds to me like you're eating pretty close to maintenance. That could be due to inaccurate measuring of food or just the fact that you've lost some already and your BMR has dropped. Have you tried lowering your calorie intake a little?
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Interesting video you might enjoy. If your not into the sciency stuff just watch the last 30.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y
  • bteeter2
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you're eating pretty close to maintenance. That could be due to inaccurate measuring of food or just the fact that you've lost some already and your BMR has dropped. Have you tried lowering your calorie intake a little?

I did yeah, I just had MFP recalculate a couple days ago and now my recommended is 1720. Previously I was at 1800 and before that 1900.

Most days even with exercise I only eat at most 1900. I never eat back all my calories.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind the formulas used to calculate those numbers is an average and everyone is different. It's possible your metabolism is a bit lower than average. I'd suggest going a little lower or not eating back any exercise calories for a week or two and see what happens.
  • bteeter2
    Options
    Well, I have a hard time believing that at 6'2" light/moderate activity I should be at less than 1720 per day but its possible.

I tried cutting out salt completely yesterday. I also stuck right to my calories strictly, worked out and still up another 0.25 lb today. I've gone up about 0.25 lbs or steyed the same every day this week. I'm now at 211.8, which is where I was a month ago.

I feel like I need to do something drastic to break the plateau I just don't know what.