Any thoughts on Dr. Joseph Mercola and Nutritional Typing?

Options
http://www.mercola.com

I was looking around for a farmer's market in my area and stumbled upon this. Anyone with any thoughts about it please post.

Cheers!

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure what that's about, other than trying to sell a book. That website has no real information.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am familiar with Dr Mercola.. . a little bit anyway. I do read a lot of articles by people who have some views on nutrition that seem to be against the grain of the old fashioned food pyramid. i like him, I like to read his views. Is there a specific topic you are wondering about?

I also read a lot from the Weston A Price Foundation. It's non-profit and he believes in eating natural farm foods, he doesn't believe fat is bad, just processed food is bad, etc.
  • brandilea_willoughby
    Options
    Everything I have read about him so far seems to make sense. I know the USDA is slowly poisoning us if we don't make conscious and active decisions to eat healthy. Buried in his site somewhere is a link to determine your nutrition type and a free cookbook. And its not too far in because I wasn't searching too hard for it. Was mainly just curious about what others thought about his techniques and methods.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Just one thought -- I used to read a lot of magazines and articles about Yoga and some of the lifestyle differences between India and the US. One thing I recall that was really close to "Nutritional Typing" is Ayurveda. In that philosophy, everybody has a different body type or dosha and once you find out what that type is, you change your diet in a few key ways that will allow your body to be more balanced and healthy. It's kind of a "mind/body/spirit" type of transformation.

I don't think it's a huge leap to say that different people digest and handle food differently, and it would make sense that some people would need to eat differently to achieve a balanced and healthy lifestyle. I'm just not 100% convinced that anybody has truly figured this out yet.
  • brandilea_willoughby
    Options
    I wasn't aware of the Yoga practices but that train of thought makes sense to me.
  • brandilea_willoughby
    Options
    Yes I agree with a lot of his information about processed foods. I think I am going to try it for a few weeks and see where I get with it. The typing test was free and I am a "protein type". It's hard to find fresh produce around here that isn't from kroger or meijer but I am going to check into some local farmer's markets, there is one in the nest town over.