Bat Wings

Options
I know you can't spot reduce fat and that it is stubborn/seems to leave the areas you want it gone most last lol. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on dealing with the ugly bat wings. Not looking to reduce the fat in that area, but rather ways to deal with it. As I've been losing weight, the area under my arms as become really flabby. For some reason it didnt bother me when it was solid fat, but now that it is all jiggly I am finding my self a bit self conscious about it. Seeing as it is winter, I have been hiding my arms long sleeve shirts.

Few questions regarding arms:
1- does anyone have any fashion tips for how to hide the flab while still being fashionable? Like types of shirts you have found to look decent?

2- I haven't started any strength exercises yet, but plan on starting soon. Would toning help? If so, what type of toning type exercises have you found helpful?

3- For those who have lost a significant amount of weight (100+ lbs), did you also have the flab? If so, have you found it got better with time? And if it did, was there anything specific you incorporated into your routine that helped?

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, strength training will help. You may always have loose skin. I usually wear 3/4 length sleeve t shirts and cardigans over my sleeveless dresses/tops. My arms have always been big, whether I am fat or thin. I fit into small tops at one point but my chunky arms sized me into a med or large if the sleeves were fitted.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Yes, strength training will help. You may always have loose skin. I usually wear 3/4 length sleeve t shirts and cardigans over my sleeveless dresses/tops. My arms have always been big, whether I am fat or thin. I fit into small tops at one point but my chunky arms sized me into a med or large if the sleeves were fitted.

I hope not, however being realistic about it. I've started saving money so that if there is too much excess skin, I can get it removed.
  • amandasmith911
    amandasmith911 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ignore it. Focus on your health. Or have surgery. It all depends on how well your skin shrinks back. Mine doesn't at all. I hate it. I'll never be able to afford surgery. So I just focus on health.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Tracey Campoli has a bat wing workout on youtube that I've done several times.

Other strength exercises:I do some of the exercises from the video with dumbbells. I also do pushups/flys from different heights (the floor, a coffee table, the kitchen counter).

As for shirts, I've learned to avoid cap sleeves/sleeves that come above halfway down the bicep. (I still wear tank tops because Florida--but the others cut off in an unattractive place.)

It's hard to say if the exercises are helping with the bat wings--I've lost 34 pounds and they're shrinking anyway. But I feel like I'm doing something about it.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Ignore it. Focus on your health. Or have surgery. It all depends on how well your skin shrinks back. Mine doesn't at all. I hate it. I'll never be able to afford surgery. So I just focus on health.

Same here which is why I started saving now. Once I get to my goal weight, I will wait a few months to see if it shrinks back on its own.

Other strength exercises:I do some of the exercises from the video with dumbbells. I also do pushups/flys from different heights (the floor, a coffee table, the kitchen counter).

As for shirts, I've learned to avoid cap sleeves/sleeves that come above halfway down the bicep. (I still wear tank tops because Florida--but the others cut off in an unattractive place.)

It's hard to say if the exercises are helping with the bat wings--I've lost 34 pounds and they're shrinking anyway. But I feel like I'm doing something about it.

I will check out the YouTube video you suggested, thank you.
  • elphie754
    Options

That is exactly my feelings on it
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My fashion tip would be: bat wing shirts, I love them!
  • elphie754
    Options
    Tinytaru wrote: »
    My fashion tip would be: bat wing shirts, I love them!

Seriously? They look ridiculous . Lol
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    low-cut tops

nobody will be looking at your arms

<nods>
  • elphie754
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    low-cut tops

nobody will be looking at your arms

<nods>

Lol. It is more a self confidence than anything else.