What is THE best, #1 core move?

Options
2»

Replies

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge believer in "sport specific training", but for my core work I like to do loaded versions of what my core muscles actually need to do. Farmer walks, weighted get-ups and twists etc are my favorites.
  • Sickpuppyapb
    Sickpuppyapb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    any type of plank
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    the format of the question is silly. there's tons of great things you can do for you core despite the SQUATS OR DEADLIFTS OR GTFO mantra of the MFP forums. but asking for The One Move For Ever and Ever makes the question impossible to answer. your core does several vital things (rotating, bending, extending, resisting bending and rotation, flexing) so thinking of it in terms of "okay, i'll do something for my core but just this one thing" is counterproductive.

if you're going to do it, then do it, and to hell with what the forums think.

True. But I just don't have time (or desire) to add 4 or 5 core moves to my routine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If I were to only do ONE core move for the rest of my life, which should I do? Go.

The best is the one you do.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    An S&C that I'm in school with told me about an exercise he has his athletes do, which is the Single-Arm DB Farmer's Carry. I tried them this morning and it is pretty awesome. Start light to see how far you can push yourself but the heavier loads to challenge you to maintain good posture.
  • jkwanda
    jkwanda Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Turkish getups are good ones imo.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    the format of the question is silly. there's tons of great things you can do for you core despite the SQUATS OR DEADLIFTS OR GTFO mantra of the MFP forums. but asking for The One Move For Ever and Ever makes the question impossible to answer. your core does several vital things (rotating, bending, extending, resisting bending and rotation, flexing) so thinking of it in terms of "okay, i'll do something for my core but just this one thing" is counterproductive.

True. But I just don't have time (or desire) to add 4 or 5 core moves to my routine.

But the different exercises work different muscles within the core. So I guess you need to figure out which ones you want to work most for your specific goal.

• PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Planks or Burpees
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I'm getting more into training for mountain bike racing. I figured I should add in a core specific move since core strength is important for biking. I've been doing compound (squats, deads, bench, etc) lifting for a good 3 years.

With the lifts you currently do, if you use heavy weight (so it's a struggle to complete the last rep), you probably have overkill strength for mountain bike racing. Don't you feel your abs more on your lifts than racing?

The lifts you mentioned do under-train rotation/anti-rotation, and racing has much of that. Personally i cover that with things like the 1-arm cable chest press, so core exercises play a minor role in my routine. But if you want overkill rotation strength, the torso rotation machine is probably the best, since it's highly isolating.

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Front levers. *runs*
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Then alternate them. You don't have to do the same routine every time! There isn't one exercise that is going to be as effective for all of your core as a variety of exercises.

I'm a long distance cyclist with a dodgy back so do quite a lot of core and ab work but I do a whole variety at different times from low rep strength work to high rep strength endurance work.

Gym ball.
    Bent knee sit ups.
    Hanging leg raises.
    Cable crunches.
    Cable twists.
    Push ups.
    Single dumbbell side bends.
    Pull ups plus other bodyweight exercises....
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    TBH I don't do any core work. By the time I've done all the compound and bodyweight stuff, my abs are wrecked. I know of at least one person who only does the likes of deadlifts and squats yet has a "Men's Health cover" body. He also likes his wine so chin chin!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You don't have to do them all every day. I don't.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

You don't have to do them all every day. I don't.

Exactly. Core training is important but it doesn't mean you have to annihilate your Core every session either. I do 1 to 2 Core exercises tops on training days and a max of 3 sets, but typically 1 to 2 sets.