Gym

Options
How long do people use the gym for a day/ how many times a week? And find it's helping? Much love

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym for the sole purpose of lifting weight. I lift 3x weekly for about an hour per session give or take.

Getting in regular exercise is good...you don't have to go to a gym to exercise though.
  • cathie93
    cathie93 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you, I know but it's the only place I feel confortable doing it
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I typically go for 3 strength training sessions (30mins - 1 hour depending, right now i'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program) and 2 cardio days (30mins Les Mills Body Combat and 30 mins of Les Mills CXWORX)
    -
    But it all depends on what you want, but I started getting the results I wanted when I started mixing cardio and strength training
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I had the best results mixing both cardio and lifting (beginning i only did resistance training with body weight).

This was 3x a week and was usually 20-30 minutes lifting followed by 20-30 minutes of HIIT style cardio.

Every now and then i would hit up the gym for 30-45 minutes of cardio if i really wanted some extra calories to eat or i was going out for dinner. :)
  • cathie93
    Options
    Okay thank you, I don't want to be going and it not helping, I've been doing an hour cardio everyday, is this too much?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    cathie93 wrote: »
    Okay thank you, I don't want to be going and it not helping, I've been doing an hour cardio everyday, is this too much?

Are you just trying to lose weight?

I'd say it's significantly more important that your diet is in check and you are 100% accurate in logging. You may very well be undoing all your hard work in the gym if your calories aren't right.

I dont think an hour of cardio is too much, but you will probably see better results if you include resistance training.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Every day cardio is too much. Even people who train for marathons have rest days. Your muscles need time to repair themselves. If you find that you hit a wall with weight loss though, try mixing things up. My trainer hates that I will run for an hour on lunch. He says that it will lessen your muscles (for weight training). It gives me an excuse to decrease cardio time and increase other exercise time.

I try to workout 5 days a week at lunch hour (40 good exercise minutes and then 15 min shower after 5 min stretching). Weight training is 2-3 days per week, and ever other day not weight training is 20 min steady state cardio and 10-20 min high intensity type training. I do no gym exercises on weekend. :D

If I only get 4 days in during the weekdays, I try to get a day in on the weekend.

I have two cheap gym memberships for one close to work and one close to home.
  • cathie93
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I'd say it's significantly more important that your diet is in check and you are 100% accurate in logging. You may very well be undoing all your hard work in the gym if your calories aren't right.

I dont think an hour of cardio is too much, but you will probably see better results if you include resistance training.

Yeah I am trying to lose weight, what's resistance training? Thanks
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Resistance training would be training with weights (dumbbells, body weight, or barbells). This could start with push ups, squats, pull ups or with dumbbells. You should try to keep as much lean muscle you have so that in the long run your weight stays off.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Yeah I am trying to lose weight, what's resistance training? Thanks

Resistance training is anything that conditions the strength, endurance, growth, or size of your muscles.

Some good examples would be squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows, etc.

I'd suggest you start off with a beginner program using body weight and work your way up. Fitness Blender, Jillian michael's 30 day shred, or "You Are Your Own Gym". These are all available for free on youtube.
  • just_another_day
    just_another_day Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Resistance training is lifting weights. Body weight exercises (squats, lunges, etc) also count. I go to the gym 5 times a week. I resistance train 3 days, and take yoga and Zumba classes the other two. I've found weightlifting to have the biggest positive impact on the shape and composition of my body, as well as how I feel about myself. I recommend doing whatever workouts you think you'll stick with because being in it for the long haul is so important.