I hate running.

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well- it can be if you have *kitten* for form.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running, don't do it. Doing something you don't like is just more likely to make you quit. Find something you enjoy and have fun burning calories instead. Me? I'll take running.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am going to chime in saying if you hate running, there are LOTS of other pretty strenuous exercises you can do. (Oh... SWIMMING leaps irresistably to mind... can't say why...)

But seriously, there is no One True Way to get a workout.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Self inflicted, no sympathy. That's not the running, it's the runner :)

• jlp19771
    jlp19771 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    jlp19771 wrote: »
    Plus it's so hard on your joints.

No it's not

Umm yes it is. After having worked for years with orthopedics and physical therapists. I can tell you that running tears up your knees and ankles. There is plenty of other exercise available that provides the same benefits as running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I can tell you that running tears up your knees and ankles.

That's about technique and progression, not running per se.

Notwithstanding the slips/ trips/ falls aspect pretty much any injured runner can attribute it to something they've done; too much too soon, overtraining, lifed out shoes.

Cycling, swimming, rowing, weight training all bear their own risks, and the same point applies. They're preventable injuries.

Coming out with blanket statements that X exercise is a bad thing (tm) is unhelpful to the reader.

• JoRocka
    edited January 2015
    Options

Self inflicted, no sympathy. That's not the running, it's the runner :)
    lol no argument's here- just saying it can happen LMAO.
    There is plenty of other exercise available that provides the same benefits as running.
    I'd love to know your training program for a marathon runner that doesn't include running.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Plus it's so hard on your joints.

No it's not

Umm yes it is. After having worked for years with orthopedics and physical therapists. I can tell you that running tears up your knees and ankles. There is plenty of other exercise available that provides the same benefits as running.

It's all how you run. I started at age 53 with two hip replacements. I have run close to 5,000 miles on them and my recent x-rays showed no wear, and my orthopedic surgeon gave me the green light to keep running... and my old crusty ankles and knees are doing A-OK too. Running is not hard on my joints. We were born to run.

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Most people hate running when they first start. It's hard to find the rhythm...

If you really want to learn to run and enjoy it, you have to take the pressure off of yourself and get rid of any expectations you have.

If you have trouble breathing, slow down or add in walking intervals (nobody cares and most won't even notice).

Don't think you have to run a 10 min/mile or better, to be a runner.

Don't run everyday if you are just getting into it. It may take a while for your body to adjust to the impact. If your shins start to hurt take a few days off.

If you run with a friend, don't compete or compare yourself to them. It was hard for me to run with people when I started because I was afraid I was slowing them down so I'd push too hard. Truth is they offered to run with me knowing I would slow them down and that was okay. They wanted to help. My ego just had a hard time with that (still does really).

Most of all if you still hate it after you reach your goal, find something new to try. I prefer biking, but when the weather is bad I run. It will never be my favorite exercise, but I do look forward to it now. Sometimes I use GPS and track my runs. Sometimes I just go out and run for me. I call these Zen runs. No metrics, I run how I feel. I might sprint a hill or walk it doesn't matter it's for me.

Try to find something you enjoy, even if it is a challenge and then go for it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I'd love to know your training program for a marathon runner that doesn't include running.

Prancing around in front of a DVD probably, maybe some Zumba and a gentle walk :)
  • JoRocka
    Options

Prancing around in front of a DVD probably, maybe some Zumba and a gentle walk :)
    stick with the walking- the prancing and zumba sound awfully high stress.
    - Oh- walking AND water zumba.

There we go. Done and done. Couch to marathon via water zumba. Thank you- that'll be 19.99 for 3 easy payments. You can thank me when you win.
  • queen_of_disaster
    queen_of_disaster Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think all runners feel this to a certain extent. ;) But if you spend every minute of your run hating everything, then it's just not worth it. Find something that feels good but is still challenging enough that you have to keep setting the bar higher to hit your goals. Do you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had a conversation with my GP in September along the lines of "you could do with more exercise". I pointed out that I was running 40-50km per week and had a half marathon coming up and he suggested some walking instead...

But he was a Doctor so clearly he knew what he was on about!

the biggest problem with my current marathon plan is that I've not got the appetite to EAT ALL THE FOODS after I finish a training session
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    When you say you have to do it is it job related? Because I did have to do that once and I hated running then and I hate it now. Lol. The most I do now is a mile for my boot camp classes and I love the classes too much to not suck it up and do the running involved with them. Now I just try and embrace it and actually get better at it. Good luck!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running then don't run. Find something else. Lots of stuff out there.

If you want to like running but it sucks and hurts when you start--join the club. And read the stickied topic at the very top of Fitness and Exercise: "So You Want To Start Running".
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I hate running, too. I solved the problem by not running.

I like picking up heavy stuff. I like swimming. I like skiing. I do those things. Life is Good.

True story.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I can't run do to Morton's Neuroma.

There are so many exercises out there to help your with fitness goals. Running is not for everyone and everyone can't do it, me included.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Lmao don't run then. Find something else you actually enjoy.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I like running. That said, I really don't like running between miles 1 and 2 on a regular basis. That is where I used to stop and start doing the whole walk/run thing. It took a long time before I was regularly running through this point to where it seems to be a lot easier between miles 2 and 3 (for me). Even then I am still pushing myself to go on, but I don't require as much. Until I start getting to my higher mileages for training that is. Then I have to push myself so that I do not waste all the time and distance invested just to get to that point.

After running though, I feel great. Like some mentioned above, they dislike the actual running but like everything else about it. The running is the hard part, so it is natural to find it the least pleasurable overall aspect of being a runner.

If you feel you need to run, just keep at it to your personal best. Don't let "failures" get you down. If you ran to that point of failure, you succeeded to that point and have a new milestone to overcome is all.

You may surprise yourself and find you like it.

This all coming from a guy who HATED running for the first 42 years of his life. One year ago I would have laughed at anyone who said I would be a happy distance runner. It would have been beyond comically insane.

But I like it. Much to my surprise.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »
    Darn! You caught me being wrong. But I sounded so confident. :wink: In any case running is not for everyone and there's no point in doing something you hate when there are so many other ways to be active.

I'm sorry what? you've just spouted an absolute load of drivel that has no scientific backing? what on earth made you think that's an alright thing to do? what was your goal?

i'd really love to know your thought process, i can't get my head around why you would do this, was it just to see if you could blag someone into thinking you were smart?

Calm down.

Unless this is a pattern of behaviour by big_lindsay, it was probably not a deliberate plan to snow everyone. She was probably convinced she remembered reading that somewhere and posted without a reference check. No one else on this site has ever done that, I'm sure.

OP, don't run if you hate it. Unless you want to challenge yourself - then go for it! Just don't sour yourself on exercise because you stick to something you really hate.