Fit Bit, Garmin, Jawbone.. others - which is best??

Options
Hi
I'm looking for some advice from people who currently use a gadget, such as the FitBit, to track & sync progress (ie steps walked, calories burned) with MFP.

I'm based in the UK and am looking for something which would work with my Iphone 5C. Have been looking at FitBit Zip and FitBit One - anyone have suggestions for others I could compare with? Are these actually any good or is it all hype??

Hope you can help, thanks for reading :smile:

Replies

• trink4
    trink4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit. I just got the fitbit charge HR. It measures my heart rate and I feel like that gives me a better indication of how many calories I am burning a day. I have been moving more since I got the fitbit. It motivates me to exercise so I can hit my minimum steps per day.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I thought the HR wasn't out just yet! I want one. I just got the flex..I am thinking about returning it and getting the HR.
  • ToniaH75
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Flex and i love mine!! There are others out there that have more but i don't need something to tell me when i have a call or an email or what time it is,that's what i have my phone for. It does what i want it to do. The best thing is to research them and find something that you want and what is right for you and your lifestyle.
  • mr3thirty5
    mr3thirty5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using the Garmin Vivosmart, and I really enjoy it.
    *The band itself is comfortable
    *The app is easy to use
    *Control your phone's music player
    *Displays text & Facebook Notifications
    *Displays incoming calls
  • minimum13
    minimum13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm still researching but swayed by the FitBit at the moment.
  • TinaLauritsen
    TinaLauritsen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Try Withings Pulse, I've heard so much bad stuff about FitBit, like it registered that you walk even though you are sitting still. I've had the Pulse since June, never had any problems, and it syncs perfectly with MFP :)
  • shakeitoffniz
    shakeitoffniz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Zip and I LOVE it. I'm considering upgrading to a FitBit One or a FitBit Flex, but it has definitely got me moving more and it syncs perfectly with MFP - even your food and exercise logs sync, not just your steps :)

PS if anyone has any feedback on the FitBit One or FitBit Flex, please let me know :)
  • oriana1990
    oriana1990 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP24 and I love it. The app is super easy to use, you can track steps, sleep, food etc... it gives you a mark out of 10 for nutrition! It also sometimes will give you challenges, for example today I got a notification that said "You haven't been walking as much as usual lately, try and do x number of steps today" and you can either accept the challenge or not, but it's definitely been making me walk more. I'm really looking forward to their next band...there will apparently be pulse sensors and similar to more accurately show calories burned during exercise!
  • top_mom
    top_mom Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    just ordered the fitbit charge hr yesterday.. can t wait.. i have heard so many great things about fitbit!!
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've had a flex for quite a long time and I love it. I was thinking of getting the Charge HR when it comes out. But the one thing I do love about the Flex is tha I can change out the colors on the band and the color options are actually pretty good.
  • empireman85
    empireman85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone UP24 and have enjoyed it since last summer. I've ordered the new UP3 and hope it arrives sometime soon.
  • thismamarox
    thismamarox Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you can, get something with a heart rate monitor on it. I have the Garmin Vivofit with HR and I have the fitbit Zip. Yesterday I wore both of them to see how close they track. They were pretty close all day (only about 50 calorie difference between them) until I went to the gym and used my HR monitor. My Zip told me I burned 1780 calories all day and my vivofit told me I burned 2300. The HR monitor stays on while I do cardio and I lift. That is a pretty big difference in calories burned. I think it makes a huge difference when you are trying to adjust your calories in, so you are not under eating.

With that being said, I really like the fitbit software much more than the Garmin Software. I think it is just easier to use, and lately a lot of people on here have been having issues with it not working properly. I know the Fitbit HR just came out a couple days ago for $149.00 which is comparable to the price of other bands. Just for the simplicity of the software, I wish I would have stayed with Fitbit, but I still like the functionality of the Vivofit :) Hope this helps!
  • erindunphy
    erindunphy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    mr3thirty5 wrote: »
    I'm currently using the Garmin Vivosmart, and I really enjoy it.
    *The band itself is comfortable
    *The app is easy to use
    *Control your phone's music player
    *Displays text & Facebook Notifications
    *Displays incoming calls

Another vote here for the Vivosmart, I love mine! Another awesome feature for me is it's waterproof up to 50 metres, so I can wear it scuba diving :) When you reach your step goal for the day it shows a little fireworks animation, which may not be necessary, but it's surprising how motivating it is lol It makes my day to see those fireworks :) Also the music control feature is lovely when I'm outside walking
  • minimum13
    Options
    Hi - thanks everyone for your feedback on here, its really helpful. I've been looking at the various options mentioned on here. Liking the fitbit one at the moment, Fitbit seems to have a lot of fans on here and the fitbit one isn't a wristband, which means I could wear it everyday. A wristband style would have to be left at home some days, depending on work priorities.
  • mrsmadeinva
    Options
    Fitbit. My job sells them and I'm thinking of investing in one myself!!
  • hollypend
    hollypend Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ok I have a fitbit flex - love the colored band, simplicity, integration with apps, and the vibrating party on your wrist when you hit your goal. (Although fireworks sound great, too!)

I had one go bad after like four months - just wouldn't charge. Went back and forth with them and they did replace it. After another three monthsish, the same thing happened.

So sad. I was in the middle of two out of state moves at the time and just couldn't deal with it. I won't get another flex as a result. My hubby and I are both in the market again.
  • TimHenderson85
    Options
    I'm impressed with Garmin Vivosmart. Great unit as its a little smaller/discrete on my wrist. Good Bluetooth range no buttons and the screen is invisible when not active. Tracks sleep really well and has a silent alarm which is really good at waking you up (vibrates on wrist) only downside is the app. It's not a streamlined as others but it does sync and display all the data you need. Coupled with MFP and Libra runtastic scales it is a really nice combo.
  • amy_j28
    amy_j28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I purchased a fitbit zip, and it's nice but I usually forget to put it in my pocket. Quite a few people I work with have the fitbit flex, and don't have very good reviews about their quality (Along the same lines as what hollypend mentioned above... they've had to send them in for bad batteries multiple times).

I myself am looking forward to purchasing a Vivofit, so thanks for posting this!
  • minimum13
    Options
    aljuso wrote: »
    I purchased a fitbit zip, and it's nice but I usually forget to put it in my pocket. Quite a few people I work with have the fitbit flex, and don't have very good reviews about their quality (Along the same lines as what hollypend mentioned above... they've had to send them in for bad batteries multiple times).

I myself am looking forward to purchasing a Vivofit, so thanks for posting this!

I've read quite a lot of reviews for fitbit zip & one from people who attach it to their bra strap. This sounds like it could be a winner for me... either that or leave it with my watch, overnight - it will need to be somewhere I won't forget it every day :smile:
  • Bailey_Bonfire
    Bailey_Bonfire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the striking fusion and the fit it one. Like them both