Do people treat you differently after you lost weight? Does it make you happy, or sad, or both?

Replies

• bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    While I'm positive some of it could be because of the lost weight, some of being treated differently could also be because you could be projecting yourself differently now. When people lose weight and take care of themselves, they gain self confidence and seem to be a bit more outgoing, friendly, etc. People could be responding positively to the change in the way that you carry yourself now.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    ^ Lol, you can't decide what people are upset about because you are not them.

Based on what I read, I can if I want to.
    Nope.
    Oh yeah

No >:O

lol what is it that you are arguing? Because I said she would be upset if no one noticed her after her weight loss? Hell, ask her. I don't need to, I already know.

I'm just going to keep saying no until you agree with me LOL
  • cklbrown
    cklbrown Posts: 4,696 Member
    I just don't understand why people suddenly feel it acceptable to discuss my weight. It was not appropriate 100 pounds ago, it is not appropriate now.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    No one even noticed. I only lost 30 pounds, but on my frame that's a lot. I didn't lose the weight to impress other people, though, so it really didn't bother me that no one noticed.
  • blueeyesgrace
    blueeyesgrace Posts: 407 Member
    I'm losing the weight for myself, but, with that said... I have noticed the more I trim up, the more I get guys staring at me at the gym. I'm not offended - I'm kind of flattered that I catch their eye (never had that before). It's a good feeling, to me, that I'm working hard and it's being noticed.
  • webuiltthisnicky
    webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
    I think I get what you're saying although other people don't seem to. People who knew you as a person and knew you to be interesting, smart, funny, or whatever your positive traits are, weren't interested in dating you before. Now, suddenly because you're a bit thinner, you're getting asked out by those same people.

I think it would be less offensive to be asked out by a stranger post-weight loss. They didn't know you before and they don't know you now. All they know about you so far is what they see standing in front of them, and they like that at the very least. People who knew you before but that wasn't good enough until you lost weight, well, that's a different story.
  • Sinistrous
    People who knew you before but that wasn't good enough until you lost weight, well, that's a different story.

Bravo!
  • I don't know why anyone would be upset over receiving attention after loosing weight. Success is a pretty attractive trait.
  • Sinistrous
    I don't know why anyone would be upset over receiving attention after loosing weight. Success is a pretty attractive trait.

Success or not, the person was not deemed "worthy" by the other one that deems them "worthy" now, and that is not a good feeling.

It will feel so good for them to say no :)
  • eddiedamn
    eddiedamn Posts: 17 Member
    May33338 wrote: »
    I get attention from men who never even spared me a second in the past and I feel confused because I'm both flattered and offended at the same time because these are men who either worked or studied with me long before I lost the weight.

You're describing your frustration with my sole motivation. :smile:

• Sinistrous
    eddiedamn wrote: »
    I get attention from men who never even spared me a second in the past and I feel confused because I'm both flattered and offended at the same time because these are men who either worked or studied with me long before I lost the weight.

You're describing your frustration with my sole motivation. :smile:

LOL that username, though.
    Bahahha...
  • Hitem20
    Hitem20 Posts: 121
    edited January 2015

People will treat you differently if you are more attractive to them. They will also treat you better if you smile more, act nicely etc. That's just how people are. Embrace it, be thankful, be happy and be you.
  • RNKate_1
    RNKate_1 Posts: 14 Member
    YES! My older brother actually said he liked being with me more since I had lost weight because, "I couldn't stand to look at you before you lost weight!"
  • du6157
    du6157 Posts: 14 Member
    _Tink_ wrote: »
    No one even noticed. I only lost 30 pounds, but on my frame that's a lot. I didn't lose the weight to impress other people, though, so it really didn't bother me that no one noticed.

They were probably jealous of your success so they didn't say anything. People who are confident in themselves find it easy to compliment others.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    edited January 2015
    Yes and no. I always made friends and got attention from guys. It's just different now. Different guys. Different attitude. I don't care anyway because I am married.

One thing I HAVE noticed though is if a male stranger makes a flirty or complimentary comment to me now and I act kind of unimpressed or don't smile, they seem TOTALLY unfazed like they expected that to be my reaction. When I was heavier I saw them get a little look or bit of attitude almost like, "Wow, you're fat so you should REALLY appreciate what I said about you being cute or whatever!" (they didn't say that but I recognized the look, and now it's totally gone which is an odd thing to notice) FTR I'm not talking about sincere, sweet compliments...which I'd always welcome. I mean a guy calling me "babe" or "hon" or saying "dang I like that dress on you" which is more unwanted attention to some extent...not totally inappropriate either...there's a grey area there.

As for female friends though, there's a huge difference in the ease with which I "make new friends" now. It seems like any time I meet a woman through other friends they want to be my buddy and hang out and go do stuff and so on. In the past when I was 100+ pounds heavier it was more like "oh hello, nice to meet you" and that's it. I get many more social invites.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    People treat you how you let them. DEMAND respect.
  • Sinistrous
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    People treat you how you let them. DEMAND respect.

Yeah, I almost sunk my knife into a dude's car for honking his illegal horn at me at a gas station. That would have demanded jailtime if I got caught. My car was slow, so I weighed my options.. And no LOL.

-another story-
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Yeah, people do treat me different. Mostly in how they eat around me, to be honest. My same friends that I used to eat a truckload of food with, now order salads/vegetarian options when they go out with me.

Also, when I was fat, I was told how I was a "big girl" and I must "love to eat!" now that I am thin I get "dont be a skinny *kitten*" when I skip the fries, and "you are just naturally thin"

• sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    yes they do.

I often think about gaining all the weight back so I know that they really like me for my personality...
  • Sinistrous
    sentaruu wrote: »
    yes they do.

I often think about gaining all the weight back so I know that they really like me for my personality...

Oh, that's easy to answer coming from me. You had a pic that barely showed you, I still laughed at your comments.

Yes from me. Other judges' votes, anybody?