I hate running.

Options
Hate running, but need to. Any one in atascadero area up for a run??

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    If you truly hate running, and don't just "hate running" like people do at Mile 25 out of 26.2 (or perhaps more to the point, mile 139 out of 140.6), why are you doing it? There are so many other types of exercise that you might actually enjoy!
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Yes! Please don't run if it isn't for you.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    LOL! I hate running, but I'm up for the challenge. I want to be good at it, I want to prove to myself that I have the discipline. Maybe you really don't hate running, its just hard? But really, if like everyone else has mentioned, you don't want to run, then don't. There is risk of injury, and what a shame to injury yourself doing something you don't like and don't even have to. maybe look into cycling? Cardio class? There are so many high intensity classes offered nowadays.

Good luck!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I love running. I will take any left-over miles you don't want.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to run?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Then do something else.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Walk! Running is hard on your body. There is empirical evidence that too much running can shorten your lifespan and also have adverse affects on thyroid function. (I'd give you links if I weren't typing this from my phone.) And then there are the obvious injury risks: shin splints, joint problems, etc... Go on a nice brisk walk instead. Follow that up by some resistance training. No need to force yourself to run if you don't really love it.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Walk! Running is hard on your body. There is empirical evidence that too much running can shorten your lifespan and also have adverse affects on thyroid function. (I'd give you links if I weren't typing this from my phone.) And then there are the obvious injury risks: shin splints, joint problems, etc... Go on a nice brisk walk instead. Follow that up by some resistance training. No need to force yourself to run if you don't really love it.

Not quite, but I'd like to see your studies...

If you don't like running, don't run. I don't like indoor workouts, so I avoid them as much as possible. I don't like garbanzo beans, so I don't eat them. Find something you do like and do the heck out of it!
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Darn! You caught me being wrong. But I sounded so confident. :wink: In any case running is not for everyone and there's no point in doing something you hate when there are so many other ways to be active.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Darn! You caught me being wrong. But I sounded so confident. :wink: In any case running is not for everyone and there's no point in doing something you hate when there are so many other ways to be active.

I'm sorry what? you've just spouted an absolute load of drivel that has no scientific backing? what on earth made you think that's an alright thing to do? what was your goal?

i'd really love to know your thought process, i can't get my head around why you would do this, was it just to see if you could blag someone into thinking you were smart?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Walk! Running is hard on your body. There is empirical evidence that too much running can shorten your lifespan and also have adverse affects on thyroid function. (I'd give you links if I weren't typing this from my phone.)

So when are you going to post the links? Because that sounds like bollox to me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I love running. I will take any left-over miles you don't want.

I don't like the first ten minutes, but after that I love it. Can I send you the first ten minutes of all my runs and I'll take over after that :)
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Trying to get cardio done faster? Don't like to run? Swim.
  • Frequently_Fabulous
    Frequently_Fabulous Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Simple solution- don't run. :) I say this as someone who hates hates hates biking. I told myself I "had" to do it to get more quad definition and each session was torture. I switched to squats and it is So. Much. Better!
    -
    If you're looking for high impact cardio, would zumba or Turbokick or a stationary bike or the eliptical be more appealing? Each one still burns a lot of calories and gets you sweaty and your heart pumpin!
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. Only do it when I am at home, have 20 min then I do 2 miles max. Otherwise, I get my heartrate up during strength training, fast paced full body exercises or do a plyometrics workout (sometimes some plyos in between lifting sets.

What I love about doing plyos is that there are tons you can choose from, lots of 'programs' you can find etc. As long as you get your heart rate up, get yourself out of breath, recover and do another round, you're good. I do at least eight rounds. No set plan, just think of what I want to do next during my recovery breaks.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Wow seriously?!
    There's enough crap science floating around the forums, you don't need to add to it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Why do you need to run?
    Yeah, why? Are you being chased?
  • jlp19771
    jlp19771 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I came to the conclusion that I hate running too. I would much rather do a brisk walk (purely mental? lol) than run any time. I can find other things to do without the hatred of running that will get my heart rate up. Plus it's so hard on your joints.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

studies show driving a car can shorten your life span too.

wait- why are you hear again?
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    jlp19771 wrote: »
    Plus it's so hard on your joints.

No it's not