3pm Pick Me Up :)

Options
I have a major sweet tooth - love chocolate, lollies, cakes etc. However they are so high in calories, sugar and fat most of the time..
My major crash is just after lunch, when I feel I need something sweet to pick me up for the afternoon... but of course don't want to blow the calories for the rest of the afternoon/evening.

I have fallen in love with Jarrah Chai Latte - Vanilla Spice - it is a powdered drink to which you add hot water to. And all in all its only 66 calories!! It hits my sweet tooth for the rest of the afternoon.

For those in NZ - you should find it avaliable in most supermarkets, I do know Countdown stock it!
For those around the world - maybe you have an alternative you would like to share...

Replies

• LizaD
    LizaD Posts: 2
    Options
    I love chai tea too, but if you want a chocolate hit, try a fat free fudgesicle. 40 calories and if you suck them you can make them last ages lol!
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i live in the US...i wish they sold that here because it sounds delicious!!
  • ameliafaith
    ameliafaith Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried mixing a cake mix with a diet soda? i have heard its really good white cake mix with strawberry soda. you can use any diet pop. there are no other ingredients and it lessens the calories greatly.
  • danyelle67
    danyelle67 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I my want for chocolate in the afternoon at work, I love Emerald dark cocoa almonds, they are so yummy and good for you:) Hope you like them~~~
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I was dying for a candy bar tonight and had a Tootsie Roll Pop instead. 60 calories and fat free! It lasts a lot longer than the Snickers I would have devoured!
  • MDichoso
    MDichoso Posts: 10
    Options
    I do the cake and soda thing--not only is it low in fat and lower in calories, but it's also a great way to make cake for those, like my son, who are allergic to eggs.

I also make brownie mix with pureed black beans--MUCH lower in fat and calories! You puree a can of black beans, drained and rinsed, with a can of water, then add it to a box of brownie mix and bake as directed on the box. YUM!

And then there is angel food cake from a box, made with some cocoa powder.

These are a few of my favorite things!

4063347.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jimjamjandles
    Options
    Have you ever tried mixing a cake mix with a diet soda? i have heard its really good white cake mix with strawberry soda. you can use any diet pop. there are no other ingredients and it lessens the calories greatly.

Tell me more! I love to bake, and want to compile some low calorie treat recipes :) Sounds delish!
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I always have me a Diet Swiss Miss hot cocoa when I am craving chocolate....25 calories!
  • ameliafaith
    ameliafaith Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    try going to hungrygirl.com. She has many ideas for low calorie deserts. And she has a lot of recipes on her website as well as in her books.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I have an addiction to starbucks skinny soy vanilla lattes...but instead I go home, get some loose chai tea leaves in the silver ball, add hot water and a cup of original almond milk (60 calories) and tada, I have my own chai latte lol...and WAY less calories
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    try going to hungrygirl.com. She has many ideas for low calorie deserts. And she has a lot of recipes on her website as well as in her books.

Totally agree - if you need a 'sweet,' Hungry Girl has lots of recipes for your sweet tooth that won't break your nutritional 'bank!' She uses canned pumpkin with brownie mix and cake mix in a lot of her recipes (you add NOTHING else - just the pumpkin).

One of the other things that "Hungry Girl" is a fan of is "Vita Tops" - you can DEFINITELY get your cake/sweet fix for lower calories/fat AND get in a lot of vitamins. You can order them online and they're sold in some grocery stores.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    These suggestions sound great! If you're looking to indulge in real, high quality chocolate without breaking the calorie bank, then Lindt makes a dark chocolate chili bar that is amazing! (they make other flavors too). The key is rationing. Every square is about 50 calories. To me, the chocolate is so rich that one square can be satisfying enough.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Vitamuffin Muffintops. The most satisfying and filling 100 calories I've ever found. I had to order a sampler pack from Amazon (no local stores carry), but am so glad I did. I have desk job and tend to crash around 3 pm, usually out of boredom. A Vita Muffin top satisfies my sweet tooth./ Debbie cake fix (even the non-chocolate ones are good) and I am actually full until dinner (which has NEVER happened!). Check them out!!
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    These suggestions sound great! If you're looking to indulge in real, high quality chocolate without breaking the calorie bank, then Lindt makes a dark chocolate chili bar that is amazing! (they make other flavors too). The key is rationing. Every square is about 50 calories. To me, the chocolate is so rich that one square can be satisfying enough.

I so want to try that chocolate. I've heard it is really good. I picked up recently some dark chocolate "chips" (for lack of a better term). They look like pringles but smaller and have rice crisps in them. A serving is 12 for 230 calories, but I usually only eat 4 for about 60 cal and they satsify my sweet tooth.
  • maryann1002
    Options
    I have made this and it is delicious. the other one I like is a box of angel food cake mis and a can of crushed pineapple. That is really yummy.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    When I my want for chocolate in the afternoon at work, I love Emerald dark cocoa almonds, they are so yummy and good for you:) Hope you like them~~~

I seriously love these! I either buy them in the prepackaged 100 calorie packs or I separate them in baggies when I buy them. Otherwise I'd eat them all :smile:
    I've also become addicted to North Sea Iced Mocha mix. It's a little packet (20 calories, no sugar) that you add to one cup of water or milk. I usually mix mine with half water and half skim milk. It's soooooooo delicious!