the twinkie diet method

Options
what is your opinion on the twinkie diet method. just saw it online, its on CNN. before i looked at it my question was: "if you are eating under your calorie goal does it make a difference what you eat when if comes to weight loss. for example if you eat 1400 calories a day but you only eat carbs will that make any difference for weight loss. Im not talking about whether its healthy or not just in terms of weight loss" After looking at the article it made me think I was doing the right thing because I am almost always under goal but sometimes I think I should change my diet because Im losing less than 2 pounds a week if at all. What do you think?

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OMG I TWINKIE I LOVE YOU!!!!

ETA: But bad idea, 125 cals (or so) each (idr), a lot of air, all the sugar.. No no.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    4buj1w8wix10.jpg
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    When setting up a nutrition plan, I consider a few things.
    1. Is this plan healthy for me to be on?
    2. Does this plan promote progress towards my fitness goal?
    3. Am I going to be satisfied on this plan?
    4. Can I see myself doing this same nutrition plan (with modified calories) for the next 10 years?

If I answer yes to these questions, I think the plan is best for me. If not, I need to re-evaluate. I think that it's best to consider long-term health and success when setting up a nutrition plan. Working towards show term goals is great, but you don't want to do things that will make it more difficult to maintain your hard-fought for results long term.

What is your diet plan like?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Sure you could lose weight on a diet of junk food but your health is going to suffer. Your body needs vitamins and minerals which most junk food just doesn't have. Plus, you'd probably be starving all of the time, your blood sugar would bounce up and down... you'd generally be miserable.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I think that's a great question. You will lose weight if you burn more than you consume.

It all comes down to what your goals are and how you feel. I like to get the most "bang" for my calories... but I also like to know that I can eat whatever I want and still live a healthy lifestyle. I've lost weight while eating McDonalds quarter pounders... but I had to be hungry for parts of my day to do it. On the days were I don't work out... this is fine for me. Sometimes it's really worth it. On the days that I do work out, I try to eat things that make me feel full and energized for my workouts.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If that's all you're eating, that wouldn't be good, but a person could lose weight anyway.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It's not a "diet", it's a gimmick designed to prove that calorie deficits always work, no matter the food. Just apply the same principal to regular food and you'll be much better for it and still lose weight.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It's not a "diet", it's a gimmick designed to prove that calorie deficits always work, no matter the food. Just apply the same principal to regular food and you'll be much better for it and still lose weight.

This. You'll lose weight, but will be miserable and not very healthy. Calories in v. Calories out.

• neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    v8pcxymng50n.jpg

Not really a Twinkie guy, but oh sweet Jesus!!!

• Selina_Kyle_60
    Selina_Kyle_60 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone. I don't think you're understanding what I meant though. Im not saying to eat twinkies as a diet. Its just to show that it is possible to eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you stay under your calorie goal. I was thinking about going low carb but it would be difficult. I take blood thinner medication to prevent stroke and blood clots and I have to take it, not optional. unfortunately I cant eat anything green while on this medication. green foods have vitamin k which interact negatively with my medication. so no lettuce, broccoli, spinach, avocado... etc. I hate it and makes it difficult to be healthy. If I did low carb it would be meat alone for the most part. as it stands I eat a lot of carbs, about 50% of my diet If not more so even though ive been under my goal and losing weight, its been slow. so I was wondering if I should keep doing this or consider something else.
  • sarstar1
    sarstar1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Losing 1-2 lbs per week is actually the recommended amount to have long term, permanent weight loss. Hopefully because you are making a lifestyle change to be healthier instead of just crash dieting. I think the Twinkie diet is an great example of a diet meant solely to lose weight but definitely not healthy for you. You will gain that weight back when you go off of it because you haven't actually learned anything.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint. You didn't put the weight on at 2lbs a week, why are surprised that it takes longer to lose it?

Eat what works for you and eat at a calorie defecit based on your TDEE.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    For me personally as long as I eat at a deficit I lose weight, I know some people who that doesn't work for. Personally I've never understood people's love for twinkies (I think they're gross). I would talk with your doctor before going low or no carb since you have medical issues, just to make sure there aren't any risks to doing so.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose weight as long as you have calorie deficit. However I think that body composition and health ought to be considerations whenever developing a long term plan for your diet. Personally I would make getting enough protein a priority, as well as getting several servings of fruits and veggies. No foods are off limits or "bad" to me, but I do try to eat in a way that promotes satiety. Then there should be room to spend your extra calories on things like ice cream or cookies or whatever.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    gjabouin wrote: »
    thanks for the help everyone. I don't think you're understanding what I meant though. Im not saying to eat twinkies as a diet. Its just to show that it is possible to eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you stay under your calorie goal. I was thinking about going low carb but it would be difficult. I take blood thinner medication to prevent stroke and blood clots and I have to take it, not optional. unfortunately I cant eat anything green while on this medication. green foods have vitamin k which interact negatively with my medication. so no lettuce, broccoli, spinach, avocado... etc. I hate it and makes it difficult to be healthy. If I did low carb it would be meat alone for the most part. as it stands I eat a lot of carbs, about 50% of my diet If not more so even though ive been under my goal and losing weight, its been slow. so I was wondering if I should keep doing this or consider something else.

If 50% of your calories now are carbs, you would have a very difficult time sustaining a low-carb diet. The best method for weight loss is simply to consume less calories than your body burns. To answer your question, no, it doesn't matter what food the calories come from as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

As others have said, try to find foods that you enjoy that keep you full and energized. But there is no reason why you can't have a treat once in a while, or even every day, so long as it fits into your allotted calories.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    gjabouin wrote: »

If it's been working, why change? If going low carb is difficult or even dangerous because of your medical condition, why even consider it. A caloric deficit is all that is required for weight loss. Low carbers will tout the quick weight loss in the first few weeks, but this is mainly water weight. Studies show that over the long term, caloric deficit is key. Low carb isn't anything special.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Garbage in Garbage out...
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Any food works for weight loss.

If you wanted to, you could eat a diet of pure, granulated, table sugar with shot glass of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) for a chaser ... as long as you kept under you calorie quota and maintained a deficit you'd still be losing weight consistently.

I wouldn't advise it, though.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could lose weight by eating nothing but Twinkies, as long as you ate fewer calories than you burned.

That being said, you could lose weight by exclusively eating dog poop if you wanted to. I'm sure there are calories and an appropriate macro balance in there if you look hard enough.