IN NEED: Gluten Free Advice

Options
2»

Replies

• theoryofempire
    Options
    I was diagnosed Celiac late 2012 early 2013. It's been really hard finding the right things to eat because a lot of gluten free products are a *kitten* storm of chemicals.

Hummus is one of my go tos. They also sell fresh carrot "chips" (carrots cut into the round circles) that are a must.

I've learned to replace pancakes with almond meal. The prepackaged mixes have so much junk in them.

there is also a thing called shiritaki noodles.Typically found with the tofu. It's yam root, low csrb, gluten free, and guilt free noodles. A must if you find yourself missing pasta. And at 10 calories a serving, you can't complain.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you have an aldi near you - their gluten free line is pretty cheap and I have never been disappointed with one of their products!
  • ly1967
    ly1967 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    fittocycle wrote: »
    You are welcome to send me a friend request. I'm gluten free and tend to eat more whole foods too. I decided to give up gluten to migraines. It seems to have make a huge difference for me. :)

• ly1967
    ly1967 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in need of more gluten free friends for support
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten-free, and have been for 4 years now. I'd always had joint pain--especially in my hips--and it got worse after I had my first baby. After switching to gluten-free diet, I very rarely have any hip/joint pain at all. It can be overwhelming at first, but you'll settle into a new eating pattern and eventually it won't require so much mental effort. :smile: I don't do a lot of gluten-free replacement products, but they're nice on occasion (i.e. birthday cakes, the occasional slice of pizza, etc). In and of themselves, they're not going to cause you to gain weight, as long as you budget them into your diet, just as with anything else. I lost 70lbs after having my first, while eating gluten-free, and have lost 30lbs so far after my second. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. Good luck!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as for snacks: I like nuts, hummus and chips or veggies, granola bars (just read the ingredients), popcorn (again, read ingredients), ice cream...I'm sure there's more.
  • KaylaB401
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This is all so helpful. :#
  • KaylaB401
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    KaylaB401 wrote: »
    wkwebby wrote: »
    With arthritis, I'd be careful of the dairy. Just like gluten, dairy will get your inflammatory response going, and I'm sure that you wouldn't want that. Look into the anti-inflammatory diets, or go Paleo (which would fit into GF as well).
    - Thanks! Yes, I have read a lot about dairy. Fingers crossed I will be ok to eat it because I am obsessed with cheese. Thanks!

Fruit and raw vegetables are good snacks. Dip them in hummus or peanut butter to make them more filling.

Boiled eggs or deviled eggs (if you want to avoid mayo, make the deviled eggs with hummus or avocado)

Nuts, edamame, seeds, roasted chickpeas, dry roasted beans

Kasha, rice or quinoa salad.

Cheese.
    - SO helpful, thank you! I love deviled eggs. I really enjoy "Just Mayo", it's veggie based. Have you tried it? I actually prefer it over reg mayo now.

Read the labels on the hummus or anything else in a package.
    A blogger I follow notes on her simple soup recipes to check the label on broth since gluten could be in it. Same with shredded cheeses

If you'd rather make your own hummus, here's a recipe:
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/01/ethereally-smooth-hummus/
    I haven't made this recipe but I've had very good luck with her recipes.
    - Love the hummus recipe, 603. I am a fan of smitten kitchen and have been in need of a nice hummus recipe. Never made it! Thank you. :)