Is fitness trackers wurth it.

Options
Do i get one . Is it wurth the money?

Replies

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yes because MFP's database won't be as exact regarding calorie burn as a fitness tracker/ heart rate monitor will be. Definitely worth the money.
  • Philip_squish
    Philip_squish Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes because MFP's database won't be as exact regarding calorie burn as a fitness tracker/ heart rate monitor will be. Definitely worth the money.
    The trackers with HRM i noticed is more accurate. But here they are so expensive. MFP i noticed is awesome. What would you recommend using with MFP
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I honestly bought a cheaper Syncfit monitor that doesn't even sync with MFP. It's still accurate, but I just have to log my info each time I use it. It was only about $35, though. You don't HAVE to buy one that syncs with MFP. Does it make it easier? Yes, but it's not mandatory.

I would check online or in your local department stores to see what they have.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Nothing will be accurate, bar from measuring everything (your self included) to the gram and keeping track of how much you lost and then calculating backwards what your burn was. If you only ever do aerobic exercise and are otherwise rather "normal" height, weight etc. then a HRM will be able to give a fairly good estimate, but that's only if you wear the belt 24/7. The basic trackers and activity bands will offer you nothing more than their guess, and at least I prefer to make my own guesses, since I think that I know myself a bit better than the folks over at Garmin.

Now, to anser OP: yes, I definitely think that my Vivosmart + HRM is worth the bucks. I just don't think that the calorie counter has much value, in fact, I haven't even looked at it for weeks, if not months. I like the HRM and step counter, reminders on moving about when I've been stationary for too long etc.
  • jazzxdaisy
    jazzxdaisy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i have a fitbit flex and i love it. it prompts me to drink more water and counts the steps i've taken throughout the day. i find it really, personally, helps me stick to my plan and not stray over. it's also spurred me on to walk more. it syncs nicely with mfp. i log all my food and exercise (any thing that isn't walking) on mfp and fit bit takes into account any extra calories burnt through walking.
    i love my fitbit :) haha xo
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit Charge HR. $149.00. Heart rate monitor built in, counts steps, stairs climbed, can time workouts, monitors sleep activity....and tells the time, too ;)
  • Philip_squish
    Options
    I appreciate the honesty and insight guys.. :) . Wil see what my bank manager(wife :D ) says.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The first Vivofit will be dropping in price as newer models have been released. It's worth a look.
  • gwenny0407
    gwenny0407 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love love my bodybugg by body media. Several gals in my workout class also use them. It's just like a food scale... keeps you inputting real numbers instead of guesses (or giving yourself a little more then you deserve). Nothing is 100% accurate. Some are better then others. I do have to say that I compare what I get from my bodybugg vs MapMyFitness Apps vs Exercise Machine Estimates and usually just input the lowest number into MFP. Good luck! :smiley:
  • Philip_squish
    Options
    Excellent. Ill have a look at it. Thanx for your input. Appreciate
  • dannwillis79
    Options
    I have had a Withings Pulse O2 for a while now and love the fact that it links with MFP app and others like strava. They definitely encourage you to be more active if you're the competitive type, downside to the Withings unit is that last week it pinged out of the watch strap whilst out fell running and is now gone forever
  • ZebsterBC
    ZebsterBC Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use the FitBit One and I use it mainly for tracking steps and stairs (hills). It allows me to set goals that I can meet even when I'm not going to the gym everyday. I find that I get more activity in each day when I work to meet those goals. The app syncs well with MFP and is very user friendly.
  • waxflower
    Options
    I like my Fitbit One. Clip on, don't have to wear it on your wrist, and it's pretty accurate at tracking steps as far as I can tell. More convenient than logging and estimating everything you do, which I never feel too sure about.
  • Jewlz1972
    Jewlz1972 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Vivofit. It really allows you to see the benefits of your exercise immediately. You see it as MFP gives you more calories to eat, and helps keep you in your goal zone. No starving yourself for weight loss.
  • Philip_squish
    Options
    I have had a Withings Pulse O2 for a while now and love the fact that it links with MFP app and others like strava. They definitely encourage you to be more active if you're the competitive type, downside to the Withings unit is that last week it pinged out of the watch strap whilst out fell running and is now gone forever
    Thats bad man. Will have a look at it.
  • Philip_squish
    Options
    waxflower wrote: »
    I like my Fitbit One. Clip on, don't have to wear it on your wrist, and it's pretty accurate at tracking steps as far as I can tell. More convenient than logging and estimating everything you do, which I never feel too sure about.

Strange enough the fitbit one is the one i was liking the most as it sounds simple to use user friendly, i also looked at the vivo fit but apparantly it doesnt sync with android phones...correct me if im wrong please?