Struggling to see a difference! (with pics)

Options
Hi guys

I'm going to try to keep this short and sweet so here goes...

At my heaviest weight I was 224 lbs, I lost ~15 lbs over the course of a year through my job at the time (waiting tables and working in the worst kitchen environment possible).

I started this weight loss journey back in August 2014 at 208.6 lbs, I just weighed myself and am at 175 lbs exact which I think is a pretty good loss in terms of numbers.

However, I am struggling to see a visible difference in myself, even in some pictures (I do see it in some pictures but not the vast majority of them), others tell me they can see it and I'm crazy lol. When I look in the mirror I see the same person I was when I started this process.

I was just wondering if anyone else is facing the same struggles and if so what have you done/are you doing to overcome these?

At my heaviest
km8hc7ijjmkq.jpg

A few days before I started this journey
udebjl0zdh93.jpg

Me now
2z94kjq58xv4.jpg

This was taken just a few days ago
jaemo9nhpsci.jpg

Replies

• FrothyGibblets
    FrothyGibblets Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's definitely a difference, well done, you're looking great!

I think our sense of self perception is often skewed, especially if it's already leaning negatively. My brother managed to lose over 100lbs, dropped down into regular clothes sizes, looked a completely different person. When he looked in the mirror though, he still saw the old him, it's one of those psychological barriers we have to overcome when we make massive changes to ourselves, letting the old you go.
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    WOW! you can so see a difference sweetie~ keep it up, 5lb at a time, and compare photos every 3 months~
  • fizzleh
    fizzleh Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well done! You've done great so far!

If you check out my profile pic you can see I lost almost 40kg/88lb the first time I lost weight.

Even after loosing so much, I still felt like the same person. No extra energy, no confidence and not happy with myself. I guess this was why I have put on another 10kg/22lb since.

You know the funny thing about it. Now I've gained again, only now do I realise how thin I was. It is strange that things work out that way but you have to listen to your family and friends when they are honest about you having lost weight and looking better.

Take a couple of regular weekly/monthly photos in the same clothing/place/lighting/pose and don't ever compare yourself to the previous weeks or last month. Compare yourself to the first picture. Only when you are low on motivation, look at the rest to see your journey so far.
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hiya

There is definitely a big difference and you have such a beautiful face! Sometimes it takes the mind time to catch up with the body. Keep it up, you are doing well and you look fabulous!
  • MummyKate85
    MummyKate85 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There is a difference for sure! Great job!
  • jazzxdaisy
    jazzxdaisy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    you look sooo different. well done girly! you look amazing xo
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Definately a difference already - keep pushing forward. Looking good
  • ppersaud67
    ppersaud67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So long as you are hitting your dietary reqs then I would start by addressing your exercise regime. What are you doing currently?
  • nikitad123
    nikitad123 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's definitely a difference, well done, you're looking great!

I think our sense of self perception is often skewed, especially if it's already leaning negatively. My brother managed to lose over 100lbs, dropped down into regular clothes sizes, looked a completely different person. When he looked in the mirror though, he still saw the old him, it's one of those psychological barriers we have to overcome when we make massive changes to ourselves, letting the old you go.

Thank you. That is definitely the hardest thing to do. Congrats to your brother though, thats an amazing achievement!! :smile:

fizzleh wrote: »
    Well done! You've done great so far!

If you check out my profile pic you can see I lost almost 40kg/88lb the first time I lost weight.

Even after loosing so much, I still felt like the same person. No extra energy, no confidence and not happy with myself. I guess this was why I have put on another 10kg/22lb since.

You know the funny thing about it. Now I've gained again, only now do I realise how thin I was. It is strange that things work out that way but you have to listen to your family and friends when they are honest about you having lost weight and looking better.

Take a couple of regular weekly/monthly photos in the same clothing/place/lighting/pose and don't ever compare yourself to the previous weeks or last month. Compare yourself to the first picture. Only when you are low on motivation, look at the rest to see your journey so far.

Thank you. I just saw your pic, you look great! Keep going, you've done it once, you can do it again. Pics are not exactly my thing lol but I am definitely going to have to try and do that.
    Hiya

There is definitely a big difference and you have such a beautiful face! Sometimes it takes the mind time to catch up with the body. Keep it up, you are doing well and you look fabulous!

Haha thank you :blush:
    ppersaud67 wrote: »
    So long as you are hitting your dietary reqs then I would start by addressing your exercise regime. What are you doing currently?

Most days I hit my calories, although some days I am way below. But thats something I am working on. As for exercise, I train with my PT three times a week, our sessions include upper body and core, legs and core, boxing/pad work, circuits and explosives. After each 1hr session I then do an hour of cardio usually the treadmill and sometimes elliptical/cross trainer.

Other than training with him, I try to train at least another day doing circuits, there are loads of weight loss/general training programmes on Instagram, so I either combine a few of those or just do a few rounds of one.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference. You look beautiful in all your pics. But you are much slimmer. And your eyebrows are on point! lol
  • raimondajuk
    Options
    You look great! Well done !!! Dont stop,keep going :D<3 ..!
  • nikitad123
    Options
    Thank you for all the support and kind words, it means a lot to me :)
    There's a big difference. You look beautiful in all your pics. But you are much slimmer. And your eyebrows are on point! lol

Lmao. You literally made my day!!
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There's a big difference in your face and upper arms, but if you want to use photos to monitor your progress (which I think is a great way since it's hard for us to see the changes when we see ourselves every day), you should use the same outfit in the same poses.
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Obvious huge difference and you know it lol. Keep up the good work.
  • nikitad123
    Options
    Obvious huge difference and you know it lol. Keep up the good work.
    I'm not saying there isn't a difference, I'm saying I'm struggling with seeing those differences in the mirror and if anyone was facing the same issues and if so how they overcame them. But thank you nonetheless.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hahaha :) Good!
  • whitewolf1200
    whitewolf1200 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In the same boat as you. Even though I don't see a difference in the mirror I logically reason it out by buying and fitting into clothes that are smaller. I don't know if this feeling and way of perceiving ourselves ever goes away. By the way, you look stunning in the third picture.
  • janinealderton123
    janinealderton123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Well done. I understand that feeling. My family say I am my smaller and my son will say I can put my arm around you now, mommy.

You really look fantastic

• nikitad123
    Options
    @whitewolf1200 @janinealderton123 Thank you. I don't wish this feeling on anyone but I am glad to know I'm not the only one out there who does feel this way. Re the smaller clothes, thats exactly what I do, I know I am smaller, but the mirror is telling me something else altogether. I really hope it does go soon.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You look absolutely gorgeous. Stand in front of the mirror and enjoy beautiful you. A massive, massive difference - well done.