Going Gluten Free... Tips?

Options
I recently found out that I have Celiac Disease and it is causing severe anemia. One way to correct this is living a gluten free life style.

What are some must have gluten free snacks and meals?

Replies

• Blackcherry157
    Options
    Meat, vegetables and fruit are all gluten free. Potatoes and corn. Just read labels. You'll be surprised where gluten lurks! The pre-packaged gluten free baked goods are high in sugar and not the best choices. I've been GF for over 15 years. It gets easier. There are a lot of naturally GF foods, and now there are a lot of labelled GF foods to help you also. Good luck on your journey. You'll feel better soon!
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I know that I will spend my next shopping trip reading every single ingredient. I will probably be in the store for 3 hours :)
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Rice can be another starch that is safely GF.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    We made that change when my Dad was diagnosed. Be sure to read all labels. Some brands of soy sauce have wheat others don't, it is the same with most sauces and dressings. Many soups are gluten free (but check by brand and flavor, around me Progresso is usually good but Campbell's has wheat listed in everything) There is prepackaged gluten free bread or you can make your own, but store it in the freezer because it tends to go bad quickly. A lot of the time my Dad just eats the cold cuts or orders a sandwich without the roll - even cheesesteaks. For snacks fruits and veggies are always good and healthy. (potato chips and corn chips are gluten free - but that won't help if you are looking for healthy. ;) ) We eat a lot of rice now; anything can go with rice.
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What do you usually eat? I'll give you some tips based on the foods you already like.
    Feel free to friend me, I'm celiac, too.
  • auntchellebelle
    Options
    I like white bread, white pasta, cake, cookies, haha! Everything I can't eat. I love steak and chicken. I read that you can use sauces and marinades so I am not sure how to season stuff now.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I have been gluten free for almost 3 years now and it does get easier. If you are looking for bread products the best I have found is Udi's brand. Chex corn and rice cereal is gluten free also and as for pasta I have found Catelli's gluten free to be closest to regular pasta (I can even trick my family with that one
  • Jacqadactle
    Options
    I really like Canyon Bakehouse bread (my favorite is the "rye" bread - I swear it tastes like the real thing). Also, try corn pasta. Imo it holds up and doesn't get mushy like other brands. And it's cheaper. Glutino has some decent cookies, and Betty Crocker mixes are good too!
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Also check cosmetics and shampoos and body washes. I was getting puffy eyes and rashes and feeling like garbage before realizing my mascara had wheat protein in it. Whoops!

And as for recipes, Pinterest is awesome. Found a lot of recipes that I make again and again there
  • Jacqadactle
    Options
    Oh you can use sauces and marinades, just check that they're gluten free first. If it doesn't specify, call the company or Google it (a lot of times someone has already posted it). My mom uses salad dressing as marinade all the time too.
  • auntchellebelle
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone.
  • lemmyhead
    lemmyhead Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Also, when you're eating at restaurants/bars/cafes, never assume it's gluten free! I've been caught out by many things ... the most surprising was hot fries at a bar ... turned out they had a delicious and invisible flavoured coating that was wheat based. And if in doubt ... just don't eat it :-(
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I know that I will spend my next shopping trip reading every single ingredient. I will probably be in the store for 3 hours :)

Hi, I have Ciliacs too and if you have a smartphone there are 2 very good Apps that you can download that will scan the barcode of the products that you want to buy for Gluten so you don't have to spend that much time in the store. I use "ShopWell" and "Fooducate". Both of these apps have been a real time saver for my shopping trips.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    San-J and VH are all certified gluten free Asian sauces that are great and will dress up anything. They are available at all grocery stores and not overly expensive either. You could join us on the Gluten Free MFP group if you like.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I like white bread, white pasta, cake, cookies, haha! Everything I can't eat. I love steak and chicken. I read that you can use sauces and marinades so I am not sure how to season stuff now.

If you like bread, try Udi's Gluten Free bread. They are very good and have a large variety. I usually get their Multigrain bread but there are others as well. You can find them in the freezer section at your grocery stores.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that I have Celiac Disease and it is causing severe anemia. One way to correct this is living a gluten free life style.

What are some must have gluten free snacks and meals?

There really isn't much to suggest, outside of being really careful to get into the habit of reading labels/knowing what to look for, and learning what products you like/don't like. Just like with any other food group, it's a case of trial and error to figure out what you like/don't like. :)

It's really hard to suggest things if you aren't specific about what you need to replace since a lot of food is becoming gluten free these days, and it's about your preference. There is also a lot of variance depending on where you are! I've had a lot of Eatrageous, Amy's Annie's, Udi's, Van's, Nature's Path, Cascadian Farms, and a few others i can't think of off the top of my head. Whenever i've accidentally consumed gluten (or had any tummy trouble really) Good Belly has been of a huge help. They have a few gluten free products but not all of them are.

Make sure you're getting your vitamins, as bread tends to be fortified with vitamins! And be wary of everything - as little as 50ppm of gluten is enough to evoke a reaction (a slice of bread has a ton ton TON more ppm than that), so you have to ensure everything you're having is gluten free. You can't assume anything - even if you're having straight up black coffee, ask to see the package or go onto the website. Unless it's been certified gluten-free it's risky to consume!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Meat, vegetables, and fruits are naturally gluten free.

Most nuts and seeds are as well (unless they are flavored… then you'll have to check the label).

For gluten free bread, I recommend Udi's.

Aldi's and Walmart have a great selection of gluten free food items.

I love Bob's Red Mill gluten free products. They are decently priced.

Make-up, shampoo/conditioner, lotion, etc. can contain gluten so check your toiletries.

• auntchellebelle
    Options
    The makeup deal was a shock to me. I will have to be very careful. The app thing is good, I will have to download one. Thanks again.
  • xzlostzx
    Options
    Rudi's Gluten Free Bread is hands down better than Udi's, in my opinion. But I enjoy both of them much more than other gluten free breads. If you have a Whole Foods or New Seasons Market near you, they usually have tons of gluten free stuff to choose from. And the first few months are always the hardest when switching from gluten full to gluten free.