After increasing to maintenance calories...

Options
Once you increased to your suggested maintenance calories, did you see a jump up on the scale? If so, how long did it last until you were back at your original weight?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The idea is to increase your calories slowly, so you don't see a big jump. Try bumping up your daily goal by 100-150 cal, keeping it steady for one or even two weeks to see how your body reacts.
  • Joanjett88
    Joanjett88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well, I started out doing that but ended up in a vicious cycle of increasing calories only to lower then again because of fear of the increase on the scale. Eventually I just said screw it and started eating at my maintenance calories set by MFP about 2 weeks ago.

I saw about a 5 pound increase from glycogen and sodium however it's not going away as quickly as I had hoped. Just looking for other's experiences with switching to maintenance.

• bm920
    bm920 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't know your maintenance calories, especially after being in a calorie deficit when your metabolism slows over time. It can just estimate them. You should have been more consistent with slowly adding in your calories so you would not have to deal with the 5 pound jump.
  • Joanjett88
    Options
    I know it's an estimation, so are the calories that my fitbit estimates for me. I also know that many recommend that you increase slowly but only because it causes a swing in glycogen restoration and you will retain water. That part I expected and am not worried about. However, I know I'm not the only one who has done it this way and I'm looking for their experiences on the time it took for the gain to level off again.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    When I moved to maitenance it took me about 6 weeks so no I didn't see an increase at all. I added in between 50-100 calories a day for each week to get there. Continued to workout and drink my water and even eat a bit more on some days...only time I gained was over the holidays when I was lax on my logging.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If it's glygogen/water restoration then it's not going to go away at maintenance. That's a very big if though!

Your MFP maintenance calories may be accurate for you if your recent weight loss before getting to goal matched your expectations.

You are going to have to be both patient and consistent and stop reacting due to "fear of the increase on the scale". At least a month to start seeing the trend.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    For me, I increased my calorie intake slowly (100 cals per week from 1,200 to 1,800). No change in the scale or measurements. For me, don't trust the scale and start measuring instead. Try using a TDEE calculator instead to get your maintenance, instead of using MFP's.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    Try using a TDEE calculator instead to get your maintenance, instead of using MFP's.

Why?
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Whether you see a big jump will depend on the form of the additional calories I suspect. If it's mostly carbs getting added back, your glycogen stores are going to get topped off nicely, and you will carry a little more water as a result. There's nothing particularly wrong with this, and remember it's just water weight, and will probably make more of a difference on the scale than what you see in the mirror.

If you can take some time to step up your calories gradually, there's a few benefits. Namely, you will see any increase in scale and water weight more clearly, giving you the option to delay/ stagger any further calorie increases until you are happy. Secondly, by stair-stepping your calories back up, you're giving your metabolism the maximum chance to recover and increase. Some people increase their calorie levels very gradually just to increase their metabolism, it's called reverse dieting.

I haven't hit maintenance myself yet, but have found in the past when I've raised my calorie level to decrease my deficit, I've actually lost weight initially, counter-intuitively. I attribute it to your body often being slow to release those lost lbs, especially when in a decent deficit situation, so bumping the calories can send signals to the body to release those lbs. This might sound all wish-washy, but you'll find reference to it around the web as 'whooshing' or 'the whoosh syndrome', and I've experienced it firsthand.

Anyway, by increasing the calories slowly as suggested, you'll have a little more control over things, and avoid having to change your calories in a yoyo-style manner if you feel the changes are too sudden. Hope this helps :smile:
  • Joanjett88
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice! I might try to lower my intake again by 150-200 and stay there for a week or two then increase again to suggested maintenance calories to see if that helps my body ease into it a little better.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Joanjett88 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the advice! I might try to lower my intake again by 150-200 and stay there for a week or two then increase again to suggested maintenance calories to see if that helps my body ease into it a little better.

That's what I did and I didn't see any increase in scale weight. I found it also helped me mentally adjust from losing to maintaining as well.
  • ROBtheMFPmachine
    ROBtheMFPmachine Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hm, I'm not close to being there yet (I have 15 pounds to go), but let me know how maintenance goes once you get there!
  • Joanjett88
    Options
    Maintenance is definitely harder than losing! lol
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had been losing so slowly for the last 5 pounds and then only upped 250, so I never saw a jump. I finally lost another 5 pounds at that 250 calorie deficit after a year and upped my calories to no deficit and still didn't see a gain.

Lots of people do, though. Like lots of people, I gave myself 5 pounds to stay in as a 'success' zone. I got to the bottom of it before I upped my calories at all. I haven't left it yet. Your body is going to bounce around a little - it's not a machine and what's in it varies day to day.

I like maintenance. More good food. And the logging fits into my love of data collection. Every month I still haven't gained feels good to me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It doesn't go away if it's glycogen.

I increased my calories slowly and continued to lose weight for a bit. I'd recommend setting yourself a maintenance range. Lose until you get to the bottom of it and then accept that there are going to be fluctuations. I'm happy if mine is anywhere between 122 and 128.