Grocery Shopping, tonight..Ideas?

Options
Going Grocery Shopping tonight, I need Ideas..!!! I usually run with Healthy Choice Microwaveable meals, Sara Lee 55 calorie a slice bread-low fat cheese--animal crackers & such..

Anyone want to give me something different to get?

I dont usually cook..so something-or things that are easy, I mean I'm only 22..and live by myself.. hmm

Replies

• truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm 22 also! And hate to cook, so I make sure to stock up on quick, easy to grab foods. Fresh veggies are great (baby carrots, sugar snap peas, etc.) and so are apples, bananas, etc. I also like to get single serving pouches of nuts, yogurt, cottage cheese, 100 calorie packs, oatmeal packets, Skinny Cow ice cream desserts, single serving frozen vegetables, hummus, Fiber One bars... and whatever other random things I might find! The other day I found fruit snacks that are only 70 calories for the pouch... they're called Annie's Organics or something. I love grocery shopping!!! Haha :)
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    Light string cheese, almonds, skim milk and Fiber one Cereal.
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the best thing you can do for yourself is learn how to cook. It's really easy, and the food you make yourself, from REAL food (not the processed junk that comes in boxes), not only is much more nutritious, but it tastes better too. If you do that, you'll find yourself losing weight almost effortlessly. Unless you learn how to make cheesecake, of course. ;)
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    salad, pink grapefruit, oatmeal, chobani greek yogurt, almond milk,...

Do you not have a place to cook or just don't know how? I would be lost without my crock pot for chicken and pork tenderloin roasts and little george foreman grill for hamburgers and boneless chicken breasts. Both are electric and don't take up much counter space.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered Amy's Organic Pizzas...really good. My favorite is the mushroom and olive one.
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    Don't use the I am only 22 excuse. I was a single mom at 19 and knew how to cook for myself. That being said I would recomend switching to natures own 40 cal slice bread. That could save you 20 calories for a sandwhich. Also be careful eating all those frozen meals they are extremely high in sodium which is bad for your health even though they are called healthy choice. I would recomend looking up healthy recipes and learn how to cook. In most grocery stores they sell pre package choped veggies and such. Also I learned cooking for one had it advantages for left overs. Just freeze and pop in the microwave when ready to eat again.

Get some veggies, fruits, oatmeal, whole wheat bread, nuts, lean meats that are boneless and skinless, brown rice, whole wheat couscous i really yummy. I also make my own deserts sometimes that way I know everything that I am putting into my body and water.
  • MeaganAnn84
    MeaganAnn84 Posts: 95
    Options
    I made a tuna salad and stuffed it in pita bread for lunches. YUM!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Fruited-Tuna-Salad-Pitas
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Love greek yogurt- chiobani- any flavor or the athenos with honey kind! yum! I love making egg whites in the morning- I just buy whole eggs (they are usually cheap), chicken breast, fresh fruit, veggies.......less processed = better! I still do some processed foods, but I am trying to eat more real stuff overall! I also like to buy chicken and cook it in the crock pot and shred it later. I can use it all week with different flavorings to make new things. Hope this helps!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I have a plan to try something new every week or so (usually a fruit or vegetable). I am a mom of 2 that doesn't really know how to cook a lot of things and that used to limit our meal choices and it made me pass down a lot of bad habits to my kids.

The frozen Lean Cuisine and Weight Watcher Meals are good as a back up but that plan didn't work for long for me and my family because it became too expensive, we got bored with the same stuff week after week, they are really high in sodium, and let's face it...they are boring and unexciting and they don't look anything like when you go out for dinner. So for us those shortcuts were not effective in instilling a life-style change for long term success. I'm not preaching. I've only lost 13 pounds so far but it's 13 more than I lost after investing hundreds of dollars in WW and frozen meals last year. If you like the convenience of the frozen meals buy yourself some Gladware containers and a few bags of frozen veggies and make your own. That way you control the menu to suit your taste a little more and probably a ton less sodium.

If you are looking for meal ideas for under 300 calories check out the Hungry Girl web-site. I get daily emails with all kinds of swap out ideas and easy to follow recipes. Today's recipe was breakfast tacos! Tonight I bought bamboo mats and looked up on the internet how to make California Rolls at home. I can make them without raw fish and customize them to suit my kids' tastes. I have never tried this before but what's the worst that can happen, I learn something new? I swap out angel hair Tofu noodles and bouillon for Ramen Noodles. I LOVE the Sour Cream & Onion Special K Cracker Chips. They taste great and you get 27 chips for 110 calories and it looks like a mound of chips on your plate. Hope this helps.
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday and it turned out really good: Chick Pea Salad

1 or 2 cans of chick peas ( I used dry beans and soaked them myself) Cans work though!
    fresh organo chopped fine
    fire roasted peppers ( I used the ones in the jar in the produce section)
    canned sliced black olives
    lite salad dressing of your choice ( I used a vinegrette)

Mix items, refridgarate, ENJOY!

sundried tomatoes would be good too! Be creative...