Options

Replies

• quickjeff
    quickjeff Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    quickjeff wrote: »
    18 pounds in six months is totally reasonable..I mean if you lost one pound per week that would actually be a 24 pound loss ….< and you can do that WHILE eating carbs….it really is about calorie deficit...

what are your stats ..age/height/weight?

are you using MFP method or TDEE method?

Age 27 / 5'8 / 178.6

I don't really have a method. I just keep track of what I eat and workout 5-6 times per week at the moment.

when you first signed up for MFP did you enter your state into it and what not …???

5-8 178 is not really that over weight for a male..

as a reference point I am a 5-10 35 years old and and 183.5 …in my profile pic I was about 176 …

if you dropped down to 165 - 170 and incorporated a heavy lifting program you would probably see some nice results…

I assume you go to a gym right now? Have you ever thought about some kind of lifting program…???

When I first signed up for MFP, I did register but I did it through the iOS app. So I guess you can say I use the MFP method.

In regards to your gym question:
    Yes, I suffered a shoulder injury and had surgery 2 years ago. I am now getting into weights again. This year. I am slowing starting with body weight exercises, like burpees, push ups etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    18 pounds in six months is totally reasonable..I mean if you lost one pound per week that would actually be a 24 pound loss ….< and you can do that WHILE eating carbs….it really is about calorie deficit...

Age 27 / 5'8 / 178.6

I don't really have a method. I just keep track of what I eat and workout 5-6 times per week at the moment.

when you first signed up for MFP did you enter your state into it and what not …???

as a reference point I am a 5-10 35 years old and and 183.5 …in my profile pic I was about 176 …

if you dropped down to 165 - 170 and incorporated a heavy lifting program you would probably see some nice results…

I assume you go to a gym right now? Have you ever thought about some kind of lifting program…???

When I first signed up for MFP, I did register but I did it through the iOS app. So I guess you can say I use the MFP method.

Yes, I suffered a shoulder injury and had surgery 2 years ago. I am now getting into weights again. This year. I am slowing starting with body weight exercises, like burpees, push ups etc.

did you put in one pound per week weight loss when you signed up?

My suggestion would be to look into a strength training program like strong lifts, or 5x5 < both are great beginner programs and you can ease into them. You can still do some cardio just do it on your off days.

slowly introduce carbs back into your diet and go for 40% protein/30%carbs/30% fats..
    If MFP is set to one pound per week loss then eat to that number.

^ I think if you did that you would be impressed with the results by June..

I know that it sounds like a radical change, but IMO it would be for the better….
  • quickjeff
    Options

Age 27 / 5'8 / 178.6

My suggestion would be to look into a strength training program like strong lifts, or 5x5 < both are great beginner programs and you can ease into them. You can still do some cardio just do it on your off days.

slowly introduce carbs back into your diet and go for 40% protein/30%carbs/30% fats..

I know that it sounds like a radical change, but IMO it would be for the better….
    Thank you very much! Greatly appreciate it. I set it to 2 lbs per week. I guess my issue is having to stay super strict for 6 months. I wanted to lose the weight by March and then maintain.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Age 27 / 5'8 / 178.6

Thank you very much! Greatly appreciate it. I set it to 2 lbs per week. I guess my issue is having to stay super strict for 6 months. I wanted to lose the weight by March and then maintain.

no problem man ..

I would suggest going ahead and bumping up to one pound per week loss.

at your age/heigh/weight you can drop a pound per week, start lifting, and see some nice fat loss and start to transform your body..

just my .02. .
    good luck to you …
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    In addition to the rest, your calories are too low, you really should hit 1800 a day.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1400 is super low for you. I'm a 5'3" female and eat that much on my non workout days. There's no need to have such a deficit. Losing so quickly might mean that you gain it back just as fast. Been there, done that.
  • saaarbear7
    Options
    Just from experience and what I've learned, if you are constantly working out (I.E. 4-5 days a week) you need to take in a lot of carbs. That is what's going to help you bulk up and gain muscle mass but in return burn off excess fat. Leave out the fruit. Maybe one serving every other day. Fruit is all high glycemic index carbohydrates. That means that your body cannot process the sugars in the carbohydrates as quickly as they are going to digest. Which in return leads to a greater amount of subcutaneous fat. It is actually very oxymoronic towards weight loss and toning. You can eat as many green veggies as you want. Also, cut out any dairy products whatsoever. Dairy causes water retention, no one wants bloat. Water retention from dairy, causes your blood pressure to rise. When your blood pressure goes up, it makes it harder for your blood to pump to the body which in return slows down your metabolic rate. A slower metabolic rate leads to the burning of calories and carbohydrates at a slower pace. Sorry for all the info, just trying to help you and whoever else reads this!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    saaarbear7 wrote: »
    Just from experience and what I've learned, if you are constantly working out (I.E. 4-5 days a week) you need to take in a lot of carbs. That is what's going to help you bulk up and gain muscle mass but in return burn off excess fat. Leave out the fruit. Maybe one serving every other day. Fruit is all high glycemic index carbohydrates. That means that your body cannot process the sugars in the carbohydrates as quickly as they are going to digest. Which in return leads to a greater amount of subcutaneous fat. It is actually very oxymoronic towards weight loss and toning. You can eat as many green veggies as you want. Also, cut out any dairy products whatsoever. Dairy causes water retention, no one wants bloat. Water retention from dairy, causes your blood pressure to rise. When your blood pressure goes up, it makes it harder for your blood to pump to the body which in return slows down your metabolic rate. A slower metabolic rate leads to the burning of calories and carbohydrates at a slower pace. Sorry for all the info, just trying to help you and whoever else reads this!

Brotastic.

Do you have any sources for these claims, I'd be interested to read them?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    A low carb diet is not for people who are exercising. When the body needs fuel during exercise, it won't be able to get it from fat, but it can get it very easily from sugar.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

Brotastic.

Do you have any sources for these claims, I'd be interested to read them?

I agree with the part about increased carbs for building muscle....

the rest...yes, broscience...
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Should've stopped there. Everything else is derp
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    if I was eating that insanely amount of low carbs and hitting the gym 5-6 days I would be a whiny you know what..

OP - do you have some kind of medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs?

and out of curiosity, how do you define "clean"…?

Clean for me is = poultry, steak, fish. Lean meats, low carbs only to cut fat as quickly as possible. Basically to get more of a keto effect.
    You won't get a "keto effect" with 72g of carbs.

Anyway, you don't need to be keto to lose fat. Are you trying to cut fat and build muscle at the same time? Because... good luck with that at 1400kcal.

• ndj1979
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    if I was eating that insanely amount of low carbs and hitting the gym 5-6 days I would be a whiny you know what..

OP - do you have some kind of medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs?

Clean for me is = poultry, steak, fish. Lean meats, low carbs only to cut fat as quickly as possible. Basically to get more of a keto effect.

Anyway, you don't need to be keto to lose fat. Are you trying to cut fat and build muscle at the same time? Because... good luck with that.

OP clarified on page one that he just wanted "faster fat loss" gains because he has a vacation in June...

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Anyway, you don't need to be keto to lose fat. Are you trying to cut fat and build muscle at the same time? Because... good luck with that.

OP clarified on page one that he just wanted "faster fat loss" gains because he has a vacation in June...
    Oh, OK. Well, I still think he should lift and eat more. :-)

• ndj1979
    Options

that was my recommendation as well...and to eat more carbs...

I think he may follow it we shall see...
  • kelly30mad
    Options

Hope u don't mind me askin!!! Im working out 3-4 times a week, I do boxing conditioning and suspension body weight work outs.. I jus need to sort my eating out now and get the weight off.. Im havin slice of bread and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter wit a banana, thas pre work out I then hav a protein shake after my workout. I'll have 2 eggs then later on chicken broccoli and spinach.. I snack on 10g of cashew nuts.. On the nutrition chart it says I'm goin over my fat intake
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kelly30mad wrote: »

Hope u don't mind me askin!!! Im working out 3-4 times a week, I do boxing conditioning and suspension body weight work outs.. I jus need to sort my eating out now and get the weight off.. Im havin slice of bread and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter wit a banana, thas pre work out I then hav a protein shake after my workout. I'll have 2 eggs then later on chicken broccoli and spinach.. I snack on 10g of cashew nuts.. On the nutrition chart it says I'm goin over my fat intake

calorie deficit = fat loss

so if you are over on fat, but under on calories you will still lose...

what are your goals...fat loss/body recomp/etc?
  • kelly30mad
    Options

Thank u!!! Was worrying I was doin it wrong..

Main aim at the moment is to get the weight off!!!! I know I hav muscle definition somewhere under neath lol..

Other thing is shld I be lifting heavy sets yet???

If u cld give me any tips wld be so greatful...
  • quickjeff
    Options

that was my recommendation as well...and to eat more carbs...

I think he may follow it we shall see...

Thanks for Everyone's input! Truly appreciate it! I will increase the calories and carbs some more. Also working on lifting more. I am trying to burn fat and gain muscle.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Thank u!!! Was worrying I was doin it wrong..

Main aim at the moment is to get the weight off!!!! I know I hav muscle definition somewhere under neath lol..

Other thing is shld I be lifting heavy sets yet???

If u cld give me any tips wld be so greatful...

if your primary goal is fat loss then just keep eating in a deficit and do not worry so much about macros/food type...

I would suggest looking into the following programs - 5x5, strong lifts, or new rules of lifting for woman ...

Lifting heavy is what is heavy for you ..so if a exercise calls for 3 sets @ 8 reps and you can only lift 25# for 8 reps then that is heavy for you ...