Thoughts on If It Fits Your Macros (IIFYM) lifestyle?

Options
I believe that following the 'If It Fits Your Macros' principle to be the best nutrition plan to hit your goals with a realistic lifestyle. What do you think?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Agreed,
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I think that the best nutrition plan to hit your goals is the one that you can stick to, regardless of which one it happens to be.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    mrmagee3 wrote: »
    I think that the best nutrition plan to hit your goals is the one that you can stick to, regardless of which one it happens to be.

THIS^^^
    For whatever it's worth… I'm a firm believer in IIFYM. I love it. It's what I follow (essentially). And it would be my first recommendation for anyone. However, I also know that people are different. Some people have medical issues that require a different diet and some just have a really hard time moderating (which is essentially what IIFYM is based on). Therefore you have to find the diet (meaning eating plan) that best fits your personality, your morals, and what you can live with forever.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options

This right here. I follow IIFYM; however, I have buddies that follow the clean eating methodology, and they see tremendous results as well. It all depends on 1) what your goals are and 2) who you are.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Why can't you and IIFYM and paleo or be vegetarian or whatever else you choose to be?
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Why can't you and IIFYM and paleo or be vegetarian or whatever else you choose to be?

To a certain extent, you are. I think it's a bit of a break between the actual words "IIFYM" and what the actual nutritional guidance of IIFYM is. While the guidance of IIFYM as a plan is really "eat whatever you want, in moderation, as long as it fits your macros", the actual words "if it fits your macros" don't necessarily preclude, say, setting your carb macro goal at 25g and eating a ketogenic diet.

• jacksonpt
    edited January 2015
    Options

To a certain extent, you are. I think it's a bit of a break between the actual words "IIFYM" and what the actual nutritional guidance of IIFYM is. While the guidance of IIFYM as a plan is really "eat whatever you want, in moderation, as long as it fits your macros", the actual words "if it fits your macros" don't necessarily preclude, say, setting your carb macro goal at 25g and eating a ketogenic diet.

Except that's not really what IIFYM is about... that the's bastardized MFP version. IIFYM is really about setting macros and choosing foods to maximize workout performance. So in that regard, I guess IIFYM could preclude some low carb diets if someone wanted to be a triathlete.

But ultimately, if your dietary preferences lined up with your athletic goals reasonably well... IIFYM wouldn't exclude said dietary preferences.

Would it?
  • wild1990
    wild1990 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Personally for me i've tried 'clean eating' only, have even tried 'intermittent fasting' and saw great results, however in terms of actually hitting your macros with a busy lifestyle there is no better then the IIFYM choice.
  • jacksonpt
    edited January 2015
    Options
    wild1990 wrote: »
    Personally for me i've tried 'clean eating' only, have even tried 'intermittent fasting' and saw great results, however in terms of actually hitting your macros with a busy lifestyle there is no better then the IIFYM choice.

Again, they aren't mutually exclusive. You can IF and IIFYM. You can eat clean and IIFYM.
  • mrmagee3
    Options

Except that's not really what IIFYM is about... that the's bastardized MFP version. IIFYM is really about setting macros and choosing foods to maximize workout performance. So in that regard, I guess IIFYM could preclude some low carb diets if someone wanted to be a triathlete.

But ultimately, if your dietary preferences lined up with your athletic goals reasonably well... IIFYM wouldn't exclude said dietary preferences.

Would it?

You appear to be more well versed in it than I am -- so I should ask you that question, as I have no idea. I'm just going by what I've read here and via a brief scan of their website, and wouldn't claim to be any authority on it. It's not what I do.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I feel everyone who is interested to learn about IIFYM would benefit from SideSteel's forum post from back in 2012:

IIFYM
  • wild1990
    wild1990 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    I feel everyone who is interested to learn about IIFYM would benefit from SideSteel's forum post from back in 2012:

IIFYM

Great read, very informative
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    IIFYM sounds like a sound eating plan but it also sounds like it would take added planning. To make sure you get your macros in. I don't have much difficulty staying where I want to be on calories (except yesterday man was that a hollow day). However I tend to be over on some macros and under on others.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think that it is awesome for some people but it's never worked for me. Any kind of moderation or portion control diet leaves me feeling deprived and constantly hungry. I do way better eating a ton of protein and fat. I always feel satisfied. It's all about what works for you. I can't thrive on IIFYM and others can't thrive on my lack of grain/sugar/vegetable oils. It's not a one-size fits all for any "diet".
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter chocolate pop-tart game = strong.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This. I watch my macros, and also do other things based on what is likely to make me eat well (as I understand that) and keep a deficit.

I think IIFYM encourages people to figure out their own needs and what will enable them to meet those, and as such I think it's quite a sensible approach, however.
  • fiestyflower1
    fiestyflower1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Is there a thread for IIFYM for beginners?
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    No effing way I am giving up any number of things, but I am perfectly happy to get into the habit of eating less of them.
  • aliali786
    aliali786 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If IIFYM works for you then
  • aliali786
    aliali786 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's great but if it doesn't you just have too figure out what works for yourself