Lifting WITHOUT broad shoulders

Options
berrydana7
berrydana7 Posts: 78 Member
edited January 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! i've been heavy lifting with an upper/lower split for over a year now and have of course, gained muscle and strength. My shoulders grew broader and bigger, which I was not too fond of so i stopped doing upper body training and shifted my focus to glute training and cardio. My shoulders did shrink, just slightly when i stopped training them every week but I would like them to be just a little bit smaller. Anyway, I am now getting back into training my upper body since while i don't want broad shoulders, I do want some nice back and arm muscles. I am worried that my shoulders will broaden again, so i will not be doing exercises that specifically target the shoulders like overhead press, shrugs, deltoid raises. My upper body days will comprise mainly of back and arm specific exercises like lat pulldowns, pull ups, rows, renegade rows, bicep curls, tricep push ups. What I'm worried about is that the back exercises like lat pulldowns, rows, pull ups are compound exercises, meaning that my shoulder muscles will be used in the movement and as a result, my shoulders might get bigger, which is what I want to avoid. Should I just not do upper body exercises or should I do higher reps? I want a toned upper body WITHOUT broad shoulders. Help would be appreciated :):)

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Huh?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring? If not it could all be in your head.
  • msamyg
    msamyg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would do as you have said, yes - there are some compound exercises here - but I think the size gain will be minimal so long as you aren't specifically focusing on shoulders or eating to gain muscle.

Looking at your picture though - for what it is worth - your shoulders aren't that big. Good luck :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why do you not like slightly broader shoulders? Especially since you seem to like the muscular look in general. This is like wanting muscular legs but a flat butt.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Muscles only get bulky in a calorie surplus, so the problem (if you want to call it a problem) is your diet, not your exercises.

To answer your question, pushing exercises use the shoulders more than pulling. So limit the tricep pushups and similar stuff. Pulling exercises ("back") don't work the shoulders much.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, dear. I really don't think you have to worry about "too big" anything. You are tiny.
  • berrydana7
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

No i'm not measuring but you could be right in that it's in my head. But im sure my shoulders have grown because they look bigger in tank tops and t shirts etc.
  • berrydana7
    Options
    msamyg wrote: »
    If it were me, I would do as you have said, yes - there are some compound exercises here - but I think the size gain will be minimal so long as you aren't specifically focusing on shoulders or eating to gain muscle.

Looking at your picture though - for what it is worth - your shoulders aren't that big. Good luck :)

thank you :) I will continue with my routine then :D
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Your shoulders won't be as big as you think they are. I think mine are huge and broad but no one else sees it unless I'm trying to show them off.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    berrydana7 wrote: »

No i'm not measuring but you could be right in that it's in my head. But im sure my shoulders have grown because they look bigger in tank tops and t shirts etc.

Most of the time our muscles look bigger when the fat around them disappears. Might want to start measuring.
  • berrydana7
    Options
    Why do you not like slightly broader shoulders? Especially since you seem to like the muscular look in general. This is like wanting muscular legs but a flat butt.

I guess it's just a personal preference :)
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Oh, dear. I really don't think you have to worry about "too big" anything. You are tiny.

Agree. You look fairly petite in your photos.

• berrydana7
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Muscles only get bulky in a calorie surplus, so the problem (if you want to call it a problem) is your diet, not your exercises.

To answer your question, pushing exercises use the shoulders more than pulling. So limit the tricep pushups and similar stuff. Pulling exercises ("back") don't work the shoulders much.

mmm understood but the thing is, i love doing tricep push ups since they place more emphasis on the triceps :D
  • berrydana7
    Options

haha thank you
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You crazy girl. I love my broad shoulders, they're my best feature. Love wearing tops to show them off. Though suit shopping sucks, cuz it's hard to find jackets that fit right and I usually have to buy jackets a size or two too big.
  • berrydana7
    Options
    Your shoulders won't be as big as you think they are. I think mine are huge and broad but no one else sees it unless I'm trying to show them off.

Yeah they aren't as big now as they were before since I stopped doing upper body training, increased cardio etc. but now that i'm getting back into upper body training, I am worried they might grow bigger
  • berrydana7
    Options

Most of the time our muscles look bigger when the fat around them disappears. Might want to start measuring.

hmm alright, i think i'll still focus on back and arm specific exercises :)
  • berrydana7
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

haha yeah that's due to limited upper body training though :o
  • berrydana7
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »
    You crazy girl. I love my broad shoulders, they're my best feature. Love wearing tops to show them off. Though suit shopping sucks, cuz it's hard to find jackets that fit right and I usually have to buy jackets a size or two too big.

haha I'm glad you like them! :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

haha yeah that's due to limited upper body training though :o

I doubt it. You aren't building muscle unless you are eating in a surplus. Are you? Otherwise you are sculpting what you have, not really making it bigger.