Day By Day

Options
ajl83
ajl83 Posts: 6 Member
Not sure quite how to do this. Just looking to start somewhere and maybe have a friend to do it with.

Replies

• alyci
    alyci Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It really is just one day at a time. Track the calories for that day and try to get in some exercise. In time you will start seeing the results of your work.
  • ajl83
    Options
    Thanks!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Start out by simply tracking every single thing you eat and drink. That includes nibbles from your kid's plate, sticks of gum, vitamins, everything. Getting into that habit is really the most important thing you can do because, unless you have an underlying medical issue, weight loss is only about calories out minus calories in. If you eat less calories than your body burns every day you will lose weight.

Underestimate calories burned from exercise, overestimate calories eaten if you aren't absolutely certain. The only person you're hurting if you try to find the lowest calorie amount for a food entry is you.

If you don't have one, invest in a kitchen scale. Weighing your food is the most accurate method to be sure of the calories you're eating. Measuring cups work for liquids but most foods should be weighed, even things like peanut butter and salad dressing. And when you weigh them you don't dirty extra utensils!

Babysteps. Many people become overwhelmed and quit because they completely change the way their eating and spend two hours doing cardio at the gym they just joined. You don't need to eat differently, just eat less calories. You don't need a gym membership, either. Instead, make small changes and take time to make them a habit. Add new changes when you're ready. These can be things as simple as replacing high calorie drinks with unsweetened tea or water. Swapping a side of fries for a salad with low calorie dressing. Parking at the back of the parking lot. Taking a walk during your lunch break. Climbing the stairs instead of riding the elevator.

If you find yourself getting overwhelmed, take a step back and reevaluate. You want the changes you're making to be for life so if you're doing something you hate, find something you like instead. It took me a long time to get started because I wanted to find an activity that I liked. Strangely enough that eventually turned out to be running and weight lifting the two things I told myself I didn't want to do.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Start out by simply tracking every single thing you eat and drink. That includes nibbles from your kid's plate, sticks of gum, vitamins, everything. Getting into that habit is really the most important thing you can do because, unless you have an underlying medical issue, weight loss is only about calories out minus calories in. If you eat less calories than your body burns every day you will lose weight.

Underestimate calories burned from exercise, overestimate calories eaten if you aren't absolutely certain. The only person you're hurting if you try to find the lowest calorie amount for a food entry is you.

If you don't have one, invest in a kitchen scale. Weighing your food is the most accurate method to be sure of the calories you're eating. Measuring cups work for liquids but most foods should be weighed, even things like peanut butter and salad dressing. And when you weigh them you don't dirty extra utensils!

Babysteps. Many people become overwhelmed and quit because they completely change the way their eating and spend two hours doing cardio at the gym they just joined. You don't need to eat differently, just eat less calories. You don't need a gym membership, either. Instead, make small changes and take time to make them a habit. Add new changes when you're ready. These can be things as simple as replacing high calorie drinks with unsweetened tea or water. Swapping a side of fries for a salad with low calorie dressing. Parking at the back of the parking lot. Taking a walk during your lunch break. Climbing the stairs instead of riding the elevator.

If you find yourself getting overwhelmed, take a step back and reevaluate. You want the changes you're making to be for life so if you're doing something you hate, find something you like instead. It took me a long time to get started because I wanted to find an activity that I liked. Strangely enough that eventually turned out to be running and weight lifting the two things I told myself I didn't want to do.

+1

Also a specific goal would help guide your efforts - try here: iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • kaj0264
    kaj0264 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am looking for a diet buddy as well! I need someone to hold me accountable... How much are you looking to lose? How active are you?
  • ajl83
    Options
    Hi kaj0264! I am very lightly active. I'll try and get out to walk around mall or shovel the driveway. But have a 4 year old and a baby so that paints a pic of how active I am. I would like to lose 40lbs and see where I go from there. You??
  • ajl83
    Options
    Hi everyone! So today is my third day into it. Naturally, I have lots of questions. One of them is; if I have x amount of calories, does it matter so much WHEN I use them? I'm a busy mom and sometimes it's hard to commit to sitting down and eating at the proper meal times. What if dinner is a little late, or I don't get to lunch? I know to try and avoid eating at night but if I have an alloted amount of calories, will it make a difference if I'm eating my "meals" at meal time or just sticking to counting my calories?
  • SueInAz
    Options
    ajl83 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! So today is my third day into it. Naturally, I have lots of questions. One of them is; if I have x amount of calories, does it matter so much WHEN I use them? I'm a busy mom and sometimes it's hard to commit to sitting down and eating at the proper meal times. What if dinner is a little late, or I don't get to lunch? I know to try and avoid eating at night but if I have an alloted amount of calories, will it make a difference if I'm eating my "meals" at meal time or just sticking to counting my calories?

No, when you eat has no bearing on weight loss as long as you are staying within your calorie goal. The only thing to be careful about is that you aren't letting yourself get so hungry that you overeat or binge once you finally do eat.
  • ajl83
    Options
    Ok, thanks. My next question is... I'm breastfeeding as well. I know that I need extra calories to account for that. How do I go about adding those?? Also, I know that you have to count all calories, but is every vegetable that important?? My mom is on Jenny Craig and I know that it's only really portion control and she is allowed to eat veggies as much as she wants. She has been eating TONS of veggies and sticking to her meal plan and is still losing weight at a good rate.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Ok, thanks. My next question is... I'm breastfeeding as well. I know that I need extra calories to account for that. How do I go about adding those?? Also, I know that you have to count all calories, but is every vegetable that important?? My mom is on Jenny Craig and I know that it's only really portion control and she is allowed to eat veggies as much as she wants. She has been eating TONS of veggies and sticking to her meal plan and is still losing weight at a good rate.

If you do a little looking around you can probably find a good average for the extra calories burned for breastfeeding. I believe it's 600 calories per day but do your own research because there may be factors that need to be taken into account beyond a simple number.

MFP is a calorie counting plan. Veggies have calories, even if not a lot of them individually. But if you're eating enough of them every day they do add up. And if you're eating up to your calorie goal every day, but not counting veggies, your calorie deficit isn't going to be as large as you think it is. Veggies also have vitamins and minerals which MFP also tracks (Vitamins A and C, calcium and iron). If you're worried about getting enough of those nutrients, and you probably should since you're breastfeeding, logging your veggies becomes that much more important.

It's your choice, of course, but MFP's way of tracking is not the same as Jenny Craig's. If you decide not to log veggies you'll want to leave yourself extra calories each day to compensate for what you ate but didn't log.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I am BF as well, I created an exercize for 20 calories per oz which is average what you burn. This has worked out really well for me, MFP has helped meals sure I get enough to eat. I log everyday.

Feel free to add me!
  • Cinderella_82
    Cinderella_82 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    kaj0264 wrote: »
    Hi! I am looking for a diet buddy as well! I need someone to hold me accountable... How much are you looking to lose? How active are you?
    Hi Kai, feel free to add me :-) I'm looking for some more motivated friends.
    I try to loose 20 lbs with a low fat diet and try to get more shaped.
  • ajl83
    Options
    How are people doing with this? I'm finding it harder in the second week. I feel that I'm almost scared to eat. I'm coming in under my calorie goal but that's because I'm being really careful with my calories. I get hungry, go to the cupboard/fridge and automatically look at the calories. If it's 100 or more (which most food is), I put it down and stay hungry until a meal. I know it's okay to eat and eat the right stuff but am finding it difficult. Any tips or motivation? What does everyone else do? What are some good snacks? TIA!
  • SueInAz
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you feel you aren't getting enough food and are hungry before you should be then there are a few different things you can do.
    1. Lower your weekly weight loss goal. If you're shooting for two pounds per week, that may be too aggressive for you. Change it to 1.5 or 1.0 pounds and see how that works for you. It's more important that you stick with your plan than that you lose the weight quickly. You're more likely to keep it off if you're eating now the way you plan to in the future.
    2. Exercise a little more. More cardio will burn calories and give you more calories to eat each day. Just be careful that you aren't causing yourself to get a lot more hungry, too. There's no real need to spend two hours in the gym every day and the calories "earned" won't compensate for the extra hunger long sessions can create. You can earn a few more calories by simply walking.
    3. Eat less calories at meal time and eat more snacks. Many people find that when first starting a weight loss plan that it's easier to eat 5 or 6 smaller "meals" each day than three big ones and a tiny snack or two. I personally prefer a 200 calorie breakfast, a 300 calorie lunch and a 300-400 calorie dinner. That leaves me more calories for a mid-day snack or two and an evening one, as well.

Some great snacks are clementines (Cuties or Halos) at 40 calories or so each. Cheese sticks which are 60 to 80 calories each depending on brand. Celery sticks and peanut butter. Laughing Cow light cheese and crackers. Hummus and cut veggies. Plain, non-fat Greek yogurt with berries and Splenda (or agave syrup, if you'd rather).