Meatless main dishes?

Options
2»

Replies

• megia3
    megia3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    odladana wrote: »
    I just tried Tofurkey crumbles with chorizo flavoring. Made tacos with it. Honestly, couldn't tell the difference in texture.

This stuff is awesome. Not all grocery stores carry it though, so I do a little happy dance when I find it in stock. :smiley:
  • tanyajeniece
    tanyajeniece Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Parmesan :)
  • jaystepper4life
    Options
    I love meat but my creamy kale spaghetti squash is my favorite. It's actually a hungry girl recipe but she puts chicken in it, sometimes substitute with shrimp or just meatless either way it's awesome I eat it almost every week
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Spinach quiche. I made mine with a box of frozen spinach, a cup of cottage cheese, 2 eggs all mixed up. Put in oven dish and sprinkle some parm or chedder on top and bake until done.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I've been making this weekly and freezing in individual portions for my work lunches. I use green enchilada sauce instead, just because I prefer it to red. It's especially good with a little salsa on top. Quick, easy recipe!
    http://damndelicious.net/2014/07/07/quinoa-enchilada-casserole/
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Italian Egg Drop Soup is a favorite go to in our house- mainly because it's super quick
    4c broth- chicken or veggie as preferred
    1 egg
    About 1c orzo (I never measure)
    Two big handfuls baby spinach
    Grated Parm cheese to taste

Just cook the orzo in the broth. When the orzo is tender, mix egg and cheese and then slowly drizzle into soup while stirring. Add spinach and cook until the greens are wilted. Enjoy!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    gwensoul wrote: »
    Spinach quiche. I made mine with a box of frozen spinach, a cup of cottage cheese, 2 eggs all mixed up. Put in oven dish and sprinkle some parm or chedder on top and bake until done.

I'm going to try this!
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "Pasta e Fagioli"

fagioli-con-pasta.jpg

Pasta and Beans. Typical north Italian dish. Seriously, do not diss it until you tried it. If fills you up even in tiny quantities and is delicious.

The original recipe calls for some bacon in it, but you can just as easily take it out.

Other ideas –

Veggie Lasagna
    Polenta with mushrooms
    Quiche (just choose a meat-less sort)
    Minestrone
    Any fish dish
    Almost any risotto (I actually literally do not know one with meat in it)
    Quinoa Spinach Patties
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I made butternut squash and black bean taco filling last night, but I ate mine in lettuce cups instead of tortillas. I diced the squash into small cubes and sauteed it with onion, garlic, Serrano chilli and spice until tender then added canned black beans. I topped them with chopped radishes, cilantro, and salsa Verde. Quite delicious! I'm vegetarian and love the website Oh My Veggies.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This past week I made spinach lasagna rolls:

12 whole grain lasagna noodles, cooked
    2 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
    2 egg whites or one whole egg*
    12 Tablespoons part skim mozzarella
    3/4 cup parmesan cheese
    1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
    12 fresh basil leaves, rolled and cut into ribbons
    1 package fresh baby spinach
    Salt and pepper to taste
    32oz. jar spaghetti sauce or fresh sauce

*can substitute egg/egg white with a chia egg - take 1 tablespoon of ground chia seeds and mix with 3 tablespoons water, let sit for 5 minutes = 1 whole egg or 2 egg whites.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Ladle one cup of sauce into a 9x13 pan and spread around. Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg whites/egg/egg substitute, garlic, 3/4 of the basil leaves, and spinach. Salt and pepper to taste. Lay out lasagna noodles on wax/parchment paper. Spoon 1/3 cup ricotta mixture onto the noodle and spread out. Roll up and place in the baking pan seam side down. Repeat with all noodles. Ladle sauce over all rolls and top with one tablespoon of mozzarella. Bake for 40-50 minutes. To serve ladle a small amount of sauce on a plate, top with the lasagna roll, and garnish with a few basil leaves. Serve with a fresh fruit salad. Any leftover rolls can be wrapped individually in aluminum foil and frozen in a zip lock freezer bag. They make a wonderful grab and go lunch or dinner, packing/traveling beautifully.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    oh! spinach and ricotta roll!

similar to the above, except you need to make the dough and then make one large roll with it. :smile:

cut it up and put it in the oven. sprinkle parmigiano and butter all over it and leave in the oven until golden.
  • Karbum
    Karbum Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Take every green veggie you can find (especially spinach or callalo), add some plantains, sweet potatoes, green onions, regualr onions, cocunut milk, water, some spicy pepper and throw it all in the crock pot! Mmmm... best soup ever!!!!
  • elp1920
    elp1920 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is dinner tonight. Along with farro or brown rice and a green salad. Is very satisfying.
    https://food52.com/recipes/9906-it-s-maaaaa-gic-moroccan-carrots
  • CJgettingfit
    Options
    On the Savvy Vegetarian website, there is a recipe called Savory Shepherds Pie...tons of flavor and veggies...even my 13 year old loves it (even though he says he hates vegetarian meals. :smile:
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/chili-rubbed-steak-tacos-recipe.html

I've been doing variations of this recipe for a while. It's for flank steak, but it's ridiculously yummy with portabello mushrooms instead. The seasoning combined with the cucumber avocado salsa makes for the absolute best meatless fajitas.
  • wagagaga
    wagagaga Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    tammyc226 wrote: »
    zucchini and corn fritters are my favourite non-meat dish
    Mix all the below in a bowl and then cook how you would cook a small pancake. Makes about 12.
    400g grated zucchini with skin on
    2 eggs
    420g creamed corn
    1 cup self raising flour
    1/3 cup milk
    salt, pepper to taste and I add chilli flakes too.

Also great served cold and for lunches the next day

How many cal?
  • jlewisrn74
    jlewisrn74 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! I use the red. Cook it in vegetable broth. Add some sauted onions, a can of black beans, a cup of frozen corn, a can of rotel, and some cumin. Serve this with the sides of tacos (guac, sour cream ect..) on low carb tortillas or just eat from a bowl. It's sooo good!!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Stuff roasted peppers with some quinoa and beans.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love chickpea stew, vegetable curry, black bean chipotle burgers, etc. I find lots of great recipes on Pinterest.
  • attemptingfierce
    attemptingfierce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I made lentil chili for dinner last night, and will be having it for lunches throughout the week.

http://www.littlebroken.com/2014/10/14/lentil-chili/

mine didn't turn out quite as pretty as hers but it is super tasty.